MX 5 Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Royston

I gave the MX 5 a wash today and was disturbed to find corrosion, or the start of corrosion on all four alloy wheels.

The car was first registered in May 2007, so still under warranty, but I was just wondering how hard it is to claim for something like this? Anyone else dealt with Mazda specifically? I understand Mazda wheels are prone to this type of damage.

I always use non acidic cleaner on the wheels, and seal them with wax after cleaning, so neglect is out of the window.

24022009045.jpg

24022009046.jpg

when i worked on the Mazdas , photos had to be taken of the affected rims, then sent to Mazda by email , then they would make a decision on whether they would pay or not

in my experience they were pretty good , we changed quite a few sets on Mazda6 and iirc at least one set on an RX8

so you should have a good chance of getting them changed , the only thing that may go against a claim is if they is kerbing

Val's right. The wheels on all models are renowned for corroding but Mazda have been good at replacing them. The dealer normally wants to take some photos and send them off to Mazda UK to authorise the claim.

I'll be claiming for mine sometime beofre the warranty runs out in July.

EDIT: Ric has beaten me to it but it happens to the 3 a lot too.

3 independent sources, same answer. I think that's case closed.

Although when a friend had his RX8 wheels changed, the mazda dealer damaged the rim of his quite new, not cheap, 18" tyre. He suffered a "slow puncture", couldn't find it and took it back to them 3 times to sort and they said there was no problem so not their fault.

Eventually a proper tyre place found the problem, showed him the damage which was obviously done during the original fitting and had to fit a new tyre. The mazda dealer didn't want to know.

Borders in Carlisle for you :rolleyes:

Go to www.mx-5.com click on the mk3 forum you'll see it's a common problem and dealer responses. My Mk3 is an 07 I have one kerbed wheel that I hope will corrode elsewhere on it from the kerbing so I can claim on warranty for a new un.

Yep I'd second the abve - it's been a common problem on the Mk3 MX5 and the RX7 but Mazda have been replacing them under warranty so you should be OK. Just inform the dealer and let them fire some photos off to Mazda UK.

Also check carefully for corrosion on the lip at the back of ths sill in the rear wheel arch. There are quite a few with this problem at 2 years old. Our 2004 MK2.5 had fairly severe rust for a newish car, bad enough to get rid earlier this year.

Also check carefully for corrosion on the lip at the back of ths sill in the rear wheel arch. There are quite a few with this problem at 2 years old. Our 2004 MK2.5 had fairly severe rust for a newish car, bad enough to get rid earlier this year.

This generally only affects the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk2.5 cars and not the Mk3 the OP has.

However, generally this rust in front of the wheelarch is not life threatening so no need to get rid of the car as it's a relatively cheap fix.

It happens from the inside out in an area where three layers of bodywork overlap, trapping moisture, and affects the outer non-structural layer. The solution is to cut ot the offending part and weld back in a new plate at a cost of about £125 per side including painting etc.

I've had the drivers side of mine done and now need the passenger side done but the car is 14 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's all worked out well. Took the car in last week for the photos and the service manager ordered a new set of alloys that day, so must have been confident that the claim would be honoured!:D

I returned the car today to have a shiney new set of alloys fitted free gratis.:thumbup:

It's turned out well as I had badly kerbed one of the wheels at the front. I'll be keeping an eye on them though, as the car's warranty runs out in May 2010, so no backup after that.

I did notice another warranty claim lying on the service desk for a bloke who'd had his wheels changed last year, and the new ones had started pitting again!:thumbdwn:

NC MX-5 owners - check your wheels!

Once an alloy wheel is kerbed it no longer has any warranty on it.

I know this is the case for Mazda and indeed Skoda.

Even better deal then! :D

The customer service at my local dealership has been excellent over the past couple of years though. - GK Mazda Sheffield.

Neighbors MX5 had new alloys 18 months ago. New ones have gone the same way. Lacquer pitting and lifting. Looks like it's due to brake dust eating into the lacquer, and not helped by the sharp edge at the rear of each spoke.

1/ Result :thumbup:

2/ You'll have swapped for summat else by then anyway :rolleyes:

Cheers Val. You're not wrong! I nearly did a deal on a VW Scirocco last month,:rolleyes:

Just waiting to see what this new 3 MPS will be like at the end of the year.

Neighbors MX5 had new alloys 18 months ago. New ones have gone the same way. Lacquer pitting and lifting. Looks like it's due to brake dust eating into the lacquer, and not helped by the sharp edge at the rear of each spoke.

and probably also the salt this country uses on the roads in winter

It's turned out well as I had badly kerbed one of the wheels at the front. I'll be keeping an eye on them though, as the car's warranty runs out in May 2010, so no backup after that.

Will have to keep a close eye on the alloys then, still if that's the only thing that goes wrong...... :cool: Whilst at the stealers , Roy, they mentioned an extra 2 years warranty that could be purchased at any time before 3 yrs were up, think it was about £500 but was identical to new car warranty and included the full RAC European b/down cover. Worth considering??

Andrew

Will have to keep a close eye on the alloys then, still if that's the only thing that goes wrong...... :cool: Whilst at the stealers , Roy, they mentioned an extra 2 years warranty that could be purchased at any time before 3 yrs were up, think it was about £500 but was identical to new car warranty and included the full RAC European b/down cover. Worth considering??

Andrew

Yeah, I saw an ad for that in the dealers meself. If you're keeping the car for longer than 3 years then I'd say definitely worth considering. I'd check carefully what is and isn't covered though as some of these extended warranties are just snake oil.

My experience of Mazda reliability is that they don't go wrong (touch wood) so maybe a waste of money in that respect. What is and isn't covered under the warranty can often be decided by the dealership IMO so it also depends how flexible and amenable your dealer is.

I'd also say that there is a strong possibility of the wheels going wrong again, so $500 seems a good deal for a new set of alloys. It's either that or take your chances and put the money towards a set of aftermarket alloys.

Andrew

Andy,

you will not have the Mazda by the time the warranty runs out......

You will be looking at a Porker :)