1.8T Tapping!!!

Hello, its not an Octavia, its a Golf 1.8T but you guys share the same engine??

Anyway, I took a friend to pick one up tonight, drove it home 70miles or so. Quite a fast drive to be honest but nothing stupid. When we pulled up I noticed his car was tapping pretty loudly on idle, this dissapears when you rev it up over 1500rpm but if you drop below it comes back again. I had a listen under the bonnet and it does seem the noise is coming from the head/rocker cover area.

I have searched google and have read many posts stating that these engines do make tapping noises from time to time but having heard his previous 1.8T running, which sounded sweet as, i'm a bit concerned.

It seems pretty slow aswell, his previous one although remapped used to pull away from my standard Fabia VRS pretty sharpish, this one cant keep up at all!

Any ideas guys?

To be honest I think he has bought a bag of ****e but don't have the heart to tell him!

Check the oil :)

Check the cam cover gasket and the back of the engine as if this is leaking it will be losing oil down the back of the block and the rattling will be more audible.

They do make a loud ticking noise from the fuel injectors at the front of the cam cover and also from the charcoal canister near the front left of the engine bay.

If the oil is really manky it might be worth having it flushed and drained at a garage then having the sump taken off, the oil strainer cleaned and then put back together. The 1.8T doesn't respond well to manky or the wrong oil IIRC.

Probably a bit OTT, drain when warm & as Ken said repeat in 1000 miles. If the oils been allowed to get in that state it shows servicing has been minimal so check everything else, if funds allow book it in with a good independant for a proper service but ask for an assesment first. If the news is bad change the oil & flog it.

If the oil is really manky it might be worth having it flushed and drained at a garage then having the sump taken off, the oil strainer cleaned and then put back together. The 1.8T doesn't respond well to manky or the wrong oil IIRC.

Agreed Oil Strainer is more then likley blocked