Heater Control Playing Up.

PLukE

Hi.

My mum and dad have an 02 Fabia Silverline. The heater speed control doesnt work from "1-3" but does work on "4". I have seen the Tech Guide but am not sure if i need to do all that to this one?. It doesnt have Aircon either.

So do i need to take the radio and dash part all out to fix this?. And is there a part code and price.

Thanks in advance!.

Luke

Hi - which tech guide did you read.

You need to replace the resistor pack which sits kind of up behind the glovebox and to the right, behind the dash. A bit fiddly, but doable with patience.

I'm not 100% but the "series resistor" as it seems to be called is 6Q0 959 263. Would be good if someone else can confirm this though.

Oh, christ no! :D You don't need to gut all that out.

basically, hidden well behind the top part of the dash is a resistor pack. It even has 1 2 3 4 on it. This is what gradually dies and kills various settings. I replaced mine once I'd lost 1 & 2 as 3 was a little too powerful. :rofl:

Worth a PM to Lummox to check what I stated above is true and he should be able to guide you more into how to get at the resistor. From memory when I did it, I removed the glovebox and loosened the whole middle dash bit on the left side only, to make a little room. Was still a squeeze to get in and behind everything.

basically, hidden well behind the top part of the dash is a resistor pack. It even has 1 2 3 4 on it. This is what gradually dies and kills various settings. I replaced mine once I'd lost 1 & 2 as 3 was a little too powerful. :rofl:

Worth a PM to Lummox to check what I stated above is true and he should be able to guide you more into how to get at the resistor. From memory when I did it, I removed the glovebox and loosened the whole middle dash bit on the left side only, to make a little room. Was still a squeeze to get in and behind everything.

:iagree:

Hi.

I looked on Vagcom and nothing showed up.

I looked at this Tech Guide:-

http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/fabia-heater-air-con-control-panel-replacement-how-pics/125414/

Luke

Absolutely right - you don't need to go to those lengths! Although one of my other TGs that's linked in that thread will help you get the glovebox out so you can reach the resistor pack! :thumbup:

Clicky linky

Thanks National, great guide which allowed me to repair mine last weekend. I actually found the break in the resistor and performed a repair of sorts. Works a treat now.

Take your time and it is possible with just the glovebox out, you will have sore fingers after tho! :)

• 2 months later...

firstly i'd like to say thanks to all involved in this thread, without this id have looked in the wrong place :rofl:

i managed to do this in about 90 mins give or take but i will admit that it made me swear more than once:mad:

ive also got some nasty little cuts on my hands, im not sure if id recommend this to anyone as it was just soooooooooooooooooooooo bloody awkward to do

you need the hands of a 5 year old to get into those little gaps, even with the blower motor out and it doesnt help when its cold outside either :D

but its done now and hopefully it wont break again, not bad for a 4 and a half yerar old car, first thing ( touch's wood ) thats ever gone wrong with it

• 4 months later...