wheelarch vent search help needed

ns_sullivan

Hi all,

I have searched the site for the Wheelarch vent mod (PIKEY MOD II) with no avail. unfortunately my time on the pc is limited so I need some help please.

Can any of you (probably most of you) be able to point me in the correct direction for where the mod is placed on the site.

I have already moded the front grille (foglight surround) to allow more air flow inwards, now all I need to do is increase the outward flow and I am getting a little closer to getting teh car sorted.

1 step at a time. just can't find the time to sort everything at once...

I would like to get the part ordered ASAP as VRS goes into Skoda for a couple of things on 10th. I can pick any part up from them then...

Thank you all.

I have seen that mod, but the doesn't look so hot does it.

I was hoping to find the original pikey mod thread regarding the part listed below

8N0 821 172 B "WHEEL HOUSING" OS Front

this is from the Audi TT which comes as standard on the audi but oh so needed on the Fabia VRS...

I know there is a thread for this part as I have seen it, but just can't find it any more.

Lost and gone forever I presume.

All I did was mark dots every 3cm on a piece of paper. About 20cm x 30cm, then I stuck that to the inside of the arch and then drilled using a smallish drill bit on the dots. Hey presto - neat holes all in line

This looks a lot neater that the bathroom vent approach and the cr@p wont get through the holes. Plus cost £0!!

Can post a pic if people are interested

I have no pictures at present but to be honest with you all I did was cut out on the black part of the grill the back flat section either side of the fog light. basically just expanding on the holes that are already there.

No strength lost in the plastic and still looks original.

You just have to take your time with a stanley and go very slowly...

Will try and sort some pictures even if done with my phone and post them asap for you... keep this thread saved...

The picture posted in the previous thread link is a little drastic and takes out the strengthening strips from the grille shape, however if you just take some time and extend the open areas already cut you get a better finish...

Edited by ns_sullivan
spelling errors, what a wally

All I did was mark dots every 3cm on a piece of paper. About 20cm x 30cm, then I stuck that to the inside of the arch and then drilled using a smallish drill bit on the dots. Hey presto - neat holes all in line

This looks a lot neater that the bathroom vent approach and the cr@p wont get through the holes. Plus cost £0!!

Can post a pic if people are interested

:thumbup:

Please :)

You have to buy the whole wheel arch liner. The Audi price was £18.12 in April 2005. The PN is 8N0 821 172B and the description on the invoice is HOUSING.

Right just to stick my oar in. I had a look at my octy last night, the vent in the bumper looks like the fabia one after it has been butchered, its quite open and I could see the intercooler, several leaves and a few of bits of crap. There was a ding in the intercooler so it looks like something got in there at some point. Anyway I measured the area of the vent and it is approximately 20,000mm2 (sorry about the units), a quick internet search found that the louvred vents from B&Q have an area of about 9,000mm2 open, which is significantly less. Looking at the picture above of the drilled holes and assuming they are 6mm diameter this only gives an open area of 800mm2, a lot less - you would need about 480 holes to give the same area as a B&Q vent and over 1,050 to match the octy intake.

I would be interested to know what the open area of the TT vents are, for comparison (is there anyone who is sufficiently sad or bored to check?). I am assuming that the bigger the air flow the better but some is better than none. I know some people have said that the wheel arch is at greater than atmospheric pressure or that the airflow is too disturbed so this mod doesn't work but I found a website where a bunch of aussies (with too much time on their hands and an unhealthly fascination with wool) discovered that the wheel arch is actually a low pressure area (based on pressure measurements and using wool tufts stuck to the car so it should indeed work.

I'm going to try this mdo once I have a suitable vent to bodge into the wheel arch. I going to try and match the intake area for maximum airflow and effect (even though I have have a 110tdi...)

Right just to stick my oar in. I had a look at my octy last night, the vent in the bumper looks like the fabia one after it has been butchered, its quite open and I could see the intercooler, several leaves and a few of bits of crap. There was a ding in the intercooler so it looks like something got in there at some point. Anyway I measured the area of the vent and it is approximately 20,000mm2 (sorry about the units), a quick internet search found that the louvred vents from B&Q have an area of about 9,000mm2 open, which is significantly less. Looking at the picture above of the drilled holes and assuming they are 6mm diameter this only gives an open area of 800mm2, a lot less - you would need about 480 holes to give the same area as a B&Q vent and over 1,050 to match the octy intake.

I would be interested to know what the open area of the TT vents are, for comparison (is there anyone who is sufficiently sad or bored to check?). I am assuming that the bigger the air flow the better but some is better than none. I know some people have said that the wheel arch is at greater than atmospheric pressure or that the airflow is too disturbed so this mod doesn't work but I found a website where a bunch of aussies (with too much time on their hands and an unhealthly fascination with wool) discovered that the wheel arch is actually a low pressure area (based on pressure measurements and using wool tufts stuck to the car so it should indeed work.

I'm going to try this mdo once I have a suitable vent to bodge into the wheel arch. I going to try and match the intake area for maximum airflow and effect (even though I have have a 110tdi...)

Erm its only to relieve the warmish air. Its not like the air has to get out otherwise it'd come with a vent as standard.

If you also look the B&Q vent. You will notice not everyone cuts the whole area out behind it. Hence your "9,000mm2 open" is not quite that figure.

Next thing you'll be going on about diameters of the rubber pipe for the ccv mod

loads of ideas, and diferening oppinions on this one.

I am thinking I will go for the Audi TT grille as it looks the best and I feel if it works well enough on the TT to vent extra air pressure on the warm side the it will work just as well on my VRS.

"DGS" Loved the pictures of it fitted to the Ocy VRS.

Any advice on fitting seeing as you have done this already...

Mine will be looking the same... as soon as I purchase the part from Skoda, (they will get any VAG group part in so thats good)...

Cheers all

Edited by ns_sullivan
additional info...