To VRS or not to VRS?

Having previously owned a Pug 205 GTI, a Mk1 Golf GTI and then after having a BIG :eek: smash in my Corrado VR6 I went out and bought a 56 plate 1.4l 16v Roomster :)

Now, as a car it's been very good over the last year but other than looking different it doesn't really light my fire so I am considering a px with a 54 plate 42K VRS in silver.

Enough waffle.....can anyone fill me in on the common faults servicing/ running costs etc?

Being a skinflint I have a loathing of depreciation :D and I'm a great believer in the old banger [retro ;)] thing, in fact, I have recently gone out and bought a 1980s Passat estate 5 cylinder [Audi Quattro engine] and have lowered the bugger and put it on lpg BUT I am bitten by the new car feel....What to do What to do??? Opinions welcome!

Sorry for the waffle, slow day at work :)

Hi there,

You can find loads of info if you do a search as this has been asked many time sin the past :thumbup:

I have a 54 plate vRS and from what I can remember, there are issues with the suspension bushes wearing out.

The old person has had a turbo go pop, (me included).

DMF's can cause you problems if you drive it like a co*k in lower gears.

As it's 4 years old, make sure that they have done the cam belt before you get it as it's 4 years or 60k :)

£125 for a years tax

My insurance is £350 Comp Protected

50mpg average, so quite good on the fuel

HTH

Ben

Hi there. I've owned my "55" plate vrs for six months now and i love it. I've had a couple of 205 gti's and

still have a tuned track ready xs and i was worred it was going to be boring and wooly to drive. I think its a very good compromise you can drive it quick but its not full on all the time.

As far as costs go its not needed anything, ive changed the oil more often than the service book says and will continue to do so. I always warm it up and cool it down so that should make sure the turbo is ok.

Tyres are going to be common due to the torque and are between £65-£110 fitted

If you keep it nice it should hold its money due to skoda not doing another vrs in the immediate future.

I think yo should buy one.

sorry to waffle regards Chris

my turbo went pop on mine but only because i had a harsh map on the standard KKK and i blatted about everywhere! now has a garret with a pulled back map and i treat it better than the fiancee and everything is goood :D

i say you should definatly have! one!! especially in silver as they really look good and there is quite a lot of room to make power gains with not to much work!

And on depreciation- All the VAG cars are better than yer Fords Vauxhall Peugeots. Unfortunately depreciation has been accelerated recently for all marques due to the credit crunch which has consequentley led to lower new car purchase prices and then on to used car values. Good for you and me looking for a used Fabia, the prices are tumbling week by week. I have even found dealers to be in a good negotiating mood, somewhat more flexible than private sellers. Happy hunting. Bernie