High fuel consumption on Fabia 1.9 TDI

I have done about 60,000 miles in my Fabia TDI, which has now covered 71,000. I used to get about 45mpg on driving school work and easily 65mpg on a run. Recently this has dropped to 39mpg on town work and I struggle to get 50 mpg on a run. Have changed air filter and tried a bottle of diesel magic injector cleaner. Timing belt was changed last June and am not sure if this was when the consumption dropped. Car still starts and runs like a watch. It sounds just as it always did and is certainly not down on power. Would it still run this well if the timing was one notch out? The car freewheels easily, so the brakes are not binding. Any theories gratefully accepted.

Well you have eliminate the more common things like brakes binding, so I would look at things like over fueling due to failing temperature sender. The MAF could probably do with a good clean, as well as the EGR valve. I would also look at all the vacuum hoses checking for tiny splits or cracks in the rubber. HTH