upgraded sound system

does anyone know what you get for £300. the brochure implies you get two extra speakers as the system steps up from 8 speakers to 10. seems a lot of money for 2 speakers !!! i had a chat with a dealer (james from allams) and he siad it wasnt 100% clear exactly what you got. wondered if anyone had any info as skoda uk never bother to reply to my emails !

I've ordered this with mine, so did a bit of research here.

My understanding is that the system has uprated speakers, different crossover points and two extra mid-range drivers in the front doors. You also get a 10-channel amplifier to drive the system (which I believe is mounted under the drivers seat).

Standard power output for the Columbus is 80W (4 x 20W). The premium system has a total power output of 250W.

The system is equivalent to the "RNS 510 Volkswagen Sound" which you can specify in the Passat CC. From the VW brochure, they say "This also has 10 loudspeakers, specially tuned to output power, analog 8-channel amplifier, output power 250 Watt."

So, it's not as good as Dynaudio, as you don't get the vehicle specific equaliser setup, but it's a significant step up from standard.

If I was going to do aftermarket audio, then I wouldn't have bothered with the premium system (it makes fitting a different system a pain in the bum). However, the Columbus is such a central part of the car, I won't ever be changing it. In that light, I reckoned anything that might improve the sound quality was worth giving a go.

I'm hoping that it will give a more balanced sound, and also give me more headroom when I crank it up a bit.

Bagpuss.

Edited by Bagpuss
Speeling mistooks

andy - as ever a comprehensive and useful reply !!!

shame skoda cant be bothered to explain what it is in the brochure and to their dealers !! no where have i come across any mention of the amp !!. when i tried the demos car the columbus was OK but i didn find its limitations. if i can do this on a one hour test drive i reckon living with it all the time i would be a bit disappointed. probably worth adding it - afterall its only 1.38% of the purchase price of the car !!!

Glad to be of help.

The problem with poor information is endemic across most of Skoda it would seem. My dealer has made several enquiries about this stuff to retailer support and parts supports. So far, nobody has bothered to get back to them.

I eventually found the information on a french Skoda forum.

I feel sorry for folks like James, who clearly want to know as much as they can, but just can't get the information from Skoda. It makes even the good dealers look bad in front of the customer.

Bagpuss.

To be honest Baggy, if i had that reply when I had asked about the upgraded audio I would have ordered it. I take it its a factory fit Item and can't be done after.

Sadly, it's factory fit only. I don't think it would be easy to retrofit either, as you'd need all new speakers, new front door panels, the wiring loom and the amplifier itself. Probably cost more in parts and time than it was worth.

Depending on when your car is due to be built, you might still be able to add it. If you are at least 3 weeks out from build, then you should be okay.

Bagpuss.

Edited by Bagpuss
Added bit about build weeks
  • Like 1

There is more about this in the pdf at skoda-auto.com

When I asked question of my dealer, he phoned Dealer Support and they said to refer to that pdf for information - even though its not part of the UK spec.

C

There is more about this in the pdf at skoda-auto.com

When I asked question of my dealer, he phoned Dealer Support and they said to refer to that pdf for information - even though its not part of the UK spec.

C

Just had a look Chris, and you are absolutely correct. It's not mentioned in the first edition of the brochure I've got, but it's in the second edition which dates from May this year.

The brochure also says that the system has a digital equaliser, so it could be that this system is the equivalent to the Dynaudio in the Passat.

Bagpuss.

If you want to add an option to your order you can't leave it as late as 3 weeks before the build date - although I understand that has been the general rule in the past (some say there was a sliding scale from 6 down to 3 weeks depending upon what the change is). I tried to add rear window sun blinds to my order about 6 weeks before the build week and it was rejected by SUK.

I'm not sure if there was a computer issue or if the factory embargoed changes to allow them to switch production to UK models in the hope they could bring forward orders.

One of the dealers has told me recently that this applies to all models and not just the Superb. It seems the only way to be sure you'll get an option is to include it in the initial order.

C

its not just skoda -Audi customer service are useless as well. there again...pay peanuts and get monkeys comes to mind !!!

If we're talking useless customer service, I think Mercedes need a big mention and servicing costs £150+ per hour. Extending a warranty for a 3 year old E class 320CDI is £1006 per year! I don't think those figures are peanuts either!

Sadly, it's factory fit only. I don't think it would be easy to retrofit either, as you'd need all new speakers, new front door panels, the wiring loom and the amplifier itself. Probably cost more in parts and time than it was worth.

Depending on when your car is due to be built, you might still be able to add it. If you are at least 3 weeks out from build, then you should be okay.

Bagpuss.

Fraid not, pick mine up on Monday, its like waiting for Christmas just now lol :D

Fraid not, pick mine up on Monday, its like waiting for Christmas just now lol :D

I know what you mean. Mine was built this week, and is now on it's way to the dealer. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.

Sounds like yours will definitely be the first customer car delivered to a Brisky member. Don't forget to post the piccies.

Bagpuss.

thanks for info. this is what the skoda-auto site says :

8. The Sound System with a 10-channel

amplifier plus a digital equaliser and ten

speakers will make the experience comparable

to one in a concert hall. The device is available

in combination with the Bolero radio or with

one of the two navigation systems we offer.

if you google "RNS 510" then all you find is the basic system with 4x20w output. the passat CC brochure might be misleading as the passatt system does use the RNS510 but its not clear what is added to this. i think you are right in what you say but its not veyr clear at all is it !!!

• 3 months later...

If you press the 'Tone' button, you will get the sound controls for the system.

In here, there will be equaliser settings, and also a soundfield setting (for driving, front and none). If these menus are both present, then the car has the sound system.

Bagpuss.

does anyone know what you get for £300.

A very, very loud stereo system ;) I have yet to be able to turn the volume up above half without risking serous eardrum damage (with any type of music).

Seriously, I took a punt with the stereo, even though when I ordered it my Skoda dealer had no idea what was included (apart from 2 more speakers), and am very glad I did. In their defence SUK support is awful, and they had no end of trouble getting any kind of response to questions we asked.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the RNS 510 output is compared to the speaker capability (ie, could you blow the speakers by having the volume too loud ?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Can anyone advise me?

Have just taken delivery of Superb Excelence with upgraded sound system. Pressing the TONE button brings up all the controls included those that Bagpuss said would be present. BUT the Mid, Bass and Treble controls don't do anything. Are they not used with the upgrade (ie replaced with equalise controls) or do you think mine are faulty

Trevor

Thanks for that, Blinks; Went to garage and all now seems to be working fine. As you say, if you have a piece of music with base drum beats and you switch the base up: WOW!!!

If the music doen't have much base or treble; and you have the volume low; the controls dont have much effect; but on a strong piece of music with the volume on high (and in this car that means anything above 25%) you can get knocked out of your seat

Thanks Again

Havent heard a Superb without the Audio upgrade but from what I have heard on mine with it, I would recomend it to anyone

Trevor

Totally agree with you, Trevor. Of all the options I went for, the only one I wouldn't be without is the sound system.

I have to say that Park Assist currently rates as the biggest waste of money. It's a nice toy to show off to friends, but I often find myself parking the old fashioned way, simply because park assist thinks the space is too small (when it's not). Still, it's only a little bit more then front sensors alone (which I do like).

Bagpuss.

interesting - i found park assist telling me i could fit in a space that i would have never have dreamt of attempting !! i tried it and it was a veyr tight fit but we got in !!

I havent actually used park assist properly in the 1st 1000 miles - just played about with it !!

oh well - like you say it only cost about 1.5 tanks of fuel !!!