Best thing since sliced bread?

There is always a wealth of discussion about tyres on Briskoda, with many of us having our personal preferences.

However, until I was flicking through Radio Times this afternoon and saw a full page avert, I had not heard of this new tyre;- Goodyear-Optigrip shorter braking distance, better aquaplaning resistance-Optigrip shorter braking distance, better aquaplaning resistance

Considering our frequently wet climate, the dangers of worn tyres not producing the grip and suffering badly from aquaplaning when tread depth reduces, is this new tyre the solution to all our evils?

Its worth having a good look around Goodyear's website but if you want to cut to the chase, here is the TUV report that makes very enlightening reading;- http://eu.goodyear.com/home_en/images/Optigrip_Short%20Report_PPT_modified_tcm67-46079.pdf

Available in all sizes for the Octavia except for those wearing 18s (maybe later?).

Has anyone got them fitted yet?

Its Damn good marketing

Reminds me of that 80's ad with that ex copper bloke Robert something

"I'm convinced the Goodyear Grand Prix-S is a major contribution to road safety":rofl:

Don't wish to sound like a cynic, hope they are great, but what about the trade off for better grip

More road noise or Worse fuel economy or both

Reading the TUV test, the technology used might have some benefits in the wet however as you can see this is at the expense of dry stopping distances.

While this isn't a huge difference in the dry I get the feeling that this would be noticably worse on a performance car or where people are giving it some beans due to the less solid tread blocks as the areas behind them are in places voided.

That plus the compound gets gripper so softer as the tyre wears which I assume means increased rate of tyre wear as the tread wears down.

Could be a very good all round tyre, assuming it copes well with low temperatures and a bit of snow.

I'd be interested to see how it would cope against some rain specific tyres, or performance tyres, FK452, Michelin Pilot Sport not Primacy HP etc.

Still I'll be interested to see how these develop and if the marketing is backed up with long term proof.

Reminds me of that 80's ad with that ex copper bloke Robert something

"I'm convinced the Goodyear Grand Prix-S is a major contribution to road safety":rofl:

I had a set of these in 185/70 13 on my RWD Vauxhall Cavalier with 100+ Octavo Alloys; the 'Goodyear Grand Prix S' was in white letters. :eek:

hmmm... As you suggested Bahnstormer that doesn't seem like a fair test to me given that the Optigrip is the ONLY directional tyre they have used. In addition a test of three tyres is hardly representative. Notwithstanding that SOME Goodyear tyres are good (Hydragrip) so it might be the same - although some a pretty awful as well (Eagle NCT 5).

I take tyre makers claims with a pinch of salt.

Having had the new so called wonder tyre 'F1 Asymetric' on my vRS, I found them not much better than the factory Continentals. Now gone back to the older gsd3 F1's and find them a lot better.

Won't be trying anything else in the short term.

• 2 years later...