mystery clutch destruction

Our 2001 Fabia 1.4 had a new sachs clutch about 12 months ago, & has done average miles since. Yesterday, the clutch pedal went to the floor with a jolt & we couldn't get any gears. It went back to the garage who fitted the clutch in the first place (on the back of a tow truck) who suspected a burst seal on the clutch slave cylinder, so a gearbox out & new clutch again job. But on inspection the friction material which is riveted on was shredded to pieces for about 2/3 of the way round. The only clue is about 3 weeks ago the pedal went to the floor but I just pulled it back up with my foot & it was OK since. Garage replaced the clutch under warranty, but say there is no obvious fault or reason for the failure. Any ideas what could have caused this? Foreign object would be my suspicion, but garage say nothing found, no witness marks on flywheel, etc. They also do not believe the clutch plate was faulty.

haha, thats nothing. You should have seen the damage it did to the flywheel.

FIRE! made a nice smell of fire too :D

Suppose thats what you get for doubling the power and torque of a car and leaving the standard clutch in :rofl:

...now where that post about the lad from northern ireland with 270bhp with standard clutch and intercooler.......

Unless there are signs of overheating damage, this sounds like a general clutch failure. Very rare unless the car is used for 'enthusiastic' launches.

I doubt it, lady driver! I think the clutch plate just failed, period. Garage are going to send it back to sachs, but reckon they'll refute any claim. TBH, it is just as well the garage (Nationwide) give a 2 yr warranty on clutches as standard, or they could have just turned round & argued wear & tear. As it stands, they fitted a new one completely free of charge, so fair enough. Wonder if a Skoda dealer would have done the same...

I doubt it, lady driver! I think the clutch plate just failed, period. Garage are going to send it back to sachs, but reckon they'll refute any claim. TBH, it is just as well the garage (Nationwide) give a 2 yr warranty on clutches as standard, or they could have just turned round & argued wear & tear. As it stands, they fitted a new one completely free of charge, so fair enough. Wonder if a Skoda dealer would have done the same...

It's easier getting blood out of a stone, than getting a Skoda dealer to replace a clutch under warranty. Glad it didn't cost you for the 2nd clutch.