Ipod Control with Bolero?!

Has anyone used an Ipod yet via the MDI and Bolero? Just wondering what sort of control you have, can you easily browse through artists, albums etc on the touchscreen?

Can someone post some pics showing the Bolero screen in Ipod mode?!

Cheers

i will have it end of March :)

Same here!! :thumbup:

I've recently ordered an Octavia SE 1.9TDi as my company car and had the MDI fitted for my Ipod. Was wondering how it will work with the Ipod. I'm hoping that you can use the touchscreen to easily browse through artists then albums etc rather than having to make up playlists which i don't use!! Can't seem to find much info on how it is all controlled!!

• 1 month later...
ask away, i've got it on my passat that i installed my self, can get you some photos if required

Great! Thanks a lot! I would like to know, first and foremost, how you navigate the music. Just by folders or there is artist/album/genre/etc.? Is it somehow possible to generate playlists, adding stuff, removing it, etc?

If you are using it with an iPod, does it playback music gaplessly (ie. without pauses where there should not be any, think The Dark Side of the Moon or live concerts)? Does it respect the volume tags (I'm used to Replaygain, but iPods call it differently; I'm referring to the tags that allow you to have music without volume jumping up and down if you mix and match songs from different albums.

Photos would be awesome!

I have a vRS LE with Bolero . I connected my Ipod via the AUX socket in the jumbo box.

As far as I could see , you cannot control the Ipod via the Bolero...shame

I have a vRS LE with Bolero . I connected my Ipod via the AUX socket in the jumbo box.

As far as I could see , you cannot control the Ipod via the Bolero...shame

You should be able to control the Ipod if you have the MDI interface, which if different to the aux in socket.

You can even plug in a laptop USB drive and navigate that using its folder structure.

with the ipod and MDI you have the same menu structure as the ipod, all your play lists are there its just on a larger touch screen instead. if you go for the usb option, its the same as putting an SD card in, you can browse through the folders and files like you would in explorer. next to a folder full of music you have a play icon so you can arrange the files into folders how ever you like.

I have my SD cards full of artist folders and then albums inside so if i see the artist i can click the play icon or if i want a specific album, i click on the artist folder and click the play icon for that album, and obviously if i want a specific track i just click on the album and find the track

as far as im aware there is no option to edit play lists. you have to edit them like you would normally with iTunes. same applies with USB/SD once there in the car you cant move files around

as for the gapless and track change time i think it depends greatly on the media your playing off. if i've got it running off my ipod which has got 60gb of music on it, the track change can be quite slow but if im running off the USB or SD option the track change is instant, think its just a case of the speed of the media source

im pretty certain it will keep the volume tags, i have them on some of my albums and i've not noticed them missing yet, i'll check for you though

So, let me get this clear:

iPod slower but navigation through tags. No playlists generation from the car. Control through the touchscreen (I assume next track/previous track through wheel controls).

SD, are SDHC supported?

Gapless, it's eithere there or it's not. Is the transition in a gapless album totally seamless? Think Dark Side of the Moon, Disco mixes, Live concerts, progressive rock albums. I'm interested in this because it came relatively late to the iPod world and I'm used to having it since 2004 with Rio Karma. Going backwards 5 years later would really suck.

Regarding the volume tags, I'll wait your check and, again, an enormous thank you for all this information. I have to say that I am always surprised by the lack of info on digital playback capabilities in modern cars. Portable music is light years ahead in flexibility and functionality. And thinking at the costs involved (thousands for cars, hundreds for portable solutions) it's really unbelievable (for me at least).

yes thats correct, as well as the next track you can also jog through the track by holding it down and you've got volume control too

SDHC is supported but i havent tried it my self yet

as for the gapless, depends on the media your playing off but even of fast things theres still sometimes a little pause

yes no problem. I have music coming off my iPod, USB Devices, SD Cards and MP3 CD's the latter 3 are all identical to use, i'll get you some photos tomorrow, anything in particular other than the music selection menus?

anything in particular other than the music selection menus?
Well... everything that you've come to use frequently. Not being familiar with the menus I'm not sure about what to ask for. :)

Also, is there anywhere on the net a PDF of the manual, to have a look?

yes no problem. I have music coming off my iPod, USB Devices, SD Cards and MP3 CD's the latter 3 are all identical to use, i'll get you some photos tomorrow, anything in particular other than the music selection menus?

Any chance you could do some fitting instructions, plus where did you get the MDI interface from was it a main dealer ?

Well... everything that you've come to use frequently. Not being familiar with the menus I'm not sure about what to ask for. :)

Also, is there anywhere on the net a PDF of the manual, to have a look?

Link to Bolero manual:

http://ws.skoda-auto.com/download/4all/Documentation_ENG/Bolero_A5fl.pdf

Steve

have a look at this folder gorman, was a bit of rush job so i'll make a proper post with a description this evening if you require it, Index of /rcd510

matt; I installed mine in a passat but the installation is pretty similar. if you have a look at vRS stu's guide for installing an MFD2 the bolero installation is the same and i can talk you throught the MDI installation no problem. Its pretty simple, just swapping pins about for power, canbus and audio into the MDI loom which then plugs into the quadlock connect

I got mine off Hayseldens VW/Skoda Doncasters ebay page, i'll try and find you a link later if you like?

Thank you so much.

You mention SDHC being supported, but I see that in the manual they're specifically excluded.

I wonder if others could chime in regarding performance/speed with big SDHC, I'd be thinking about something like this: Sandisk SCHEDA MEMORIA SDHC ULTRA II 32 GB prezzi vendite offerte Sandisk SCHEDA MEMORIA SDHC II 32 GB prezzo

With 32GB I'm sure I could survive :D

Also, I have an Audience with the Sound System option. Would the Sound System be able to work with the Bolero/Columbus?

Yup, sorry. I searched and I found confirmation up till 32GB (which is logical, it either supports the SDHC standard or it doesn't).

Now all I'm missing is info on how fast is navigating with a big hard disk iPod and how fast is with a 32GB SD Card (if somebody had a simple camera to do some YouTubing... that would be awesome and probably useful for many).

And, if going iPod means getting the gapless playback.

well drove from sheffield to falmouth today and listening to daft punk - discovery off an SD card i can confirm gapless works, i'll try the same album off my ipod

to be fair im using standard sd cards that aren't quick cards and the navigation is pretty fast