Heater not working plus car over heating!

Hi I have a skoda Octavia 1.6lx T reg which has been amazing till yesterday... While I was driving the heater stopped working and was blowing cold instead of hot a few moments later the Coolant warning light came on. Followed by the needle moving into the red.

It went back down and stopped flashing once I got moving but I still have no heating.

The fan works on all speeds and all vents work. Coolant level is just below the max any ideas?:confused:

Edited by pksaunders
date

Not so sure. If it went down again after he moved off, I'd say thermostat failure. Might well have snapped shut causing the overheat, before failing completely and causing the lack of heating.

So, @pksaunders: what does the temperature needle do now? Does it go up to the red quickly, or does it wobble about on the left-hand side of the 'normal' mark? First is pump, second is 'stat...

Thanks.... ok car starts and runs normal now, heater still not working and car overheats into the red after about 10mins, coolant light flashes and it stays on until i move off i.e cold air getting over the engine i guess

well there lies another slight problem... I had my car serviced 2 months ago and they told me that the parts i.e spark plugs, air filter etc don't fit and that they had t?o get a felicia service kit. which worked. Thanks for your help so far. people

Do you know where I can get a manual or anything to check the thermostat and possible pump?

Sounds like you have the 1.6 Felicia engine in there. Keep an eye on coolant - could be iffy thermostat by the sounds of it. You should be able to check the water pump by watching the overflow pipe into the expansion tank when revving the engine. This is how I checked mine.

To check if the water pump is working, disconnect the heater matrix hoses and empty them one at a time then reconnect.

Top the water up as required and fire the engine.

Feel the pipes to make sure they get warm or not. or disconnect one of the pipes after a whilst (prob when engine is off) and if the waters been pumped round then obv water will dip when you pull the pipe out.

Mine didn't and result was the cars head gasket popped.

If you need a water pump then get the cambelt changed too.