Key hole

Bodge

Silly question, but is there a key hole under the little bit of plastic trim on my drivers side door?

I have remote central locking, so there is no exposed key hole on the drivers door handle, but I was wondering if there is a key hole hidden under the plastic cap, like alot of other cars.

Or is the only external key hole on my car the one in the boot lid?

Run a search on this forum for delocking; I'm pretty sure that's what's happened to your car. Normal spec is key locks on driver's door and boot.

I have one of the last MK1s and although the driver's door has a lock in it, my boot has a blanking plate where the key should go - it was delivered new like that.:confused:

That's odd, not seen one like that before!

I thought delocking the drivers door was a factory option??

I'm sure I've seen other Octy's with key-hole-less door handles like mine.

It's just my car was owned by two old farts before me, and the car was totally standard and untouched, so im sceptical of them having de-locking it.

I'll try and prise that cap off the handle and see what's underneath.

There are 2 reasons for delocking, looks and security, so I'd not presume that an old owner wouldn't bother.

Good point Ken.

So de-locking wasn't a factory option then?

OK I've just discovered something about my car. It all makes sense now!

As Fatty and Ken have said, my car's been de-locked! I didn't believe it at first, but you guys are right (I thought it was a factory standard thing). I looked at this thread: http://briskoda.net/octavia-i/delocked-my-octavia-today/79156/2/. Revealed alot. Sorry for not believing you guys!

I think at some point in my cars life, someone tried to break into it. They obviously damaged the drivers door lock, which was replaced with a de-lock kit to prevent future attempts. The reason this makes sense, is that the area around the door lock looks a bit pushed in, and there are two small dents either side of the lock. Until now, I had just dismissed this as someone slamming the door too hard too often. But now it ties up with someone pushing hard on the lock with a drill or something at some point. The door marks are very small, so I'll just get it repaired when i ding/scratch a panel one day and need it repaired.

Learning is fun!

If I ever caught someone breaking into my car/house I probably wouldn't be able to restrain myself from doing some very dark things to them. Thieves make me sick.

If I ever caught someone breaking into my car/house I probably wouldn't be able to restrain myself from doing some very dark things to them. Thieves make me sick.

I ended up with a bent passenger door and a smashed window when someone broke into my Octy :(