Columbus MFD3 Questions

Having recently picked up my second vRS TFSi i'm seriously considering purchasing a MFD3, given that I can only afford an eBay sourced 2nd hand unit i have a few questions:

1. Are all Columbus units compatible with the Octy2, regardless of their donor vehicle?

2. What is their reliability like and given that they cost £800 upwards second hand, where would you be to it fixed should a fault develop?

3. Whilst they are supposed to be just a straight swap, some sellers state they may need vag-com to tidy up any issues caused by the installation, any idea what these issues may be?

Regards

Stokey,

It was originally said that the 3T units (Supurb II) weren't compatible with the Octy II, I can't really comment as I've not tried one myself although I did fit one for Lee (FocusZetec) which IIRC was a 3T.

1Z is the Octavia type. I will need some VCDS tweakery to align everything properly with the car.

No big pitfalls and much the same as the MFD2 guide on my website.

Getting one fixed is a bit of an issue as parts are generally quite scarce.

I can't help feeling that unfortunately your "on your own" if it comes to them failing.

I bought mine a little while ago via EBay for £700 - not fitted yet, that should be happening a week on Sunday for me with some more professional help (personally scared to start removing dash parts).

I guess if it does go wrong you could try Skoda, but they will know it wasn't factory installed and will charge you accordingly.

If I had the courage I'd take mine apart, remove the 20GB Hard Drive, use some disk image software to totally replicate what was on the HD to say a 320GB unit and see if it was possible to have a lot more HD storage space.

Alas at £700 and no "main stream" way of getting it repaired should everything go wrong I just cannot risk it.

I had two replacement units . First one was faulty almost from new. Took 3 months for replacement from SUK. This one didn't work at all. Third unit is excellent, cannot fault it. I guess I have been unlucky but still glad I specced it into new car. Shudder to think what will happen when it may possibly go wrong in future years but hopefully I will have sold car on before that!!

As for the fitting etc I see that there is a wealth of good info on this forum.Good luck.

If I had the courage I'd take mine apart, remove the 20GB Hard Drive, use some disk image software to totally replicate what was on the HD to say a 320GB unit and see if it was possible to have a lot more HD storage space.

I think Bagpuss has some ideas on a HD upgrade.

It's not 100% certain yet but I think there may be one up for sale soon on here. Keep your eyes peeled.

I'm looking at other alternatives but since I know next to nothing about car stereos (not really bothered by SAT NAV) I'm a bit in the dark.

Anybody got an aftermarket stereo in their Octy?

In Germany, there was also an issue with faulty replacement Columbus units.

At first they thought they were faulty, happened to be a fault in the coding of the unit.

If the coding is wrong, the unit wont give a tone.

I purchased my MFD3 off eBay and I have had it installed for 3 months or so. It is certainly a gamble in so much as you are not going to have the normal warranty safeguards of spending that much money on an electrical item but given that it was £900 less than what Skoda UK wanted - I decided it was worth the risk! Suffice it to say, I purchased it on a credit card using paypal - just in case the thing didn't work when it arrived!

But, it did and I am delighted with it. The 20GB hard drive is enough for my music collection - although it is frustrating that when you store an album in a folder, it stores the tracks alphabetically rather than in track order - but, it is a small price to pay....

It is interesting that "magic62" comments about the faulty coding on some German units. My particular MFD3 had certainly been to Germany when I took delivery of it as this was the location of the home address and some favourite places!!! But, it has always worked perfectly for me. As for the coding, yes, VRStu did code mine for me but it did work before he coded it!

The installation is a bit nerve wracking for those of us who aren't mechanics but it went smoothly and only took a few minutes...

The only thing you need to consider is whether you will miss Radio 5 live or other MW stations. The MFD3 has two antenna inputs and if you want the best FM signal and TMC information, then you won't get MW as well. I think somebody is working on a fix for that but it didn't take long for me to get over it and installing a second aerial is going to be way over my skill level!

Go on, spend the money - it will soon be Christmas!

it is frustrating that when you store an album in a folder, it stores the tracks alphabetically rather than in track order - but, it is a small price to pay....

Just rename the tracks with the track number first eg. 01 - track name.mp3 , and then the album will play in the correct order. This is the same behaviour as all MP3 headunits, aftermarket and oem.