3rd party lead and vag com

Gunswick

Hi there,

I cant afford the £250 for the full vag com, so I would like to get a 3rd party lead from ebay and then get the vag com software to work with it.

Having searched, these leads look like they will work fine on a mk1 Octavia L&K TDi:

lonelec:

VAG-COM 409.1 USB LEAD FOR VOLKSWAGEN AUDI SEAT SKODA on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-Dec-08 22:15:29 GMT)

alpha-bid:

USB Vag-Com Cable/Interface/Scanner VW Audi VagCom^OBD2 on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 23-Nov-08 03:49:49 GMT)

the alpha-bid ones have been reported to work well, so I would go with one of those I think.

what software is it I need from the Ross-tech site? There are so many options its pretty confusing!

I primarily want to check and clear error codes, but am doing my timing belt next week so checking the TDi pump timing would be awesome.

any help much appreciated! :)

To be honest, I would never recommend using anything other than the official ross-tech cables.

The software you're after is here;

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Download old versions for obsolete interfaces

But don't count on it working properly, you'll also find it's unsupported on anything other than the original ross-tech cables.

i think really a sticky should be placed at the top to deter people buying the cheap and useless leads and point them towards the real things. Also to point out that without a genuine ross tech lead they will get no support either on here or from ross tech.

IMO if you can't afford the genuine cable and will only use it a few times anyway then you are better off PMing someone close to you in the VAG-COM Owners Map who will do the things you require for a few beer tokens.

VAG-COM is wonderful, but you do need to use it a fair bit to understand what it can do and more importantly how to do it.

i think really a sticky should be placed at the top to deter people buying the cheap and useless leads and point them towards the real things. Also to point out that without a genuine ross tech lead they will get no support either on here or from ross tech.

I disagree with what your saying about ebay cables.

I for one love the vag-com software and the tricks it can do but if ross-tech let you have a shareware version for free its up to them. You can always upgrade to the full version for $99, this will work with the ebay cable.

I have had an ebay cable and have used it a lot over the past two years with no problems at all. Yes the cables take setting up but they are not all bad cables as my two year use points out. A lot of the bad press associated with ebay cables is quite often because they just weren't setup properly in the first place.

Oh yes the peeps on here will usually help in anyway they can.

Edited by martziniuk

Hey, Ross Tech decided to release a free version of the software, which although limited is very useful, so fair play to them. I got a cheap ebay cable and after some faffing about got it to work and when I can afford it (when swmbo isn't looking) I am definately going to get a proper cable. If you're willing to take a chance, aren't afraid of messing with computers and know you won't get help from Ross Tech it's worth trying if you can't afford the full version.

If the free version wasn't available then it would all be academic, people would just be selling dodgy versions on ebay which would probably stand less chance of working properly.

I would like to say a big thanks to Ross Tech for what they have done. It has helped me quite a lot.

I diagree with a few of the chaps comments about the 3rd party Vag-Com cables. Like evrything in this world you get what you pay for and its no different when your looking at purchasing Vag-Com.

If your only going to use it a handful of times then why shell out for the genuine Ross-Tech package?

I myself have the 3rd party cable from Alpha Bid and after testing Vag-Com to make sure it worked i upgraded the shareware version 409.1 to the full version of the same software at the cost of $99. The good thing about buying a license from Ross - Tech is that if you ever decide you want the full package they will deduct the original $99 from the new bill of sale.

So the way i see it is get a cheap cable, there only a tenner, and if it works and you need more function pay $99 and get it unlocked. If you then decide you want a genuine Ross-Tech one then go but it.

And BTW my cable might not be supported by Ross-Tech but my software is and the cable isnt that hard to set up.

Just remember that Ross-Tech say shareware version 409.1 is not compatible with Vista.

Good luck whatever you do.

EDIT: Forgot to say, My CHEAP cable has been put to use on a VW Polo, Golf and my Fabia vRS.

well the 3rd party alpha-bid lead is £10 and the shareware software to test if its works is free, so worst comes to the worst, i lose £10.

if it works then i can get the full software for $99, which is what like £65 at the mo (crappy pound lol)

so its £75 vs £250...

I dont know where you get the £250 from, there are a few group buys going on, on other forums, think ive seen a link on here somewhere!

When we got ours, it was £125 ish delivered to us!

So when you look at it like that, what would you prefer to do, spend £75 and it might not work properly, or £125 and have a supported lead and software and ross tech backing if you have any problems.

I know my answer!

I dont know where you get the £250 from, there are a few group buys going on, on other forums, think ive seen a link on here somewhere!

When we got ours, it was £125 ish delivered to us!

So when you look at it like that, what would you prefer to do, spend £75 and it might not work properly, or £125 and have a supported lead and software and ross tech backing if you have any problems.

I know my answer!

Look at the Ross-Tech site and it will give the price and its not £125!!!! Nor is it that in the UK. There is a group buy happening at the moment! Oh and the 3rd party lead is supported by the makers and should you register the software it is supported by Ross Tech.

Its all down to the buyer. Some people buy porducts that contain functions they will never use and some buy what they need!

isnt the current group buy ~£221 ? hardly "a steal" :lol:

i would only buy the software, if the shareware version works. if one does, then the other will / should.

i cannot see any reason why the shareware version would work fine, and the paid for version woudl not. can you?

oh and the Gendan one looks decent, double the ebay price though :(

VW Audi Seat Skoda USB Diagnostic Cable for VAG-COM 409.1 - Dual K-line - most VAG 1996-2003 :: Gendan Automotive Products

isnt the current group buy ~£221 ? hardly "a steal" :lol:

i would only buy the software, if the shareware version works. if one does, then the other will / should.

i cannot see any reason why the shareware version would work fine, and the paid for version woudl not. can you?

I see no reason why shareware version 409.1 would not work with an XP compatible computer and the Alpha bid cable. I use that setup and have had no problems. Sure there will be limitations to the 409.1 version as opposed to Ross-Tech latest software version but all in all it really depends what you want to use it for. And your right £221 is hardly a steal.

I have posted a few topics about Vag-Com and what it can/cant do in version 409.1

This is the lead I bought USB VAG-COM 409.1 OBD 2 II CABLE LEAD AUDI VW VAG COM on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 13-Dec-08 12:48:07 GMT)

And it worked first time, no messing about. :thumbup:

Sad to hear comments like "no support on here or Ross-Tech". A lot of people can't just go and chuck a couple of hundred at a lead just to find out what the fault is.

VAG-COM is a good piece of software that I will be getting the full version of as soon as funds allow, but, all I wanted to do initially was see what the fault was and reset the light... Which I did for £13.99 :thumbup:

This is the lead I bought USB VAG-COM 409.1 OBD 2 II CABLE LEAD AUDI VW VAG COM on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 13-Dec-08 12:48:07 GMT)

And it worked first time, no messing about. :thumbup:

Sad to hear comments like "no support on here or Ross-Tech". A lot of people can't just go and chuck a couple of hundred at a lead just to find out what the fault is.

VAG-COM is a good piece of software that I will be getting the full version of as soon as funds allow, but, all I wanted to do initially was see what the fault was and reset the light... Which I did for £13.99 :thumbup:

:handshke:

Well Said!

You dont need CAN on a Mk1 Octavia!

Yes it is, but they are useless for newer cars like my A4. Plus the 409 version can't do a lot of things the regular version can. Like code my new mfsw to my car ......

VCDS isn't just for reading and resetting error codes. That is only touching the surface of what you can do and what information you can get.

Yes it is, but they are useless for newer cars like my A4. Plus the 409 version can't do a lot of things the regular version can. Like code my new mfsw to my car ......

VCDS isn't just for reading and resetting error codes. That is only touching the surface of what you can do and what information you can get.

I understand what you are sayingv auroran but if you need a car to puttle down to the shops you dont buy a Ferrari do you. Thats the point i am trying to make. If all the op wants to do is read and reset and do some adaption then the registered shareware version will do. If he wants to do a lot more, especially on newer cars then naturally the root to take will be the genuine Ross-Tech.

Looks like we not going to agree. At least the thread starter has valuable opinions.

IMO the price of the cable is proportional to the cost of the car.

im not paying some ~£250 which is 10% of the value of my mk1 octavia just to read codes.

if i had a mk2 octy, or an A4 etc with a CAN interface, then ~£250 is more worth it because the car is worth more etc

if for £14 I can get a lead, which others have tested and works fine, then I can get the registered program for $99 (~£65) and have full use of vag com for a fraction of the price of the "official" program.

I dont see the problem, ross-tech still make money, i get a code reader / editor, ebay guy makes money, and i save money. everybody wins :lol:

if for £14 I can get a lead, which others have tested and works fine, then I can get the registered program for $99 (~£65) and have full use of vag com for a fraction of the price of the "official" program.

Except that you won't.... 409 and earlier versions don't have some stuff compared to later versions of VCDS. But if your only using it as a glorified fault code reader, then fair enough.

Except that you won't.... 409 and earlier versions don't have some stuff compared to later versions of VCDS. But if your only using it as a glorified fault code reader, then fair enough.

As a matter of interest auroan, what STUFF can it not do compared to the later version of VCDS that a basic user would use?