car veers to right when accelerating

My Laurin & Klement veers to the right when accelerating and to the left when decelerating- could this be a steering geometry problem or is it the wheel alignment (I understand it's all 4 wheels that have to be aligned ) The front tyres are new( and ballanced) and all tyres are the correct pressure.

Has it always done it?

I know this might sound weird but some FWD turbo cars suffer from torque steer when acclerating and pull to the right (such as the Maestro/Montego turbo of past years :rofl:) having said that mine doesn,t do it so could be worth checking geometry :thumbup:

It could be a tyre problem. Try swapping the front wheels over and see if it makes a difference. I had a similar problem with a Citroen a few years ago and the problem moved to the other side when I swapped the tyres. I couldn't convince the tyre dealer there was a problem because the tyre looked OK, all he did was move the wheel to the back :-(.

D

My Laurin & Klement veers to the right when accelerating and to the left when decelerating- could this be a steering geometry problem or is it the wheel alignment (I understand it's all 4 wheels that have to be aligned ) The front tyres are new( and ballanced) and all tyres are the correct pressure.

try steering slightly to the left to compensate :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist. If it were me, I'd get it on a 4 wheel alignment rig....

try steering slightly to the left to compensate :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist. If it were me, I'd get it on a 4 wheel alignment rig....

Thanks scoobynut - probably the cheapest way to go first.

• 2 months later...

i have the same issue car will suddenly veer to one side when accelerating and same again decellerating.

its not apparant all the time , its a sudden occurance of a torque steer effect .. that will considerable cause the body to want to goto the left whether gentle or hard acceleraion is applied. Particulary around 40-50mph. Its like a feeling the one wheel puts down more traction and pulls the car over..

still continues after

front tyres swapped .

Wishbone - Bushes done.

tracking rods replaced

4 tracking/alignment

what else am i looking at that will cause this ..

It's not something to do with the road surface is it - if it's intermittent it could be crud or whitelines.

If it's intermittent, I'd be more suspicious of something other than the car.

Could be the nut behind the wheel of course :rolleyes:

D