Damaged headlamp unit from factory

Just spent an hour this afternoon changing the front bulbs on my Octavia vRS MkII. Plan was to follow Stu's guide and drop the headlamp units out and replace the factory bulbs with Philips vision variants including side repeaters too.

On taking out passenger side unit - i found that the plastic back section that is clamped onto the rear of the Xenon section was cracked and damaged. It was also showing evidence of attempted glueing - which had failed as the pressure on this from the metal clamp is quite severe.

Very disappointed as the car is only 6 months old. Not looking forward to tackling the local dealer on this either. Very poor show by Skoda or possible damage at PDI time?!? not sure what to think?

Anyone else seen issues with this part or seen similar issues on a new car from the factory?

Thanks. :(

Unlikely to be the case - but anything is possible i suppose. The way the casing is cracked and with attempted glueing - this says to me it's been broken at source, repaired, then stressed when put in situ.

... but like i say - doubt the dealer with take that view. I'm hoping the part in question is available separately - else i'll be at the scrapyard looking for some spare Octavia Xenon units.

Hard to believe either the headlamp manfr or the Skoda factory would bother trying to glue-repair a part like that.

If its not available as a separate part then ask the dealer to try to retain a old smashed Xenon unit from a car that's come in for crash-repair. I imagine even if the headlamp front is smashed, that cover would survive intact.

Thanks - thats an option.

I agree - i wouldn't expect this sort of fault to be put into a new car - hence, why i put the question out there. Basically the car left the factory, arrived at the dealer and i collected.

Hasn't been in for any other work as yet as it's only on 6k miles. So - where did the damage occur?!?! Hmmmm.

So - dare i ask - anyone got a parts catalog for the Oct MkII that could assist with the exact part number for the L/H headlamp unit plastic cover for the rear of the Xenon/sidelight section which is clamped on with two metal retaining clips, plus two torx T20 screws used diagonally? I only ask as my Skoda dealer was pathetic last time i was in looking for a specific dash clip - it was like pulling teeth!

Thanks in advance.

Interesting one indeed. They don't really seem to add much once the clamps are in place - other than to stress the housing diagonally such that it might break or crack as i have witnessed! Thanks for the info. Just need to get a new one from somewhere...

Hi All - just to update you on this. Back from dealers this afternoon - new headlamp on order and to be fitted next week. Apparently - it's part of a recall related to this batch and only affects the N/S unit.

So - beware - if you see any condensation issues on N/S unit - worth checking.

Edited by samuir1974
Spelling