Replacing undertray/splash guard

Bodge

I'm after a bit of help with replacing my drivers side undertray/splash guard (the ones that reach to the back of the subframe but also protect the aux. drive belt).

Part number is 1J0 825 250 G and it costs £25, but I can't find any information on how it's attached.

I managed to totally destroy mine on the deep snow, and now it's ratting about when I brake and it's annoying me!

Has anyone done this job before? I'm hoping it's just a case of wipping off the wheel and arch liner to gain access to the upper fixings.

An ETKA image would be awesome if anyone could post one. Cheers guys :thumbup:

On the diesel there is the main large (larger than on the petrol) tray that slots into the metal work under the rad, and has a number of torx screws about the side/back.

I think there are two smaller pieces that clip into the front bumper and screw into the wheel arch liner. There may be some other bits of plastic but I can't remember now.

Dunno if this is of any help though....

On the diesel there is the main large (larger than on the petrol) tray that slots into the metal work under the rad, and has a number of torx screws about the side/back.

I think there are two smaller pieces that clip into the front bumper and screw into the wheel arch liner. There may be some other bits of plastic but I can't remember now.

Dunno if this is of any help though....

Yeah I've previously removed all the ones you mentioned, but these guards are the ones that cover the sides of the engine, and then reach under the engine. Connecting to the main central front splash guard, and reach back to connect to the rear of the subframe. They always break and rip off at the rear mount when you ground the car. You see a lot of cars with the ends hanging down like ears!

These guards also attach to the underside of the two chassis beams, which the engine mounts are attached to. This is the bit that I'm not sure about, because it's hidden.

I guess I'm going to have to just get on with it. I'll try and get some pics when I get round to it. Here's the plastic guard in question:

p1010438aib7.jpg

An EKTA image would help though! ;)

You need to get your head under the front by the intercooler (remove the small cover if it isn't missing) and take off the wheel, then the two star press on fittings can be seen, as well as one torx to the subframe and it clips in the front.

Greg.

Found a picture if the part. Looks like the top 2 fixing points just press over ribbed studs or something.

I can remember taking mine off now! It is held on with some of those fan washer type of things - not sure of the proper name. A bit like a washer, but with a number of fingers that go from the outer washer "edge" towards the washer "centre hole". (inverted star - ish!)

My plastic was split (guess a previous owner has hit something with it), so I just blent a strip of aluminium and pop-rivetted that around the corner. Cheaper and quicker than sourcing a replacement part of plastic. :thumbup:

Take the BUMPER off??? It takes 5 minutes flat to remove and refit these side panels, the front star washe is easily reached from underneath once the under engine tray is removed (it's up on the chassis rail).

It's a tad easier to lean under the front of the car & use a screwdriver to lever the starwasher/cover down off the stud than to remove the front bumper to do the same thing just from the front!

So long as you are viewing the cover from by the sump rather than through the wheel arch for the front star washer, all is clear.

I had to pull one yesterday to do a gearbox oil change on a 1.6, took around 5 minutes including jacking up & removing the wheel.

Greg.

If you take the front bumper off it is really easy to reach those fan washers to push them back up the prongs they attach to.

Right, I did this job yesterday, so here's what I did:

-Jacked front offside up and removed wheel.

-Washed out arch and removed mud flap and arch liner.

-Removed small corner undertray (under the intercooler) and main central undertray.

-Levered off the guard in question using a broad flat blade screwdriver, working from inside the wheel arch. It just popped right off nicely, and then had to wiggle it out from underneath the car.

-I then cleaned out the arch again properly, and cleaned all the bits I had taken off. Including the 2 inches of soil behind the arch liner!

-I found that I couldn't easily get the new guard on without dropping the pancake pipe down a couple of cm's. One 10mm nut holds the pancake pipe in position.

-While I was at it, I removed and cleaned out the pancake pipe, and replaced the hose to intercooler, along with new stanless jubilee clips.

-I also took the oportunity to straighten my bumper up a smidge, as it wasn't quite bang on.

-I then clipped and screwed all the plastic bits back on, and job done.

The rattle has now gone, and the undertray is now on nice and solid with the new screws I got. I also have one very clean wheel arch! Pretty satisfying Sunday afternoon really.

I'll try a post a picture at some point...

Cheers for the help with getting this done guys.

• 4 years later...