Ride quality -Bone Shaker or What

Just recently come from what looked like towing springs, which were really comfy over the bumps. But rather dangerous and unpredictable during bends. Just nipping the brakes was enough for the front end to dive and the back lift off.

I've recently just put a set of Eibach springs on and only shortened the rear bump stops by about 15mm, while the ride is noticeably firmer its rather comfortable to drive still. Although hit a big enough rut in the road and the car doesn't quite soak up the bumps like the previous springs. But I never felt secure whilst driving with the other springs on.

Comparing it to the Astra Coupe Turbo i had before it sticks even better than the standard springs on the astra, but being independant links on the rear means it soaks up the bumps far better than the Astra's rear torsion beam.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new car is an '06 and has only done 25000 so nothing should be worn. I also cannot live with it and am looking for a new A4.

Get Koni FSDs fitted -you'll be surprised at the difference and far cheaper that switching cars when I'm sure you'll loose £££££££££.

Your are welcome to come out in my vRS with FSD (SWMBO prefers the ride comfort to her Roomster so it must be good).

I've got the L&K (Uprated Elegance) with the standard suspension and 18" rims. I find the ride quite soft esp when going round corners. The 18's don't soak up the bumps as much as the 16's that came with it, but its a sacrifice which I don't mind as they look a lot better.

I'm tempted to swap the suspension for koni and eibach springs...but not sure if I can justify the extra expense to car and insurance while trying to do up the house!

I've got the L&K (Uprated Elegance) with the standard suspension and 18" rims. I find the ride quite soft esp when going round corners. The 18's don't soak up the bumps as much as the 16's that came with it, but its a sacrifice which I don't mind as they look a lot better.

I'm tempted to swap the suspension for koni and eibach springs...but not sure if I can justify the extra expense to car and insurance while trying to do up the house!

Koni FSDs only will sort the wallowing in corners but keep the ride supple on the straights. :D:thumbup: Insurers ought not charge extra, after all 'I'm only replacing my worn out OE shocks'.

Is it worth seeing if anyone wants a wheel exchange- 16" to 17"?

Well, it depends. I went from my Fabia to my Leon DSG because of back problems. Mostly the DSG helps out, but the seats help a lot too- they are more supportive. The hard ride deosn't affect me.

Odd you mention that, I have a set of 5 elegance wheels, 4 wearing FK452 and 1 wearing an almost new dunlop sport and could be tempted.

Koni FSDs only will sort the wallowing in corners but keep the ride supple on the straights. :D:thumbup: Insurers ought not charge extra, after all 'I'm only replacing my worn out OE shocks'.

Hmmm...been checking prices on the net. Tempting but i'll have to resist.

I think i'll save this for when I get bored of the car to give it a new lease of life!

Hmmm...been checking prices on the net. Tempting but i'll have to resist.

I think i'll save this for when I get bored of the car to give it a new lease of life!

... or maybe try a set of vRS OE springs and shocks, see here;- http://briskoda.net/items-sale/skoda-octavia-vrs-items-sale/135748/

I saw that...but its TFSi

Thought they are different.

Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

if you look here;- Suspension - SKODA and here;- Suspension - SKODA you will see that there is no differentiation between TFSI and TDI for suitable Eiback springs and Koni shocks,; only between the Hatch and Estate on FSDs (eibach fit both).

So OE spec should be the same. :thumbup:

if you look here;- Suspension - SKODA and here;- Suspension - SKODA you will see that there is no differentiation between TFSI and TDI for suitable Eiback springs and Koni shocks,; only between the Hatch and Estate on FSDs (eibach fit both).

So OE spec should be the same. :thumbup:

Might have to take a VRs out for a spin and see if I like the set up!

How much is a rough cost of swapping the suspension?

SWMBO is gonna kill me :(

Might have to take a VRs out for a spin and see if I like the set up!
good idea; you'll either like it or not. If not; then you will have to be on the FSD route :D

How much is a rough cost of swapping the suspension?

£175 - £225?

SWMBO is gonna kill me :(

Hopefully not.;)

Thats not bad....I'll have to see what mine quote me.

If you are fitting the vRS springs/shocks don't see that you need to declare it as they are OE manufacturer's parts (you might have had the 'sport' suspension' as a dealer fit accessory on the car); its not like your fitting 50mm lowered coilovers etc.

Get Koni FSDs fitted -you'll be surprised at the difference and far cheaper that switching cars when I'm sure you'll loose £££££££££.

Your are welcome to come out in my vRS with FSD (SWMBO prefers the ride comfort to her Roomster so it must be good).

Thanks for the offer but there are just too many things i am not happy with on the car.

It really does have to go. On the happier front, my re-mapped Fabia vrs is fantastic and i enjoy every minute of it

If you are fitting the vRS springs/shocks don't see that you need to declare it as they are OE manufacturer's parts (you might have had the 'sport' suspension' as a dealer fit accessory on the car); its not like your fitting 50mm lowered coilovers etc.

Not going to be going ahead now, even tho the VRs TFSi set up will fit, the front springs are different due to the heavier lump in the front. :(

Its a real shame as I looking forward to it. I know I could still do it and replace the front springs....however what looked liked to be a cheap option to get better suspension has now turned into a more expensive one. And if I was spending that much, I might as well wait and go the whole hog with koni and eibachs!

Not going to be going ahead now, even tho the VRs TFSi set up will fit, the front springs are different due to the heavier lump in the front. :(

:confused: don't understand.

Accepted the TDI engine is heavier but eibach use the same springs for both TFSI and TDI.

:confused: don't understand.

Accepted the TDI engine is heavier but eibach use the same springs for both TFSI and TDI.

Maybe...but the original front springs on the VRs TFSi and VRs TDi are different. Maybe the eibachs have more weight tolerances.

Maybe...but the original front springs on the VRs TFSi and VRs TDi are different. Maybe the eibachs have more weight tolerances.

I can understand. You're probably correct and I know the feeling.

About 4 years ago I put a set of Fabia vRS spring into a 1.4mpi - result? Front end had about 30mm increase in ride height. :o:doh: Shhhhh; don't tell anyone. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Get smaller wheels and higher profile tyres.

If not, fit Michellin Pilot Primacy tyres - I did this for a Superb and the ride and handling improved significantly. I also doubled the longevity from 25k to 50k miles for the fronts.

• 5 months later...

On a slightly related note I run a 58 plate Octy II L&K Petrol on 17" sputniks and I think that the ride is a bit harsh for the "luxury" model. (I deliberately got an L&K rather than a VRs after a test drive as I found the VRs on 18"'s un usable on the dodgy aberdeen shire roads). I now have a pot hole wrecked OSR wheel and tyre and find that no dealer stocks these "Accessory" wheels (and I though they came on L&K, 100 series and several Superb models). As a result my wife is moaning about having to stay below 50 (to comply with the sticker on the 16" spare. So I agree the ride is duff on 17"'s My mates elegance on 16"' rims is a whole heap better and you rally have to push hard to notice the cornering disadvantages.

On a slightly related note I run a 58 plate Octy II L&K Petrol on 17" sputniks and I think that the ride is a bit harsh for the "luxury" model. (I deliberately got an L&K rather than a VRs after a test drive as I found the VRs on 18"'s un usable on the dodgy aberdeen shire roads). I now have a pot hole wrecked OSR wheel and tyre and find that no dealer stocks these "Accessory" wheels (and I though they came on L&K, 100 series and several Superb models). As a result my wife is moaning about having to stay below 50 (to comply with the sticker on the 16" spare. So I agree the ride is duff on 17"'s My mates elegance on 16"' rims is a whole heap better and you rally have to push hard to notice the cornering disadvantages.

Try giving these guys a call;- Bickerton Skoda Sheffield - New and Used Cars, Sheffield, South Yorkshire they came up trumps for me a while ago when I needed a B14 18" wheel (that no-one else had).

Are you thinking though of downsizing to 16" wheels though?