Octy II vs Superb II- Ride quality

I have now completed my first week and 871 miles with my Superb II.

Initially, I thought the ride was slightly better in the Superb, however, I am now of the opinion it is merely equivalent, and not better than my Octy II, which I drove for a happy 4 years (114k miles).

The Superb absorbs potholes and ridges better, however, the ride on motorways and A/B roads appears on the side of firm, rather than cosseting. I was expecting a slightly softer ride in the Superb. Perhaps with a few more miles the dampers will be more accommodating?

Has anyone else come from a Octy II to a Superb II who can offer an opinion?

Furthermore, the tyres are the same size on both my Octy and Superb (205/55/16), so the ride quality cannot be explained by larger wheels and/or lower profile tyres, however, my Superb's Michelin Energy tyres have stiffer sidewalls (94 XL), whereas the Octy had normal strength sidewalls (91). Would the ride on my Superb be noticeably softer with 91 index sidewalls? 95% of the time the vehicle will contain myself only, therefore, 94 index tyres are not strictly necessary.

ah ha - someone who thinks like me !!!

I think the XL tyres spoil the superb and I am currently looking into the possibilty of going to 91H tyres. I have an email in to skoda CZ and they have responded to say they are looking into it and will get back to me next week. I asked them to check if the type approval specifically states the car has 94 load rating tyres. If not then i will change. XL tyres are not necessary in my opinion. I will never go about 80mph. I need to consider the implications on towing but then my passat has 91H and has towed for the last 4 years. the superb is only the weight of one normal person heavier than my passat so it makes no sense at all. I will get back to you !

Jonathan, I was at my local Skoda dealer to order a boot liner and some F & R mudflaps when I spied a Superb Mk 1 shod with 17" tyres. Despite the fact this vehicle (2.0Tdi 140) is probably heavier than my Superb II the tyre load index was 91, as opposed to 94 on my car.

I tested a 1.9 PD in SE spec yesterday with the 17" wheels and came away disappointed.

The ride was too hard for what I want. I'm not sure the 16" wheels will make that much difference. Maybe with the 91 strength sidewalls would but difficult and expensive to find out.

The handling was good and performance from the 1.9PD adequate. Noise levels were ok too although I wasn't keen on the low frequency noise generated when the car crashed over bumps.

I suspect car manufacturers favour better handling over good ride to keep the motoring journalists onside. Not sure where to go now for a good quiet comfortable cruiser? Maybe cars which are not liked in magazine reviews are the ones to go for...

Edited by xmy

I had a Superb II for a week and thought the handing and the ride were excellent. It was the 170 CR Elegance. Quiet, quick and very limo like compared to my Octavia. I'd have one but the £25k required rather stops me.

I had a Superb II for a week and thought the handing and the ride were excellent. It was the 170 CR Elegance. Quiet, quick and very limo like compared to my Octavia. I'd have one but the £25k required rather stops me.

Perhaps it depends on what you are used to. Someone who has a hard riding sports car will think the Superb has a good ride. Another person whose current car has a soft ride will think the Superb's ride is on the hard side.

Having said that I have read posts on this forum that suggest the 170 CR is better riding compared to other Superbs despite the 18" wheels. Maybe I should give the 170 CR an extended test drive.

Where I live one needs proper winter tyres (you would need it in the UK today from what I see on the news...), so I have 16" Nokian Hakkapelitta (without spikes) 205/55 R16 94R XL on my Superb. Summer tyres are on 17" but in storage since delivery, so I do not know the brand but I suspect XL as well. If Skoda dealers equip even 16" with XL tyres it might be a request from Skoda Auto?

I find the ride much more comfortable in the Superb than in my previous Octavia.

On the Octavia I had winter tyres with spikes on 15", and it is not just the lack of the whining sound from the spikes. The Superb is more quiet than the Octy, but still I would have liked more sound proofing from the wheels (the lack of this is a trademark of VAG cars except the new Golf perhaps). Swedish roads are not particulary good and salt defrosting of the roads during winter time wear the asphalt a lot and leaves a rough surface that rumbles too much while driving upon.

I was quite happy with my Octavia but the Superb is way better (and more expensive...) overall.

Edited by Minuss

i have had some info back from skoda CZ but its useless. It simply tells me the tyres tested on each model. most have XL tyres but the greenline has 91H. this makes no sense.

I have some 16" 91H tyres on my passat that will fit the superb. I plan to swap them over ,when the weather improves, and go for a drive !!. this shoudl answer once and for all if i will benefit from the 16" softer sidewall tyres. All i would then need to do is address the insurance issue.

i have had some info back from skoda CZ but its useless. It simply tells me the tyres tested on each model. most have XL tyres but the greenline has 91H. this makes no sense.

I have some 16" 91H tyres on my passat that will fit the superb. I plan to swap them over ,when the weather improves, and go for a drive !!. this shoudl answer once and for all if i will benefit from the 16" softer sidewall tyres. All i would then need to do is address the insurance issue.

I agree. My 1.9Tdi S is fitted with Michelin Energy Saver 94 XL tyres, so why would the Greenline with the same engine have more pliant 91H tyre sidewalls? Perhaps it's due to the lighter payload through the omission of a spare wheel! ;)

Edited by veloplus

skoda said if i was to change the tyres that they "could not guarantee the performance of the car". I am taking this to mean that if i choose to swap it is not a problem but will mean the car may not perform the same (which i know is total BS as the greenline is the same weight as my car and I dont plan to take the superb round silverstone so 91H will be fine)

I looked at my dads car last night (laguna) and he has 94W on the front and 91W on the rear. He is not aware he has this as he has simply trusted his local tyre dealer to replace the tyres "like for like" when his tyres wore out. wonder what the insurance implications are - i phoned the renault dealer and they said it shoudl have XL tyres on it. thing is the dealer doesnt really have a brain or common sense - they simply look on a computer screen and it tells them what the car left the factory on.

I wonder if i can get access to the type approval data to help my argument ?

thing is people change wheels and tyres all the time and I bet they dont give the XL issue a second thought. I bet the insurance company dont care really but i will make sure as I dont want to be in the situation where i have an accident and they dont pay out due to incorrect tyres ?

had accidents before and they have never looked at the tyres. I really dont think they are bothered !

go to www.skoda-auto.com and use contacts on there

I know about that address thanks. I was wondering about the email address of the REPLY that you received. It might give a direct link to a department or someone helpful, rather than just a global email address to a Customer Services box.

chris - that was the address i emailed and i did get a response in a couple of days. i have sent you a PM with the specific address i got a reply from.

Edited by jcblincs
removed email address

Working on anti-spam I know it's an extremely bad idea posting someones email address on a public forum as they will start getting lots of spam. For the sake of the guy at Skoda can this address be removed asap.

Working on anti-spam I know it's an extremely bad idea posting someones email address on a public forum as they will start getting lots of spam. For the sake of the guy at Skoda can this address be removed asap.

sorry ! didnt think. removed it now and sent pm.