electrical gremlins - is it just me

I getting a bit fed up of electrical / computer gremlins. am i just unlucky or do other people have these issues ?

it started with the electric seat memory being really inconsistent. And the alarm going off.

i get back from the dealers today and now my folding mirrors dont work when pressing and holding the lock button. they worked yesterday.

Then tonight a really odd thing happned. I was setting the delay time for the convenience lights (ie the coming home function) and a noticed a new item on the "lights and vision" menu. it said "footwell lighting". i went into this and found you can vary the intensity of the footwell lighting by steps of +/- 5%. so i changed the values to see what it looked like. I exited the menu and the foot well lights went dim. great i thought. a new function. maybe there was a small software update at the dealer today, I realised the lights were a bit too dim so i thought i would go back in the menu and adjust it back . when i got in the menu the function was not there. :mad:

im not going mad - it def appeared under the leaving home and coming home lights option. now its gone and the lights are practically off they are so dim. but there is no way i can get them back again.

another trip to the dealer.....im getting fed up and only had the car 2 weeks. I am concerned about the robustness of the electrical system ECU for the life of the car.

can someone with an elegance go into setup>lights and vision and tell me if they can see "foot well lights" please.

I think that all the items you are having trouble with are controlled by the same ecu and could therefore all be linked. The symptoms suggest a loose connection, but I would be surprised if they have not been checked.

the problem is the dealer is being very cautious an wont replace anything until skoda say its ok to do so. I can understand their point to a degree but its me (the customer) who is being inconvenienced. Surely then shoudl simply sort the issue by replacing said ECU and then deal with skoda UK on the warranty claim. I should not have to keep going back to the dealer. However they are telling me the GFF report is showing no faults which is making things difficult. Again I understand this but there is a clearly a fault.

I have heard about something called a convenience unit - presumably this is an ECU that controls the convenience functions in the car ? can anyone confirm if this is the case ?

i think its time to now put all the gremlins on paper and go back to the dealer for a discussion.

I used to have the Mark 1. The Mark1 forum reported electrical gremlins from time to time and one of the solutions suggested there (by people involved in servicing) was to disconnect the battery so that the system re-booted. It seems this often resolved issues. I understand that on the Mark 1 there was a delay period for battery replacement etc that basically gave you about two hours before you needed the code to reactivate the system. I'm not sure what the system is for the Mark 2 - it may be similar. Due to a tightening of security by Skoda it's no longer quite as easy to get hold of the 'code' for cars as it was.

I getting a bit fed up of electrical / computer gremlins. am i just unlucky or do other people have these issues ?

it started with the electric seat memory being really inconsistent. And the alarm going off.

i get back from the dealers today and now my folding mirrors dont work when pressing and holding the lock button. they worked yesterday.

Then tonight a really odd thing happned. I was setting the delay time for the convenience lights (ie the coming home function) and a noticed a new item on the "lights and vision" menu. it said "footwell lighting". i went into this and found you can vary the intensity of the footwell lighting by steps of +/- 5%. so i changed the values to see what it looked like. I exited the menu and the foot well lights went dim. great i thought. a new function. maybe there was a small software update at the dealer today, I realised the lights were a bit too dim so i thought i would go back in the menu and adjust it back . when i got in the menu the function was not there. :mad:

im not going mad - it def appeared under the leaving home and coming home lights option. now its gone and the lights are practically off they are so dim. but there is no way i can get them back again.

Well well well someone with a problem near mine my problem start with the light panel od dashboard was to dim, and when we try to lower down the light he only take a little of light, in the reosther do you have the same problem or not, try it and put were.

Regards

I have disabled DRL and guess what!? Next day it cames back just like that :rkick: :Yikes:

The new Superb has a big surprise for us. The "convenience" and "onboard supply" units are no more individual units. The convenience is now part of the onboard supply. Maybe they don`t like to live together on the same board :o

Edited by xxleeus