Coolant Dripping/Leaking

Over the last few days, I've noticed a puddle of 'water' under my car. I checked the coolant tank and it is almost empty. I had a look yesterday and couldnt seem to find the source of the leak. I can see the coolant dripping from the back of the engine - It seems to be running down the back of the engine and dripping down finally running off where the gearbox and engine block meet. The dogbone mount is wet. However if I try and trace up I cant find the source, access is a problem.I have noticed some coolant sitting on top of the gearbox. Above that is a plastic thermo unit on the right of the engine which seems dry).

I have checked some posts on this but cant seem to find much. My car does not have air-con. I am thinking water pump but only if it possible for the coolant to dribble down across the engine. Radiator is fine.

This morning I bought some 'Radiator Stop Leak' sealant - but I am hesitant to use it in case it gunks the system up (I was assured by my local mechanic it wouldnt). I would prefer to locate the problem than this temporary fix.

I am going to have another look later. Thoughts welcome! Cheers.

Had the very same problem just before xmas..In my case,it was just one of the hoses that run behind the engine. There was a small split in the hose,and,if the car was switched off,,you might not see where it was coming from.But,When you start it,the pressure forced it out at a faster rate..

Get that seen to first,as I thought it was the water pump on mine also,but,gladly,it wasn't.

Let me know how you get on....

water pumps at the cambelt side of the engine

would have thought it would be a burst pipe or leaking connection.

easier to find when engine is hot and water temp is high as previously stated.

dont forget to check your heater matrix pipes that go into the bulkhead.

take out your battery box for better access (2 min job) and your engine cover

dont put nowt in radiator except antifreeze radweld only masks the problem and causes more down the line

I just noticed i have the same problem. i saw water dripping from the bottom of the plastic piece that holds the temp sensor just moments after replacing it with the new revision one.

Mine start leaking recently, temp sensor was changed 6 months ago. replaced the rubber washer and the plastic U clip that holds the sensor in and its been fine since.

Spent a bit of time locating the leak and found it coming from the plastic piece at the end of the head which holds the temperature sensor. I have removed it and found that the o-ring had split. Have a look at the attached pic - interesting what has happened here - the inner rim has been damaged and I have found a piece of the rim in the engine head - not sure where the rest of it is - I assume it has been washed further in to the system! Any ideas how this wear can happen if it is just coolant flowing through - heating/cooling causing to crack?

Also I am concerned now that some coolant has leaked down into the clutch bell housing. I pulled the rubber stopper for viewing timng marks and noticed some coolant sitting on the flywheel. Is it possible for coolant to make the clutch slip or will it burn off after a good run? I havent driven the car much and certainly not up to full temperature but I think it might be slipping slightly although that could be my driving style - have been driving the girlfriends car all week with a grabby clutch :D:thumbup: Cheers.

27766.attach