Felicia Owner wannabe - advice please?

If you are looking for a car to drive fast the felicia is the wrong choice. .

Actually I find the felicia is quite stable and responsive for 'spirited' driving, of course my total driving experience is between a 1.3 Felicia and my instructors fiesta derv but still...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I find the felicia is quite stable and responsive for 'spirited' driving, of course my total driving experience is between a 1.3 Felicia and my instructors fiesta derv but still...

I know what you mean. My little Felly has already run 120 mph... But the comfort with this speed is not good and the most important fact is, that the brake system and the axles are insufficient for a speed >100 mph .... The Felicia is a car bulit for town cruising. (In fact last year I did a trip of 750 miles within one day without any problems

I know what you mean. My little Felly has already run 120 mph...

We need autobahns in the UK :D

Although to be honest hen I stayed near Erlangen and walked over a motorway bridge they didn't seem to be going all that fast

One advantage of Germany :D

But nowadays we don't have so much sections which are free... Safety first :rolleyes:

And in fact ... due to the high petrol prices many people drive slower... I prefer 120 to 130 km/h .. it's enough... Two weeks ago I went from Hannover back to Dresden (about 400 km) in 3 and a half hour by driving about 140 km/h... THe prices are less expensive at the moment ...

Back to the car it does look good, I bought my Felicia without examining it first.

The Favorit I bought after a quick look over and fitting of my clutch cable.

Theres a W Reg 1.6 GLXI which I think might be the better buy,

Have just seen that one - a bit beyond my means :o

However, I have found a 1.3 Felicia Classic in red. Having a test drive on Friday evening, and if all goes well will be getting it on 23rd :thumbup: Am seriously excited - it looks like the 1.6 may be going higher than I'm prepared to pay, and there is the advantage of being able to take this one for a test drive and everything. :goodvibe:

Promise to let you know how it goes :D

Cause they weren't designed for perfomance in mind.

My Felly brakes were good although my Dad thought they were "spongey and unconfident"

But keeping a good distance, knowing your cars ability and driving well means you rarely have to brake :D

you wanna hear a funny story, my break's pump is damaged, and leaking break fluid to the servo, so i said, agghh forget it (bugs bunny style) been driving for 2 weeks without brake fluid.... i don't even use the brakes all that much, clutching, shifting, hand brake, and good cornering, thats about fits me, jeejejejeje (somebody is reading this and saying "this guy's nuts/stupid)

but i swear, i will fix the brakes comes next pay day and i have a clever way of flushing the system with a bong looking apparatus and a vacuum cleaner that i'm dying to try

This is my first Skoda and I am very impressed with what I got.

A Felly with a 1.3 mpi engine that when required, will lift her skirt up and goes for it!

It reminds me of a cross match between a mini and a Vauxhall Nova.

She is mainly used for town runs at unsocial hours but already have used her on a couple of long runs and no problems at all. Quite nice to stick just under the speed limit for once:D

This is my first Skoda and I am very impressed with what I got.

A Felly with a 1.3 mpi engine that when required, will lift her skirt up and goes for it!

It reminds me of a cross match between a mini and a Vauxhall Nova.

She is mainly used for town runs at unsocial hours but already have used her on a couple of long runs and no problems at all. Quite nice to stick just under the speed limit for once:D

Sounds like exactly what I need :thumbup:

you wanna hear a funny story, my break's pump is damaged, and leaking break fluid to the servo, so i said, agghh forget it (bugs bunny style) been driving for 2 weeks without brake fluid.... i don't even use the brakes all that much, clutching, shifting, hand brake, and good cornering, thats about fits me, jeejejejeje (somebody is reading this and saying "this guy's nuts/stupid)

but i swear, i will fix the brakes comes next pay day and i have a clever way of flushing the system with a bong looking apparatus and a vacuum cleaner that i'm dying to try

Are you seriously saying you are driving with no brakes?!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

i have a 1.3mpi and its quite nippy, my friend has a rover 25 thats "ment" to have 100bhp and he cant get past me :) howd you know the felly axle, breaks arnt ment for more than 100mph?

I did consider a Rover 25, but haven't had much luck with Rovers in the past, so think it's time to say bye bye!

i have a 1.3mpi and its quite nippy, my friend has a rover 25 thats "ment" to have 100bhp and he cant get past me :) howd you know the felly axle, breaks arnt ment for more than 100mph?

I have the 1.9D and while I can't speak for the axels, I can say that the breaks (at least on mine) aren't the best for, erm, "spirited" driving, but are plenty fine for normal work. :thumbup:

stay away from rovers they have sandwhich engines, the head bolts hold the cam bearings in place.... + my breaks dont seem to bad once they have got some heat into them i was maybe thinking of getting some ebc pads that people rate, any one tried them?

I'm just in the process of putting on some EBC discs but using OE ferrodo pads as already bought them.

Edited by anewman

You'd be surprised. The Felly can hold its' own on spritied drives all these boy racers and BMW esque people see Skoda badge round bends as they only care about straight line speed and dont know corners that well.

Round bends!? My Felicia handles like a boat lol. Can't go round a roundabout at more than 30mph without ending up lying down on the passenger seat :rofl:

I went for a 1600 SLXi because it had a Volkswagen engine and a very high spec for the price. About all it lacks is remote central locking. It's a comfortable and reliable motor. Fifth gear is readily usable on good roads. It's reasonably economical and feels to have plenty of poke. Mind you, my other car is a diesel. As a hatchback it's handy for carrying extra loads with the seats flat.

On the downside I've found maintenance quite dear. This may not be a problem if you do it yourself but spares aren't cheap in the UK. There have been plenty of posts about the exhaust knocking badly when passengers are carried in the rear. Very annoying if you use the rear seats. The rear tailgate is said to be prone to rust. On the motorway I'd like a sixth gear but then I don't drive much on motorways.

I had some serious problems with the cooling system so I'd check that water pump, thermostat and cambelt have been changed.

I am pleased with the Felicia but you certainly need to see and drive before you buy.

Round bends!? My Felicia handles like a boat lol. Can't go round a roundabout at more than 30mph without ending up lying down on the passenger seat :rofl:
try lowering it i have lowered mine 40mm on fk automotive springs and got 17" alloys on and she sticks like s*** to a blanket :cool:

It depends on your driving on needs really.

The 1.6 Felly 75BHP feels slightly lethargic accelerating but I didnt mind that.

I got about 42mpg (nr 40 in town driving) but £185 for 12 months tax.

The car never struggled up hills. On a Motorway incline the car would hold 60-65mph (my preferred cruising speed).

Tyres are fairly cheap my local fitter £25 for budget ones although I got some mid range for £40 per tyre.

The 1.3 unit in the Favorit (similar to the Felly as you had CPI and MPI versions)

Brisk acceleration, and cruises nicely although it doesn't hold its speed as well as the 1.6 on a motorway incline.

[snip]

Otherwise than that any Felicia is cheap to buy and maintain.

I largely agree. I had a 1.3 Favorit estate which would not hold cruising speed on inclines.

1.6 Felicia Fun has more grunt.

38 MPG and tyres last 40,000 miles.

Probably not representative of all Felicias, but a 1999 80k mile Fun, Item number: 110324127140 just sold on eBay, after 20 bids, for £1,220, and another, Item number: 190270553574, is offered for .£1,695.

Are you seriously saying you are driving with no brakes?!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Driving with anticipation of events should make brakes almost redundant, except for stopping on inclines and emergencies.

Every time you brake to slow a car, it just throws gas-money out the window, never mind wear and tear on "disposables"/"service items".

once they are up and running unless they are now? have to say what they are like as i am tempted by some green stuff pads...

First thing I noticed was min thickness was quoted as 10.5mm (OE discs are 11.4mm). Apparently this could be because they use a different grade of metal, they are 12.8mm new and I believe OE are meant to be 12.6mm. As I am also lubing the guide pins, and polishing the sliding bits of the bracket and this is the first time I have done work on front brakes I won't know for certain if improvements are from the discs or not but will report back on how happy I am with the setup after they've had time to bed in. I think it's probably pads that would make the most difference though.

Apologies to OP for taking thread quite a bit off topic :o:)

Probably not representative of all Felicias, but a 1999 80k mile Fun, Item number: 110324127140 just sold on eBay, after 20 bids, for £1,220, and another, Item number: 190270553574, is offered for .£1,695.

Notice both of those are yellow pickups, so not he bog standard felicias. The one I am seeing tomorrow he initially said he wanted £750 for it. I said I wasn't prepared to go anywhere near that high - 1999 T reg, 70 odd on the clock, 1.3 engine. So he said he would take the stereo out and we could negotiate. We shall see :)

I went for a 1600 SLXi because it had a Volkswagen engine and a very high spec for the price. About all it lacks is remote central locking. It's a comfortable and reliable motor. Fifth gear is readily usable on good roads. It's reasonably economical and feels to have plenty of poke. Mind you, my other car is a diesel. As a hatchback it's handy for carrying extra loads with the seats flat.

The first one I considered was a 1.6 - just sold for £410 on ebay - but I was put off by not being able to get up there to test drive beforehand.

On the downside I've found maintenance quite dear. This may not be a problem if you do it yourself but spares aren't cheap in the UK. There have been plenty of posts about the exhaust knocking badly when passengers are carried in the rear. Very annoying if you use the rear seats. The rear tailgate is said to be prone to rust. On the motorway I'd like a sixth gear but then I don't drive much on motorways.

Won't be using it on the Motorway much, but will be toting the girls around in the rear, so will make sure I have rear passengers when I test drive so I can hear this.

I had some serious problems with the cooling system so I'd check that water pump, thermostat and cambelt have been changed.

I am pleased with the Felicia but you certainly need to see and drive before you buy.

Been told this one hasn't got a cambelt, it has the chain?? :confused:

Thanks for your input Bazz :thumbup: