Rear side sunblinds Or Sunset Glass

Rear Blinds OR Sunset Glass  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Rear Blinds OR Sunset Glass

• Rear blinds
    • Sunset glass

Hi,

I am leaning very strongly towards a Superb II Elegance 2.0CR TDI. I have a 15 month old and am wondering should I get the rear side window sun-blinds or the sunset glass option.

Is the sunset glass much darker then the front windows?

Does it make the car look odd eg should it all be dark or should it all be regular glass. I am buying a black metallic car?

Is it as effective as the sun-blinds for keeping harsh light of the baby?

I don't want to get the glass and then find that I need blinds as well. The cost in Ireland is:-

Blinds €191

Sunset glass €262

Anyone got a photo of their car with sunset glass that they could post or send to me?

Thanks

Anthony

or you could go the whole hog and order both like Bagpuss did !!

Flickr: andy.fox's Photostream

in my opinion the blinds are adequate. i dont like the "drug dealer" windows as they make the car look too dark inside. i like lots of light in the car. not sure why you would want both but each to their own !!

the factory fit blinds look pretty good and you do get on on the rear window as well although its a bit awkard to access and i dont think you need it as the little one will be low enough down in a kiddies seat. we have two small kids and not having privacy glass has never been a problem. we have those cheap stick on sunblinds - not very elegant but the doo the job for now. I have ordered the factory fit blinds in our new superb. the dealer fit blinds are pretty awful - i saw them in a showroom. the fixing method is awkward and you have to store them somewhere.

Hi Anthony.

Dont get either,when you get the car get the glass darkened by a professional.My daughter is visually impaired and is v sensitive to bright light and had my car done in 2004,still looks perfect.Dont know wnere in Ireland you are but I used a crowd in Blanchardstown.Will be using them again for new car in Jan.Yoy dont have to get Vdark tint there are different degrees of tint.Also the kids cant break it.

Hope this helps

JOHN

The reason 4 both!

passoverapril2008102bt6.jpg

The reason 4 both!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

didnt even know that the temp gauge woudl go that high !!

although Bagpus is unlikely to see temps like this in Cornwall !! (why did you go for both Andy ?)

The reason I went for both is because we had sunset glass in our Octy vRS, and in very bright sunlight the tinting wasn't quite enough to prevent discomfort for our daughter.

As I liked the looked of the sunset glass, I figured I'd simply add the blinds for those really bright days. Since getting the car, I've also noticed that our daughter puts the blind up when she wants to go to sleep. The decreased light really seems to help her nod off.

Another nice side effect is that the sunset glass in the rear screen really kills the glare from the headlights in the car following you. So much so, that you could probably do without the auto dimming rear mirror (which is a £50 option in the UK).

I've got to say that if you like 'pimp tints', going for an aftermarket tint might make more sense. That way, you can go slightly darker than the factory option. This avenue wasn't open to me, as mine is a company car, so I'm limited to manufacturer options only.

Bagpuss.

I had my Mk I done professionally by a company we use for security purposes (see note at bottom of post). Had the rear done with 80% film, and the front with 50% (which is less than legal, but looked better on the car)

About to get the new Mk II done as well, and this time going the whole hog, and having 95% on the back (which is limo black). I know it will probbaly make me look like a drug dealer, but I fancied a change, and with a black paintjob as well, I think it looks nicer.

As Bagpuss said about his rear view mirror, I found that the 80% I previously had was excellent for killing glare, and only idiots in BMW's ever caused the auto dimming function to kick in.

Note : The tint is also a security film that prevents the glass being broken from the outside (estimate about 20 mins with a sledgehammer to break through it) , but if in an accident, the broken window simply pushes out from inside with all the glass stuck to the film.

The reason I went for both is because we had sunset glass in our Octy vRS, and in very bright sunlight the tinting wasn't quite enough to prevent discomfort for our daughter.

Another nice side effect is that the sunset glass in the rear screen really kills the glare from the headlights in the car following you. So much so, that you could probably do without the auto dimming rear mirror (which is a £50 option in the UK).

Bagpuss.

I noticed the reduced headlight glare in the rear view mirror when I test drove a Astra Design Estate equipped with darkened rear side and tailgate glass.

I thought about adding Sunset glass to a Superb II, however, it might make it harder for our 16 month old son to see what's going on outside the car. Alternatively, the factory fit blinds look a reasonable alternative.

I however, it might make it harder for our 16 month old son to see what's going on outside the car.

thats what i thought. the kids like to see what is going on and the sunset glass makes is too dark for them to see.