Dual Mass Fly Wheel

Mr DG

My 08 Octavia 1.9 diesel had serious clutch judder from day one which was eventually rectified under warranty at 3 months /3500 miles by having the dual mass flywheel replaced. I've heard that even Skoda Dealers are fitting traditional solid mass flywheels after cars have gone beyond warranty and if driven heavily (e.g. taxis) dual mass flywheels are failing after 6 months use.

This suggests a serious design /manufacturing problem which may lead to owners incurring costs both in and out of the warranty period. Has anybody else had this problem?

My car also exhibits a very noticeable vibration on depressing the clutch pedal (which can be annoyingly felt through the clutch pedal when changing gear) which is thought to be a by-product of the dual mass flywheel failing. I'm still waiting for Skoda to confirm this will be rectified under warranty. Has anybody else had this problem?:mad:

This is a well known fault, and it's really rubbish that such a basic design fault with a part is still causing people grief on cars made 4 years after a model is introduced onto the market.

Skoda run the risk of damaging their hard-fought reputation...

I am trying to get the dealer to replace mine out of warranty for free at 75K as it was already replaced at 44K I have asked for the solid flywheel and clutch kit to be fitted instead if they get the go ahead from Skoda

Regular complaint amongst the cabbies down here along with the DSG boxes failing around 60k miles.

Just for your interest the DMF failed on my Kia Carens at 30k so it's not just Skodas with the problem however Kia gave me £600 compensation for my downtime, something that Skoda never offered me during my ownership of 3 Octys!

Regular complaint amongst the cabbies down here along with the DSG boxes failing around 60k miles.

Just for your interest the DMF failed on my

Kia Carens
at 30k so it's not just Skodas with the problem however Kia gave me £600 compensation for my downtime, something that Skoda never offered me during my ownership of 3 Octys!

Wait untill your gearbox goes I had one it was a bloody nightmear 2 repairs and 2 new boxes in 3 years of ownership:eek::eek::eek:

The later models with 138bhp are a completely different kettle, I have 1 of each & even though I've remapped my Mk2 up to 140bhp it's still nowhere near as nice to drive as the Mk3. Thanks for the heads up though, think that's probably enough about Kias on here, we may get shot lol.