Is this the bargain of the year

Simon R

I'v just had the cambelt and waterpump changed on my 52 plate 1.9TDI superb.

I bought the parts myself, full cambelt kit,waterpump,temp sender switch and antifreeze,£120 inc vat

Had it all done at a friends garage, he also re set service light and switched of the air bag light because i had the seats out.

Total £115

Well chuffed £235 in total:thumbup::cool:

I can beat that I'm afraid. Cam-belt & water pump and fitting for £146!!! (£96 for the parts and £50 for my brother to fit)

That's more or less the same for me. :) Roughly £90 to get the belt, tensioners and pump, then mates rates for fitting - might cost me a couple of crates of beers + grub. :D

So i paid £235.

I get a VW stamp of Ebay for a tenner, by my calculation thats £245 for the whole job done with my book stamped.

How much did you pay again?????:D

Oh yes £422.

Looks like i've saved £113.

NaNaNaNa.:D:thumbup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

So i paid £235.

I get a VW stamp of Ebay for a tenner, by my calculation thats £245 for the whole job done with my book stamped.

How much did you pay again?????:D

Oh yes £422.

Looks like i've saved £113.

NaNaNaNa.:D:thumbup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

Ahh, but what warranty do you have with it if the belt fails early?

Gets out the smug jacket :rofl::D

:rolleyes:

When I last had mine done I paid £96 ish for parts and around £100 for lab. I was happy enough with that.

Still, perhaps I'll be looking for someone to fit my next one for £50, who's open to bribery/cakes/chocolate/beers? ;)

tbh I couldn't find anyone who would touch it for less than £320, and there would be no back up if it went wrong, I chose the VW dealer because they work on Passat's where a Skoda dealer doesn't see a Superb that often, but I have the pom that should it break within 20k then they owe me a new engine or a re-build at least, where a back street guy wouldn't be able to do this and would end up sending me to the belt supplier for 3 mths of wriggling, so all in all I know it came to more, but I do have a comeback on it in a disaster.

I've charged people £50 to do the cambelt/waterpump change on the Superbs/Passats. More than happy with £10/hr. :)

Sweet, I'll save the cakes then ;)

Superbia - I agree but the chap I used was a trade customer from work who I trusted. Still, if I didn't have a trusted mechanic (like the situation I'm in now, sadly) I'd have gone to the dealer.

Edited by Bluefox
Same as ever, poor Enlish. w00t.

I like it because I can get my own hands dirty trying to help out. :cool: I don't think SMC Skoda would appreciate me donning rubber gloves and trying to help out in the workshop. :rofl:

Pedantry alert .....

Surely Jason, if you put rubber gloves on, you don't get your hands dirty!

I'll get me coat... Darren

I think that you will find that if any parts fail early due to any defects then the manufacturer is liable to pay for any damage caused by the faulty part.(while under the standard 1 year warranty,same as dealer)

In my case thats SKF and FEBI.

I think that you will find they make many OE spec parts for a multitude of different manufacturers.

I think that you will find that if any parts fail early due to any defects then the manufacturer is liable to pay for any damage caused by the faulty part.(while under the standard 1 year warranty,same as dealer)

In my case thats SKF and FEBI.

I think that you will find they make many OE spec parts for a multitude of different manufacturers.

I think you are right, but it will be months before they will payout, the dealer however should in a disaster have the car back working within 3 weeks. i'd hope anyway.

You may or may not be right.

I am more than happy with the price that i paid, and guess that you are pretty happy as well.

Unless a part fails then we will never know the answer.

I have to say that as long as quality parts are used,be that from the dealer or aftermarket and stated change intervals are adheared to then the likelyhood of failure is very slim.

You may or may not be right.

I am more than happy with the price that i paid, and guess that you are pretty happy as well.

Unless a part fails then we will never know the answer.

I have to say that as long as quality parts are used,be that from the dealer or aftermarket and stated change intervals are adheared to then the likelyhood of failure is very slim.

I think you did well myself, but mines a working car so I can't afford to mess about waiting for ppl to decide what failed, and the fact that it was £100 more at a muti garage main agent firm is worth it for the pom.