Considering an Octavia vRS TDi

Nearly a year on from selling my beloved Audi A4, im considering a return to VAG owndership in 2009 given the need for a larger family car than the Astra currently in use by the missus & the fun & madness that is the Smart Roadster i currently drive! The Octavia attracts me particularly because of it being a hatchback so it avoids the need for an estate. I've been doing a little nosing about on the vRS TDi & it looks like a good option from the reviews, but wondered what the Octavia was like to live with in the real word for more than a few hours! Having had a very high spec A4 for 2yrs I got to love to strong build quality etc offered, which the Octavia is reputed to offer too. Questions:

How do they really stack up compared to their VAG brothers?

Is there anything in particular to be aware of with these cars other than the usual VAG stuff?

Is the OEM satnav retro-fitable like the RNS-e units used in Audi's?

Do they come with cruise control, if not is it retro-fitable?

Is the dual zone climate control worth looking out for?

I've got a tool kit, some common sense & a full vagcom licence, are there many settings people like to change on the car, or recommended retrofits?

Any recommended performance or handling mods?

Im sure more questions will present themselves, but im sure there's no better place to ask them!!

The Octavia attracts me particularly because of it being a hatchback so it avoids the need for an estate.

That's one reason I went for it too

Answers

Same if not better in some respects

Only downside is some peoples badge snobbery

Is there anything in particular to be aware of with these cars other than the usual VAG stuff?

Not really

Is the OEM satnav retro-fitable like the RNS-e units used in Audi's?

Yes

Do they come with cruise control, if not is it retro-fitable?

Std on some and an option and retro fit is no probem

Is the dual zone climate control worth looking out for?

I've got a tool kit, some common sense & a full vagcom licence, are there many settings people like to change on the car, or recommended retrofits?

Oh yes do some digging in the VAGCOM / VCDS section

Any recommended performance or handling mods?

Many again (ARB's & Eibach's ETC) still waiting on a good remap for the new CR engine, use the search tools

Good luck and good choice

:thumbup:

Thanks for that! Another one came to mind, is it worthwhile going for the CR engine over the PD engine? Im looking at a couple of years old most likely rather than new. The CR being newer it'll obviously cost more! Any ideas when the CR came along?

Thanks for that! Another one came to mind, is it worthwhile going for the CR engine over the PD engine? Im looking at a couple of years old most likely rather than new. The CR being newer it'll obviously cost more! Any ideas when the CR came along?

The CR has been available since late this year. The PD TDi is still a good engine though.

If you're looking for performance then get the TFSI as it's quicker, hands down. I'm looking for a remap on my CR TDI to bridge the gap and give me the sort of performance I'm used to.

The engines are quite different IMHO the PD has a big whoosh of power and the newer CR has a more smooth delevery

The manual CR 170 is in a lower tax band too

It first came along in the UK around mid July 2008

On a better note if you get a PD there are plenty of good remaps for this engine :thumbup:

Its likely it'll be a PD i'd get then, if its mainly down to how smooth the power delivery is then a remap obviously would help! Im interested in the diesel for the fuel economy benefits, im doing just enough mileage to make it worthwhile having it over the petrol.

If you're looking for performance then get the TFSI as it's quicker, hands down. I'm looking for a remap on my CR TDI to bridge the gap and give me the sort of performance I'm used to.

There is actually quite a difference isn't there !!

im doing just enough mileage to make it worthwhile having it over the petrol.

In terms of the PD, the difference between the TFSI and TDI isn't that great, I'm only getting 42 mpg from my TDI and I got a steady 35 mpg from my TFSI, combine this difference with the high cost of Diesel compaired to petrol and you may want to revisit those sums !!!

Oh don't start that old chestnut again :rofl:

its been covered plenty of times :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andy

Having driven owned both the TFSI and TDI PD I feel I'm entitled to make my observations ...... :P

At the end of the day both are cracking car's :thumbup:

There is actually quite a difference isn't there !!

Yes I agree, more than I thought there would be too.

I have driven the PD VRs too and am inclinded to think that it's a bit quicker than the CR.

Having said that, at motorway speeds there's nothing in it - it's through the gears where I really notice the difference.

In terms of the PD, the difference between the TFSI and TDI isn't that great, I'm only getting 42 mpg from my TDI and I got a steady 35 mpg from my TFSI, combine this difference with the high cost of Diesel compaired to petrol and you may want to revisit those sums !!!

Sorry, dont see how that can be.

If your only getting 42 from the TDI but could get 35 from the TFSI was that on the same routes and speeds?

If I rag my TDI it goes down to 38mpg but if driving gently I can get anything from 45 to 60. Cant see that you can get anywhere near those figures in a TFSI.

Steve

Sorry, dont see how that can be.

If your only getting 42 from the TDI but could get 35 from the TFSI was that on the same routes and speeds?

If I rag my TDI it goes down to 38mpg but if driving gently I can get anything from 45 to 60. Cant see that you can get anywhere near those figures in a TFSI.

Steve

Why can't you see that I can't get near that figure in a TFSI? Is it because you've never owned/driven the TFSI? After 14k miles in the TFSI I think I comment on how economical it is or isn't. See below for the stats;

235537_41.png

As for the TDI, well I only have 2k worth of miles under my belt in that, similar sort of routes and miles per month/journey, and am only getting an overall 42mpg :confused:

The only couple of occassions where the TDI has outshone the TFSI (in mpg terms) is on exceptionally long motorway journeys where I have stuck to bang on 70 using cruise control (seen 52 mpg).

All the above is based on my driving style and observations. Of course driving styles differ greatly between individuals and I have run a fair few TDI's in my time and am a fan of them :thumbup:

However, the TFSI for me, is probably one of the most exceptional engines I have had the pleasure of having under the bonnet of my car.............. and yes, once I have got a new house sorted and purchased in the new year I will probably be looking to get another TFSI powered car :thumbup:

Edited by Johnwg

Your right John, never driven a TFSI.

Good figures your getting there then, especially for the TFSI.

But getting back on topic, whatever enjin is chosen, the Octavia is a cracking car. You do get a lot of admiring looks from folk, rather than people judging you type looks when you drive an Audi or BMW.

Steve

Your right John, never driven a TFSI.

Good figures your getting there then, especially for the TFSI.

But getting back on topic, whatever enjin is chosen, the Octavia is a cracking car. You do get a lot of admiring looks from folk, rather than people judging you type looks when you drive an Audi or BMW.

Steve

Believe me Steve, I was very suprised at the figures I got from the TFSI as well!

I think the key is you can drive the TFSI in a brisk manner without having to take it to the red line, as it has a TDI like amount of low down grunt. A few years ago I had a Saab 93 with a 180bp 2.0t, never really saw much above 30mpg in that!

Couldn't agree with you more in terms of the Octavia VRS in either form, as I said both are cracking cars and any debate about which one is better is down to personal preference in my view... I loved the look of my TFSI Estate, and I love the look of my TDI hatch, both draw admiring glances and neither look(ed) down market when parked next to Audi's or BM's. :thumbup:

I'm assuming that in the new year the TFSI engine will be replaced by the new TSI (if it hasnt allready).

What's the score with the TSI Lummox, from what I gather it's got even more power (210 bhp?) and is more economical, with lower CO2?

Seems like there's some silly discounting going on out there for brand new cars, random searchs online for discount car suppliers see's a brand new CR vRS TDi specced up for £14k, makes a mockery of 1yr old used ones at dealers for more money!! Oh so tempting but 6mths off really needing to do anything, check me out for planning ahead!!

What's the score with the TSI Lummox, from what I gather it's got even more power (210 bhp?) and is more economical, with lower CO2?

I think it books as 200bhp, actually feels a little slower (but that maybe due to be driving brand new Scirrocos which are still tight). Tuning should be interesting though, quite a bit of potential there I think.

Answers

Same if not better in some respects

Only downside is some peoples badge snobbery

:thumbup:

Just a comment on this.... I own a Fabia vRS, (looking at an Octavia vRS CRD). Do you think the 'Noise, Vibration and harshness; (NVH) are the same in a Skoda than an Audi ? I doubt it. Also the paint on my skoda scratches and stonechips exceedingly easily.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Skoda is a value for money brand, but I think there are differences between Skoda -> Volkswagen -> Audi. Many shared components, and as long as you know what the differences are you can make an educated decision (I decided on a Fabia as opposed to the VW equivalent).

I suspect that the differences are engineered in now, for example how much extra would it cost for a skoda to have as robust paint as an Audi or the same level of insulation ? A few pennies per model ? But to do so would detract from the prestige brand of Audi if you could get exactly the same thing cheaper.

As to the badge, if your bothered by that you wouldnt be looking in the first place :).

This isnt a negative post, just be aware of what the differences are and make your choice.

RBW.

42mpg/35mpg = 120%

Even 20% extra isn't too shabby (I realise diesel is currently almost 14% more expensive in some places - that is STD diesel vs STD petrol, but that will change if new refineries come on line)

Do you need to run petrol on super?

Tax and insurance is cheaper AFAIK with diesel.

Of course, you can't put a price on clatter or NVH!

Plus that heavy block does encourage heavy tire usage and possibly heavy nosed steering (slightly mitigated in estate weight distribution)

Why can't you see that I can't get near that figure in a TFSI? Is it because you've never owned/driven the TFSI? After 14k miles in the TFSI I think I comment on how economical it is or isn't. See below for the stats;

235537_41.png

Wow. My TFSi averages about 26.5 (according to the on board computer) And that's without even giving it some beans. Get a couple of motorway/dual carrageway runs in there and it increases to about 30mpg.

Has someone filled my boot with concrete whilst i wasnt looking?? :rofl:

Wow. My TFSi averages about 26.5 (according to the on board computer) And that's without even giving it some beans. Get a couple of motorway/dual carrageway runs in there and it increases to about 30mpg.

Has someone filled my boot with concrete whilst i wasnt looking?? :rofl:

i agree with that fully. i have consistently over the last 15500 miles averaged around 26-27mpg around town, with a long run on the motorway producing 35-37mpg.

that isnt half bad when you consider the alternative petrol hot hatches out there

compare the vrs figures of urban at 26.2mpg to the other hot hatches out there, they might be more powerful but with just a remap you will get more power and torque than all of them. and your fuel economy doesnt suffer at all,(well mine hasnt at all, if anything it is now better)

focus ST at 20.5mpg

meganne 225 at 24.6mpg

astra vxr 21.7mpg

i think that just goes to show how good the TFSI engine is.