Swapping to 15" wheels+tyres from 16" for winter - 1.9 TDi Est.

Hi,

I'm looking to swap the 16" alloys on my '08 1.9 TDi Elegance to steel rims for a trip to the Alps this winter. So I want to go from 205 x 55 x 16 to 195 x 65 x 15.

This is something I've done on my previous car (a Vectra - sorry - shouldn't swear) and I want to re-use the 15" tyres from the Veccy as there's plenty of tread left.

I've been in touch with the Skoda dealer who says 15" wheels won't fit due to the different profile of the wheel. 15" wheels are £35 inc VAT, but 16" ones are £50 inc. VAT.

This adds up to a whopping £320 for tyres and £200 for wheels. if I have to go the 16" way.

Surely this can't be the case (there must be loads of Octavia Classic's running around on 15" wheels) or do they fit different brake discs to the Elegance models? Is the dealer just misinformed?

Ideally I'd like to source a second-hand set of steels, but I'm unsure as to which wheel profiles are used across the VW/AUDI/SKODA ranges. I think it's 6J 5 x 112 R15 but I don't want to make an expensive mistake if buying second-hand.

Something you might like to think about. As an experiment I swopped the 15" wheels from my wife's Golf for the 17" wheels on my L&K to check whether there was an improvement in ride quality. Ride quality was much improved but directional stability, particularly on motorways was badly compromised. The car was very 'twitchy' and tended to wander. This was probably because the side walls on the 15" tyres are much taller and therefore more flexible. As a compromise I've now got 16" wheels on the L&K; this has affected the handling very slightly.

Thanks chavdarlk and bertj,

I'm now on the hunt for some 15" steels. bertj, I did experience a difference in handling (not as 'taut' and lighter steering) with the Vectra from 16" to 15" but did get used to it after a couple of days. Also found i tended to take it easier with the 15" on for the same reason and that improves roadholding in winter many times over!

chavdarlk, have you de-rated the speed of your winter tyres to something like a T rating? They seem to be much much cheaper (£35 a throw here) than the higher speed ratings.

Cheers,

Mark.

Roads here in Bulgaria are very bad :mad:. We have only two highways, with

speed limit of 80 mph. Other main roads are with speed limit of 56 mph and

lower. I'll use 91T tyres, and even this is far away from useable speeds.

I thought the Ambiante had 15" Helios alloys tho?? We had that on our pool car, and I did a lot of motorway driving...and that was not twitchy at all!

Perhaps the L&K has a different suspension set up to the Ambiente? I certainly noticed the difference between 17" and 15". BTW my L&K Estate has a DSG box which makes the car about 35kg heavier than the manual version so springs, etc. may be different.

i change each winter the 17 inch summer rims and tyres on my octy scout for 16 inch winter rims and tyres and the mrs comments on how smoother the ride is on the narrower rims ..(she is not a rapid point to point driver)

16in my case for this car is the min i would want to go for rubber

the winter tyres i use are 205/55 goodyear ultra grip 7 and normally good for 4 seasons/25000 km

Still dont see any point myself for here in the UK.

In colder countries/areas, some laws specify you must have winter tyres which then, yes, I understand a need.

Well winter tyres are separate type of tyre though with a different compound and tread. The thing is the number of winter tyres available in 16" up is limited and they are not cheap so you can buy 15" rims and a set of 15" winter tyres for less than a set of 16" tyres alone.

Also protects your alloys from the winter salt.

I guess it depends where in the UK you are really.

you can buy 15" rims and a set of 15" winter tyres for less than a set of 16" tyres alone.

Also protects your alloys from the winter salt.

Exactly :thumbup: - I'll get full set of 15" rims, tyres and hub covers for 496 Euro.

Alone, set of 16" winter tyres would cost me 520 Euro.

Corrosion of alloy is additional issue too.

Finally, there is even more cost reduction, avoiding tyre center operations (taking down tyre, ballancing, taking up, etc) - about 80 Euro (two times yearly).

chavrarlk,

Can I just ask what the code is on the 15" steel wheels you have? I need to get the exact type and offset for my car - there seem to be so many different offsets. I'm happy ordering 6J 5 x 112 R15's but even the dealer seems unsure of the right offset.

Many thanks.

OK, thanks for replying though.

I asked for some 15" wheels to suit my car through the local dealer. The spares department said it wasn't possible as the hub depth (I assume they meant offset) of the 15" wheel was different to the 16" ones. He would therefore only quote me for the 16" steels. They are £50 a piece and I still can't use my 15" winter tyres from my last car.

Surely it must be possible to run 15" wheels as the lower-spec Octavia II's have them.

Unbelievable the dealer isn't convinced of this.