How much console bush movement?

KIDD

Hi guys

The fabia is going back to the dealer next week as there is a clunk coming from the drivers side when you have the steering turned and the ground is uneven or bumpy. We have the console bushes replaced on the last fabia we had so I know where they are and what to look for.

As this car is supposed to have had a 'skoda check' 2 weeks ago when we bought it I am wondering whether it could be the console bushes? I have turned the steering so I can see them and if I push at the alloy I can see quite alot of movement in the bush (almost so it touches the outer case that hold the bush) on the drivers side but not as much on the passenger side.

Is it worth me mentioning that it might be them or should I just let them draw their own conclusions? I don't want to appear to be a 'know it all'.

Mileage is 25k and the car is a 56 plate.

Also, if it is the bushes, what will they be replaced with? and is it worth me asking if they can use the cupra bushes? Again I don't want to get a bad name for myself at the dealer by asking for stuff like that.

Yeah, already seen that. It only shows extreme stress and not normal driving conditions... but even when I wobble the car stationery I get more movement than that standard bush in that vid.

From what you describe there is far too much movement in the bushes. They are designed to allow slight forward and aft movement under acceleration and braking, but sideway movement should be minimal. The dealer should also check the ARB bushes and drop links.

As for fitting Cupra bushes, I know my dealer said if I supplied the parts they would fit them, even on a warranty claim, although I would not get the money back for the parts (they are not expensive).

Check your droplinks, they connect the front anti roll bar to the strut.

I would say if you can on keeping the car a few years its worth having the Cupra bushes done anyway at some point.

I had mine done about 3 weeks ago, and had powerflex items put in at the front. Cost me £74 labour and I supplied the parts. Car drives a lot nicer now. My car had done 43k and they said the bushes weren't too bad but looking a bit worn.

I'd think that the only time that you would get these TCA bushes replaced under warranty would be if they were damaged - and that is easy to check for when the car is on ramps. The two webs/ribs on each bush should not have any tearing on them at all. If you have a damaged TCA bush, then as said I'd try to get them to replace both with Cupra ones, but I'd aways thought that dealers would only fit parts supplied for that car and supplied by them - which is only fair to all parties. But you might get lucky. As said already, even if your TCA rear voided bushes are not fit for purpose but still roughly as supplied as new, then I'd think that you will find this clunking will be due to worn drop links.

Got the car back from Simpsons skoda (I have yet to test drive it) but they have replaced an Anti roll bar bush. Fingers crossed it will be that.

• 1 month later...

It may have been a few things. Its had a new arb bush, two new console bushes and its going in for a steering arm...