buying a vrs

Hi,

Im looking at buying a 54 plate, vrs, 59k miles, 1 owner plus demo car.

Looks in good condition, especially inside, engine feels very nice, sounds mechanically sound and pulls well.

price is up for £6300, gunna get the cambelt changed as part of the sale.

Good Value??

where can I get an aftermarket water pump with metal impellor? I will insist they fit this item as part of the cambelt replacement.

First time i have driven one of these today and was very impressed. Felt very solid and well put together.

Thanks

Chris

Signed me life away!

£6100 including cambelt + water pump, 60k service, 6 months tax, and sort out starter motor (sounds as if it isnt disengaging when the engine fires up for about half a second, not sure if this is a common fault).

Car also has heated seats and parking sensors.

Was really confident in the purchase this morning when I had another good look around it. Should pick it up next Sat.

Congratulations on your purchase.

I should be looking at buying a MK1 octy VRS in the spring so I thought I'd hijack this thread.

I've wanted one ever since I did some driver traiing in them a couple of years ago, fast, good looking with good Q car status and solidly put together.

But what are they like to live with on a day to day basis? More importantly how much does it cost to run.

1. How much is a cambelt kit (including water pump + tensioners?) - I can get labour for free so I don't need to factor this into consideration.

2. How often does the cambelt need to be changed? - I've come from a 306 GTi-6 which are known for snapping so I have a phobia of cambelts at the minute.

4. Whats the MPG like?

5. Is there a noticable difference in the way they drive if you use high octane fuel? Is it reccomened to runs smething like Vpower or BP ultimate or can i get away with the cheap stuff?

Anything else I should know about and is there a link to a buyers guide or similar?

Thanks.

Daz.

But what are they like to live with on a day to day basis? More importantly how much does it cost to run.

I can't comment on questions 1 & 2 as my car still has nearly four months of warranty to run and is nowhere near ready for a cambelt change. Use the search facility to find out what others have paid/been quoted to get a better idea.

Question number 3 seems to have gone AWAL, so I'll comment on the two I have a smattering of knowlege on....

4. Whats the MPG like?

I currently average 32mpg - that's taken over the last 15,000 miles of mixed driving, half urban, half long runs.

5. Is there a noticable difference in the way they drive if you use high octane fuel? Is it reccomened to runs smething like Vpower or BP ultimate or can i get away with the cheap stuff?

I believe there is a difference. I use V-Power and notice that the car is slightly less responsive on 95 ron stuff. I also think it is less happy on supermarket fuel of either ron (other than the two tanks of Tesco 99 ron I have used), but others use it and seem quite pleased with results.

No doubt for every ten people you ask, there will be quite a few responses.

I can't comment on questions 1 & 2 as my car still has nearly four months of warranty to run and is nowhere near ready for a cambelt change. Use the search facility to find out what others have paid/been quoted to get a better idea.

Question number 3 seems to have gone AWAL, so I'll comment on the two I have a smattering of knowlege on....

erm so it does, I can't count, its been a long weekend!!!

4. Whats the MPG like?

I currently average 32mpg - that's taken over the last 15,000 miles of mixed driving, half urban, half long runs.

I believe there is a difference. I use V-Power and notice that the car is slightly less responsive on 95 ron stuff. I also think it is less happy on supermarket fuel of either ron (other than the two tanks of Tesco 99 ron I have used), but others use it and seem quite pleased with results.

No doubt for every ten people you ask, there will be quite a few responses.

Thanks for the reply mate, it sounds like it's going to cost about as much to run as my old 306 GTi6 ... which I just got rid of that because it was expensive :thumbdwn: ... but I'm sure I can justify the octy ... after all its bigger, more sensible, its not french (therefore *shouldn't* fall apart) and it doesn't look like a chav mobile. :thumbup:

Depends what driving your doing to be honest, my 70 mile daily commute I average around 38/39 mpg if not more, depends on your driving style.

Round town is where it takes it toll... expect to see 30-32 mpg at best

most of my driving is to and from work which is stop/start traffic for 15 minutes and never above 40mph. I'll occasionally visit the 'rents which is just 'up the hill' but I do enjoy going for the occasional 'spirtied drive' hence the desire for something sporty.

they don't seem like bad figures. pretty much what I expected to be honest and they're probably *slightly* better than the GTi-6 I was running.

question 1,, the cambelt depends weather your going to do it your self or get a dealer to do it, i got dealer to do it to keep the service history up and it was between £500/£600 inclu the water pump and fluids and stuff.

question 2,, the octy mk1 cambelt is every 4 years hence mines an 04 and needed doing, or every 40,000 miles or 60,000 miles wich ever comes first!! plus when i had mine done at the dealer they told me water pump aswell i uuumed and arrrrred over it and they said cause they have had trouble with peoples engines that dont have it, so they said my engines now got warrenty for 2yrs if it goes bang before that they replace it free,

just thought i let you no

and i can also praise the shell v power as i run mine on it and it really does pick up, and im using all the time at the mo cause the price at the pump has dropped dramatically!! as the shell v power used to be 129.9 a litre its now 97.9 a litre wich is just the same if not better than tescos or sainsburys,and bp ultimate too is also good.

I do enjoy going for the occasional 'spirtied drive' hence the desire for something sporty.

I haven't been disappointed with mine in nearly three years of ownership. it is a good all rounder and is the best car out there for the money as far as I can see. Some are faster, some more spacious, some handle better, but overall has a good go at all of them.:D

question 1,, the cambelt depends weather your going to do it your self or get a dealer to do it, i got dealer to do it to keep the service history up and it was between £500/£600 inclu the water pump and fluids and stuff.

question 2,, the octy mk1 cambelt is every 4 years hence mines an 04 and needed doing, or every 40,000 miles or 60,000 miles wich ever comes first!! plus when i had mine done at the dealer they told me water pump aswell i uuumed and arrrrred over it and they said cause they have had trouble with peoples engines that dont have it, so they said my engines now got warrenty for 2yrs if it goes bang before that they replace it free,

just thought i let you no

I'll be doing the belt myself ... well my old man wiyll be doing it :thumbup: cheers for all the information ... its a case of waiting now until I'm in a situation where I can afford the car (looking at Spring time) and then buying a nice MK1

When I let my dad drive my car down to Austria, he described it in one sentence quite nicely.

"It's good at everything it does, but not excellent at anything!"

Which is a compliment coming from the old duffer!

Back on the point....

I see 35-36mpg while on a proper drive. Around town with a cold engine you can't really judge it. Servicing costs are cheap due to the fact the 1.8T is such a common engine, and the fact that it's a Skoda. Handling, brakes, power, comfort and build are all decent. The only thing that's rubbish is the stereo!

It's going to feel like a rolls royce compared to a french car anyway!!

As long as you don't drive around on boost all the time, don't sit in traffic constantly, and try and change up just past 2000 revs you should get mid 30's per gallon :thumbup:

You can put regular in rather than super but it performs best on super (especially if it's a mapped one). I can also get between 15 and 20 miles more out of a tank of super if I take it steady.

Like Bodge said, parts are cheap because the engine (or variations of it) was used in various Audis, VWs and Seats.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Sitting in traffic on a morning commute (and by sitting, I mean average 9mph over 8 miles) I'm lucky to see 24mpg out of mine. Distance I'm not sure sure but a relaxed run to Brum at the NSL recently seemed to return 34, which is nowhere near what I was expecting.

Doesn't matter though - what's a bit of petrol next to enjoying your car every day? :)

It's going to feel like a rolls royce compared to a french car anyway!!

LOL I'd argue but you're right. My 306 was a proper riot, had sharp, edgy steering turn in was fantastic and the rear end was nice and manouverable it also stopped well and had enough power. The downside was that EVERYTHING rattled. I'm hoping to keep some of the 'fun' factor but I also want something quiet, (my 6 had a loud exhaust) subtle, well specced and spacious ... which the octy seems to be.

I've just got to sort the funds and then find a good one.

Its going to be a long wait till the spring lol.

Thanks for all the replies too, I'm much more knowledgeable now ... its a bit of a leap of faith for me I've had peugeots for 7 years so I know nothing about VAG cars.