Cracked Fuel Filter Housing on 2.0TDi 140

My 2.0TDi 140 is now 4 years old with just 41K on the clock. It's currently in the garage for MoT + Cambelt change + Water pump change (I like to play safe) + brake fluid change.

They've just rung me to say that the Fuel Filter housing is cracked and needs replacing otherwise they will fail the MoT. It doesn't appear to be a common problem based on this forum, but I thought I would ask anyway since it seems a bit poor for this unit to be cracked after just 4 years on a relatively low mileage. At least they won't be charging labour since they have to remove it anyway for the Cambelt change - but my total bill is now going to be over £700 :mad:.

Thanks

Andrew

They've just rung me to say that the Fuel Filter housing is cracked and needs replacing otherwise they will fail the MoT......

....... At least they won't be charging labour since they have to remove it anyway for the Cambelt change - but my total bill is now going to be over £700 :mad:.

Thanks

Andrew

Is it possible they cracked it when removing it to do the other work and now expect you to foot the bill? I would hardly expect this to be a perishable item prone to failure. It is not in a position to be knocked about and abused in daily driving. You would not even go near it in your weekly engine checks. Have you asked to see the cracks in the old housing. I certainly would before paying for it.

I had a cracked fuel filter housing on my 3year old 1.9Tdi PD a couple of months back. The first I knew about it was when the no-charge warning light came on the dash. The fuel-filter had leaked water over the alternator drive V-belt causing it to snap.

Sounds like some penny-pinching in the build quality department I'm disappointed to say.

Thanks to all for the replies. The "crack" was actually down to rust on the top of the Fuel Filter Housing - so it wasn't cracked in the normal sense, rather it seems to have rusted through. Hence, I don't believe it was maintenance induced.

I sent a note to Skoda UK Customer Services through their website and they were good enough to reply. They have investigated and can find no technical bulletins or information relating to premature failure of the Fuel Filter Housing. They also state that a repair of this type required after four years is deemed reasonable, adding that while the part has no moving components, corrosion will occur over time.

I sort of see where they are coming from - but in their response to me, Skoda UK omitted to recognise that a redesigned Fuel Filter Housing is now fitted in their cars. I suppose I will simply have to put up with it - the car has cost me virtually nothing in servicing or other issues prior to this four year glitch, so in overall terms I haven't done so bad!

Andrew

They also state that a repair of this type required after four years is deemed reasonable, adding that while the part has no moving components, corrosion will occur over time.

Components rusting to the point of failure inside the engine compartment seems hightly unreasonalble to me. Skoda/VAG obviously agree, hence the redesign - they just won't admit it.

Components rusting to the point of failure inside the engine compartment seems hightly unreasonalble to me. Skoda/VAG obviously agree, hence the redesign - they just won't admit it.

Are you talking about the untreated metal bit on the top?

The one that collects a pool of water because it is directly below the bonnet shut that lets the water in? The one that is obviously going to rust because of daft design?

I'll be painting mine with a thin layer of kurust i think, but why it isn't painted i don't know.

Are you talking about the untreated metal bit on the top?

The one that collects a pool of water because it is directly below the bonnet shut that lets the water in? The one that is obviously going to rust because of daft design?

I'll be painting mine with a thin layer of kurust i think, but why it isn't painted i don't know.

Yep that's the one. Good idea too!