What are the Octavia common faults?

I am not really an VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat person, my forte happens to lie in BMW.

I know BMW diesels have a few common problems, Injectors, turbos, glow plugs, well anything that's got to do with it being a diesel.

Do the Octavia 2.0TDI models from 2005- have any such issues? Are there any other common faults or bills I should expect to pay?

:) Thanks!

The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) and turbo charger failures come up more often than anything else.

The diesel particulate filter (DPF) can be a headache but that is only the PD170 found in the vRS.

As with all diesels, make sure the timing belt isn't overdue. The water pump impellers tend to crack, so it's best to get the pump replaced when the belt is done.

Most suffer from minor electrical problems at some time (door lock, windows, etc).

It all depends on the circumstances with a turbo, if its caught early it will be cheaper than if the engine ingests parts of the compressor turbine which is the worst case scenario. As for exact prices, I can't really help there.

I've not heard of 2.0TDIs losing water pump impellers, used to be a real issue on the 1.8T. The cambelt is 80,000 miles on the 2.0TDI.

Guest wilkopilko

I think I may just settle for a Subaru Legacy as they seem indestructible!

Don't be too sure, I've heard other stories - I took one for a test drive (Legacy) & it lost power & broke down on me on the way back to a dealer.

Its the same rule with any car make - you are more likely to hear from people who have had problems than you are the people with fault free cars.

My PD140 is up to 180,000 km and the only trouble I've had was the alternator. They go on any car. Otherwise, I think it's a first-rate piece of kit, especially given the price. I'd get another.

Its the same rule with any car make - you are more likely to hear from people who have had problems than you are the people with fault free cars.

I guess, I thought that when buying my current car (2002 530d)

Promptly the turbo failed costing £1k and the Transmission failed, costing £1.8k.

What happens if the DMF fails, I hear it damages the gearbox?

I think I may just settle for a Subaru Legacy as they seem indestructible!

As an ex Subaru Legacy Owner, yes indestructible, but you have to think about running costs compared to Octavia. Servicing, parts and fuel consumption are all much bigger. I've only had my Octavia Scout for a month now, but would not swap it now for a Legacy. The boot on the Octavia was my biggest concern as the Legacy was very long, but the volume in the Octavia easily matches this, although my lab might complain about the slightly poorer view :D

I guess, I thought that when buying my current car (2002 530d)

Promptly the turbo failed costing £1k and the Transmission failed, costing £1.8k.

What happens if the DMF fails, I hear it damages the gearbox?

Again its all down to the circumstances around the failure, I had a DMF failure on a Primera that resulted in a new DMF (obviously!), a new clutch and a gearbox rebuild. Thats pretty much the worst case scenario though, generally it's a new DMF and clutch only.

Again its all down to the circumstances around the failure, I had a DMF failure on a Primera that resulted in a new DMF (obviously!), a new clutch and a gearbox rebuild. Thats pretty much the worst case scenario though, generally it's a new DMF and clutch only.

what are the costs of a manual box rebuild?

As an ex Subaru Legacy Owner, yes indestructible, but you have to think about running costs compared to Octavia. Servicing, parts and fuel consumption are all much bigger. I've only had my Octavia Scout for a month now, but would not swap it now for a Legacy. The boot on the Octavia was my biggest concern as the Legacy was very long, but the volume in the Octavia easily matches this, although my lab might complain about the slightly poorer view :D

I guess the higher running costs will be offset by the fact it rarely goes wrong/

A bad thing for the legacy is £300 road tax as opposed to £100 of the Skoda.

I guess the higher running costs will be offset by the fact it rarely goes wrong.
mmm.. I certainly had a new l clutch and flywheel at 60,000 and I am not that heavy on it. Also tended to eat tyres. My last service which was a 90k with cam belt and new front discs cost me close on 1K from an independant garage. Worth noting that historically Legacy was prone to head gasket problems leading to catastophic engine failure. From what I have read and from the Octavia owners I know, my impression of Skoda relability is not that much differant to Subaru, but this may change in the next 12 months;).

The new Subaru diesel boxer engine has had mixed reviews and if you watched one of those silly Top Gear challanges recently (France to Blackpool on one tank) you will have seen Mr May struggle with poor fuel consumption despite the large tank giving it long range. Worth thinking about with the unstable fuel prices.

My Octavia 1.9 Tdi is now 4 years old 118,000 miles has never had a flywheel,clutch or turbo, the only thing that has been replaced was the radiator at 62,000.

The car is used as a taxi and would recommend them to anyone

My Mk II 1.9 TDI (Sept 2004) has 55000 on the clock. Problems to date:-

Bent wiper arm on delivery

Climatronic factory fault on delivery

Radio faulty on delivery

Flywheel disintegrated at 2 years 11 months (fortunately:))

These are the only faults that I can remember.

By contrast my Mk1 1.9 TDI hit 80,000 miles without any problems at all.

Is replacement of the flywheel a good preventative maintanance measure?

In the BMW world, if you ring BMW HQ they will give you details of all the dealer visits, you can then call the dealers to confirm service history and warranty work.

Does Skoda have a similar system?