Is it worth spending money on improving my 1.9 PD TDI?

I have always been interested in how things work, and looking for ways to improve them. Computers, Motorbikes, Cars, etc - had them all to bits at some point, and messed around trying to squeeze more power out of them. Now I'm coming up against a bit of a head and heart battle of what I should do, if anything at all, to my new toy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 1.9 PD TDI, but obviously would of jumped at the chance to buy the VRS version had there been one available for the same price. So it gets me thinking, if Skoda made 30bhp on the 2L PD170 VRS compared to the 2L PD140, then there has to be a significant improvement possible with the 1.9L PD105 engine.

Obviously my heart would jump at the chance to take my car to bits to clean it up and replace some of the stock parts with better aftermarket ones to really get the most out of it, but then my head thinks that would be a waste of money and I should of just bought a different car to begin with. There are also other, more sensible things, to consider - such as insurance validity/premiums, the potential of shortening the car's life expectancy, and fuel economy. I'm planning on keeping this car and running it into the ground, as I can see it lasting a very long time, so losing any money on resale doesn't come into it at all.

But then I thought if I wanted to get a car that I could potentially bugger up, then get another cheap car as a project to do up, or get something like a Caterham or possibly another motorbike to play with. What do you think? :)

Great minds think alike...recently sold my Mk 1 Octy vRS and am now the proud owner of a Seat Altea 1.9 TDi, with the 105 BHP engine.

I initially thought about a re-map, but have been quoted £375, which I can't really justify spending, especially as SWMBO and the kids want a holiday.

Great minds think alike...recently sold my Mk 1 Octy vRS and am now the proud owner of a Seat Altea 1.9 TDi, with the 105 BHP engine.

I initially thought about a re-map, but have been quoted £375, which I can't really justify spending, especially as SWMBO and the kids want a holiday.

Oh well, shame about that holiday then :rofl:

Steve

It all depends what you're after.

The insurance is the biggest factor to consider if you want to up the power. If you stay clear from upping the power, more insurers will allow you on their books, and often not even with too big an increase. Zurich was great for all the mods pre-power.

Handling, brakes etc are worthwhile upgrades that do not have to mean insurance increases.

A remap will take yours up a fair bit, and it would make it more fun to drive, or alternatively you can map it for economy, not sure if you'd have to declare it in that case, although I'd imagine so.

I got my 07 1.9tdi elegance remapped recently (Angel Tuning). I'm not one for driving like a nutter but there is a great boost in power especially for safer overtaking in 4/5th gear. I'll be hanging onto this car for a long time. I'm looking into doing another few jobs,re cruise control and maxidot. This car is too good to give away to a dealer for a new one!!

What are you doing to your cruise control?

I'm thinking of getting it fitted. I've been on to the local dealer and they have quoted approx. 200 euros to supply and fit. Depends on the funds.