RNS 510 and RDS functionality

This weekend I installed an MF Steering and RNS 510 in my car. Yippeeee!!! Also exhanged the bluetooth-box with the new one, so I got full functionality for my phone too :)

BUT. There are to antenna-inputs (in addition to GPS-antenna) on this unit. One is for AM/FM and the other for FM/TMC. I have only one antenna, and I chose one input at random. Radio works (I have only tried FM as thats all I use), but it seems like the RDS-function is not optimal. Does it need both antennas to search for stronger signals in the "background"?

Next project is to connect a reverse camera and maybe an external backseet monitor. Would need a gadget to make it show video while driving, too. Does not yet now what I need to do all this, though...

The columbus is designed to use two antenna for Diversity. One has FM and one has AM/FM IIRC. If you want you can fit a secondary antenna such as the one marketed by blaupunkt or if you don't want to do that you can swap the connectors over in the plug that you have already.

The columbus is designed to use two antenna for Diversity. One has FM and one has AM/FM IIRC. If you want you can fit a secondary antenna such as the one marketed by blaupunkt or if you don't want to do that you can swap the connectors over in the plug that you have already.

Humm. Yes, but I guess FM works on both inputs, but does the RDS work fully with only one antenna? Well, I guess I'll have to test it to be sure :P

There is no reason for RDS to need second antenna.

The RDS information is carried by same channel you are listening.

And this channel is received by one tuner, which needs one antenna :P.

The second antenna is only for Traffic Receiver Tuner.

There is nothing in common between them.

To work properly you need 2 antenna. If you only use a single one then you get FM and AM with no auto frequency switching on the FM or the other input will give you full FM functionality, including the auto frequency switching an the station list also works.

Station naming works on either input.

TMC works irrespective of whichever input you select.

According to the specs I got at the dealer, one input is for AM/FM and the other for FM/TMC. As the FM tuners are split like that, I assumed that auto frequency shifting needed both inputs connected. I think mine now finds a new fequency after a while with only one antenna, but only after a period of static...

Although Hegde says that I would get full functionality on one of them. 50% chance I got the right one, then, but so far I think I picked the wrong one :o

Is it possible to split the one antenna into two connectors? It is an active antenna, I think, but it should still be possible?

Ok. I don't need the TMC part, though. Full FM function is more important. I drive through a long tunnel every day to/from work. I don't even know if we have TMC service around here...

Edit: Just found a picture from a similar unit, and it shows me that I have connected my aerial in to the diversity input. Gotta find my tools, I guess :)

Edited by ronaldb

With the connector on the inner most one I get everything except AM. RDS AF works fine on this connection, but when I drive through a tunnel and the main antenna loses its signal then the HU switches to the diversity antenna whilst in the tunnel to try and compensate for the tunnel. When I come out the other end all I get is static, to get the radio back I just change between presets.

With the connector on the inner most one I get everything except AM. RDS AF works fine on this connection, but when I drive through a tunnel and the main antenna loses its signal then the HU switches to the diversity antenna whilst in the tunnel to try and compensate for the tunnel. When I come out the other end all I get is static, to get the radio back I just change between presets.

Thats exactly my experience, too.

So the outermost connector is FM/AM and the innermost is FM/TMC. But which of them is the "extra" antenna? I mean, on cars with two antennas (the on on the roof and the one in the rear window), which is connected where?

If found an illustration saying outermost: antenna, and innermost: diversity. Is this correct?

Yeah, I thought about that, but I then wondered if I could just split the signal and use the one antenna on both connectors.

I can not find antenna with the correct connectors in the local shops. I might have to check the dealers price for an original one.