How reliable is a ~300bhp vRS

zergutzu

Hello Guys,

First of all please excuse me If a have any language mistakes, as I am not a native English speaker :)

So... I am very close to buy a 2004 Octavia RS with 40.000 km which has some engine modifications as detailed below (I will list them exactly as the seller says)

Turbo Garrett GT28RS

aftermarket exhaust manifold

RS4 injectors

adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Setrab Intercooler & Oil Cooler

Oil Filter adapter cu Thermostat

Samco Silicon

Forges Manual Boost Controller

S3 MAF Sensor

Borla - 70mm complete exhaust

H&R suspension

With the above modifications the actual owner says that it has about 300bhp. I have driven the car and is really cool.

The only part that I am afraid of is that I will use the car daily, mostly in city. How reliable do you think a car like this will be? I also have to mention that I intend to keep it for about 2-3 years, and that I drive an average of 30.000 km / year.

I have also attached some images with the car and the engine bay.

Thank you,

Andrei

27218.attach

27219.attach

27220.attach

should be relaible as its got a good uprated turbo. these engines are good for serious power if the right mods are done

turbo is good for more power than that so will no be strained

rs4 injectors are more than capable

dont know much about the intercooler

all the other mods should be ok

i cant see you having too many issues

Does it come with the laptop stuck on the dashboard?!

Buy it! I like the way the exterior styling is totally standard, apart from the lack of front bumper grills. Great undercover beast!

thanks for the quick replay guys.

it's really a nice car and there are no mods to the interior or exterior (except some little details)..so It passes unobserved...until you kick it :D

I will go tomorrow to see it again and hopefully I will buy it.

Cheers,

Andrei

Guest westallc

that gauge on the dash looks daft and the laptop is a no no...nice looking on the outside:thumbup:

gt28 on standard internal + daily driver = probably not a good combination :o

also is there a reason the throttle body hose is off :confused:

other than that cool :thumbup:

Defo risking internal damage with a Gt28 bolted on... The black beast was modded with a Gt2871rs all the internals done and was pushing a lot more than that.....Manual boost controller is a bit risky as well

Phil

speednut is running 300 bhp on standard internals not with same turbo and uses it as a daily drive, thats still upsetting bmw etc etc.....

the turbo is able to take around 400bhp, but not your engine.

get it bought enjoy yourself;)

I know this car has been up for sale for a while. Also, since it was for sale on a Romanian tuning forum, I have a slight suspicion that the seller didn't drive it mildly. Having said that, if you test it THOROUGHLY, I think it should be fine. The only problem you might have is that it's got a little too much power for a crowded city ;)

The owner said me that he did raced the car, but as it has 40k km, I don't know how much the engine suffered (no strange noises, or oil leaks). Tomorrow I will take it for a ride in Bucharest, on a rush hour to see how it will react.

Due the fact that I will use it daily I won't have the chance to rev it to much. Honestly I don't have an aggressive driving style but would like to kick it once in a while.I am very afraid that the car will let me down without any warnings because of the mods.

Anyway I am looking for more replays from you guys and especially from those who have the same setup on their vRS.

Thanks,

Andrei

300bhp is fine if not driven like a complete tool every where and a gt28rs won't do 400bhp its only rated upto 350bhp according to garrett, to get 400+ on a T25 frame you need a gt2871 or small frame gt30 unit.

The key to a car like that will be the quality on the mapping. The components are of good quality, so it comes down to the map and how well its been put together.

That said, there is something about that engine bay shot that is making me think twice. I can't quite put my finger on it though.

The key to a car like that will be the quality on the mapping. The components are of good quality, so it comes down to the map and how well its been put together.

That said, there is something about that engine bay shot that is making me think twice. I can't quite put my finger on it though.

I know what you mean mate. There is something about the TIP thet dont look right to me.

It also dont say what software its running..

Couldn't agree more!!

The massive K&N filter isn't a good start, as i'm sure you know oiled filters and air flow meters don't mix. Tends to kill them quite nicely. Also, I see a spilt BOV, unless its been mapped for that, the car won't like it, they are programmed to expect a recirc.

Another thing that is strange, is there is alot of dirt around the charcoal filter. Possible leak at some point?

I would have thought the 5 speed box would handle it, clutch would slip alot and give up before the box would. It is german after all :)