using dust sheets in dusty garage

jifster

Hey guys & girls,

I will be taking delivery of my shiny black Fabia vRS Wednesday week and have been clearing out my garage in anticipation. While it is quite clean (considering it has been used for storage for 20 years) it is rather dusty and it will probably take a while of useage and cleaning for it to reduce. Has anyone heard of or use cotton dust sheets on their cars while stored in the garage? My car will be a weekend car as I work in the City and well, getting the bus is so much easier as there is nowhere to park... but I just know that if my car is left for a week at a time, or even a few days it will have a thin layer of dust on it. I guess I could just buy a cotton double sheet but wondered if they make such things ready made for cars, ie one shape for hatchbacks etc.... Perhaps a silly question, perhaps not. :rolleyes:

jifster

:mouse:

A very quick Google search turned up these 2 firms which sell car covers but doubtless there are loads more out there.

http://www.airflow.uk.com/

http://www.information.gb.com/pj-covers/frame.html

Assuming that your garage is dry, and the problem is airborne dust rather than grit being blown around, I think that I would try using some old cotton bed sheets first and see if they do the trick.

A very quick Google search turned up these 2 firms which sell car covers but doubtless there are loads more out there.

http://www.airflow.uk.com/

http://www.information.gb.com/pj-covers/frame.html

Assuming that your garage is dry' date=' and the problem is airborne dust rather than grit being blown around, I think that I would try using some old cotton bed sheets first and see if they do the trick.[/quote']

Ah thanks, yes it's a brick/concrete garage and very dry, lots of spiders and cobwebs that i'm slowly cleaning out (although I do allow the spiders back lol). I may wash the walls down and think about painting some of the brickwork as it seems to be very dry and dusty. I guess a fitted cover would be nice if it's still washing machine size, if not your right, a couple of cotton covers may be better (and easier to keep clean).

thanks !

jifster

Try ringing Cameroon Ballooons in Bristol & see if they have any Parachutes out of the top of refurbished Balloons going cheap. Ive used one for about 4 years & its ideal. They are made of Nylon so wont absorb the water should the car be damp & are also lighter than cotton sheets so are easy to get on & off the car. It they ask what size you need at least one from a 77 (77000 cubic foot balloon).

They should have a few lying around as its quite a common item to replace on a Balloon, simple science will tell you the top of the balloon is the hottest part & as the fabric ages it becomes porous thus the balloon needs more gas/flies for shorter periods so a way of prolonging its life is to put a new top in it.

Try ringing Cameroon Ballooons in Bristol & see if they have any Parachutes out of the top of refurbished Balloons going cheap. Ive used one for about 4 years & its ideal. They are made of Nylon so wont absorb the water should the car be damp & are also lighter than cotton sheets so are easy to get on & off the car. It they ask what size you need at least one from a 77 (77000 cubic foot balloon).

Thanks for the tip. I may give them a try.

jifster

You can actually park your car in the garage? :eek:

Well it took 2 years (a few afternoons but overall 2 years) to clear the damn thing, I wish I had of taken a photo of it, it was quite unbelievable really.

Every few days I just go down there and stand in the middle of the empty space taking it in.

Also you wouldn't want a new vRS parked in the street around my way... even with a garage i'm going to be awake wondering if my car is ok since they bust open the garages if they think there is something worth stealing inside. :mad:

Luckily I can see the garage from my window and i'm going to look into an alarm system that will page me if my garage is opened or the car tampered with..... oh the joys of living in Camden. :rolleyes:

jifster

Cotton covers will scratch your car to hell try to get something bespoke :)

We have bespoke cotton covers... they don't scratch.

...then again, we use cotton applicators, cloths, pads, terry towels etc.

Anything CAN scratch your car. I have seen top quality micro-fibre cloths leave marks when rubbed too hard.

I think that I should have referred to cotton dustsheets rather than covers sorry.

Anyhow, they don't scratch half as much as having the family cats clambering all over the bonnet (especially when the engine is still warm). Mine gets a old bed blanket over the bonnet and curtains over the roof panel.

Bear in mind that your car is never going to be sparkling clean every time you garage it, so atmospheric fall out and road grime will rub off onto the inner surface of any cover. So ask yourself if it isn't spotless everytime you garage it, is it worth spending a considerable amount of money on a top notch cover which will pick up debris and scratch paint work? Of course if your car is yellow, scratches hardly show so one tends not to care, cats or no cats.....

Lee

Painting the garage is well worth doing, not only does it seem to clear some of the dust but makes it alot brighter.

My garage when we first moved in..ugh!

?iid=yyo62x&outx=600&oq=0

After a lick of paint and a tidy up, have also now done the floor.

?iid=yyo6hf&outx=600&oq=0

Just enough room for a little'n

?iid=yf77g7&outx=600&oq=0

Also note the carpet on the walls, excellent door protection.

I would suggest a session of wall and floor painting. Best way to stop the dust is to seal the walls.

Yes, painting it did cross my mind, I think i'll do that. I brushed the wall with a broom the other day and it was run for cover time. I also considered the carpet on the walls as Ross has done as my father uses a peice of hardboard there so his door does not knock into the brick. Car is being delivered next wednesday so it's all systems go at the weekend, garage makover time. :thumbup:

jifster