CR TDi 170 & 4x4!

• 1 month later...

If you don't fancy the Superb there is another way to get 4x4 and CR TDi 170 under a Skoda Badge.

It's Yeti time.......

SkodaYeti_2_EN.jpg

Yeti_5_780x586.jpg

Some info here, here and here

Think I'll just hang onto the Scout, not sure about the look of the thing to be honest.

Niall

The new 170 DSG Superb is excellent. Possible to go over the limit and not realise it's so quiet. Pity about the £25k cost though....

Don't worry, just wait a year or so....

;)

It's Yeti time.......

Niall

Absolutely not normally a fan of SUVs (on principle really - too tall; too noisy; too rolly; too thirsty) but I have to say this looks the business - both visually and from a concept viewpoint.

It has the classy, clean, understated lines of a Range Rover product, with particular hints of the Freelander. Far less fussy than the Kuga - has more styling integrity if there is such a thing! Also seems to be a neat halfway house between an out-and out SUV and something like the C-MAX. If the interior is as good as the Skoda spokesman is claiming I think they have a winner on their hands.

Only criticism ... they've used those weird front side windows off the Roomster that don't know what they're supposed to be lining up with at the bottom. But the rear side windows look really classy in the pics.

I quite like the look of it.

Strangely enough, I've been looking a bit more carefully and it's not that bad. Who knows, I may post in half an hour raving about it :rofl:

I didn't realise Skoda did a 3.6L 4X4 Superb!

I didn't realise Skoda did a 3.6L 4X4 Superb!

Oh they do ;)

One was recently givern the full Briskoda road test treatment :D

averaged 9.5mpg over the whole tank :rofl:

I must admit, I really hanker after a 4wd car (as opposed to offroader) for my next car. I'm not sure 170bhp is enough in a car that carries the extra weight (and the usual losses associated with 4wd) of the 4wd hardware, yes obviously it would still be reasonably powerful, but probably slower overall than the equivelent car in FWD.

In the run up to buying my current vRS TDi 170, I was praying that Skoda would give the vRS Octavia the diesel treatment (and they did, obviously), now I'm hoping they'll do the same with the 4WD treatment! If they don't, I'll probably be about to leave the brand for the first time in almost 10 years, I've had 3 consecutive Octavias and fancy a change.

I must admit, I really hanker after a 4wd car (as opposed to offroader) for my next car. I'm not sure 170bhp is enough in a car that carries the extra weight (and the usual losses associated with 4wd) of the 4wd hardware, yes obviously it would still be reasonably powerful, but probably slower overall than the equivelent car in FWD.

The Yeti is supposed to be quite light (probably no heavier than the Octavia, even with 4wd) so I would have thought the 170-TDI and the 1.8TFSI should both be quite good performers.

The Yeti is supposed to be quite light (probably no heavier than the Octavia, even with 4wd) so I would have thought the 170-TDI and the 1.8TFSI should both be quite good performers.

A CR170 Yeti 4x4 sounds quite a fruity proposition. :D There are some quite distinctive styling points that I like; its not a 4x4/SUV trying to be a car; more like a Tonka toy or LandRover Defender. Very thought provoking.

Could also be considered an upgrade from a Roomster.

The one thing the vRS Octy is crying out for is four wheel drive; Audi have linked the two in the latest TT so why not the Octy?

In the run up to buying my current vRS TDi 170, I was praying that Skoda would give the vRS Octavia the diesel treatment (and they did, obviously), now I'm hoping they'll do the same with the 4WD treatment! If they don't, I'll probably be about to leave the brand for the first time in almost 10 years, I've had 3 consecutive Octavias and fancy a change.

So how about a remapped Octavia 4x4 then?

Just happened to be reading a Group Test in an old copy of What Car of the Kuga, Tiguan, CR-V and Freelander all of which are competitors to the Yeti and are, frankly, bland, inoffensive, non-descript for their styling.

Have to say the yeti is pretty in your face and certainly doesn't hide its light under a bushel; somewhat Marmite - I like it!

Now with a remap, 18/19" wheels could be quite a Q car let alone an SUV.

• 2 months later...
The one thing the vRS Octy is crying out for is four wheel drive; Audi have linked the two in the latest TT so why not the Octy?

Because then people would buy the Skoda, not the more expensive Audi they were considering :)

And while another desirable option, DSG, has eventually made it's way through the vRS range, I'd be very surprised if the same could be said for a 4WD drivetrain on a vRS.

Steve

Because then people would buy the Skoda, not the more expensive Audi they were considering :)

Come on Steve...if someone is looking at the TT I don't think an Octy vRS is going to be on their list.

Perhaps true, in the case above - but my point wasn't really about the TT specifically. You could say the same about the A3 against the Octy, or the A4 in saloon or avant forms against it as well.

Who's to say someone considering a 1.8T or 2.0T A4 Avant Quattro, who has placed 4wd at the top of the 'must have' list, wouldn't be tempted if the powerplant they wanted was available with 4wd in a Skoda?

Anyway - who knows! :)

Steve