Should I change my Fabia vRS for a Mini Cooper D?

NeilT

Well, I did it and now have a shiny Dooper to park outside the wine bar. Only trouble is they don't have wine bars where I live, so instead I have to chuck it around the windy roads over the North Lancashire fells, and for that it's absolutely brilliant. In general it's a lot more planted and stable than the VRS, with far better steering, especially with the Sport button on, and better braking. On a windy motorway doesn't get blown around at all. In a straight line I do miss the shove of the VRS: I can't do the same overtaking I used to. The Mini has a much broader spread of torque: It'll pull well from about 1100rpm, so if you want economy you can have it. On a 55 mile motorway trip, if I stick below 70mph, I easily get over 70mpg (on the OBC) and I just drive it for fun it averages around 60, so I reckon it's 10mpg better than the VRS. I've done 12k now and so far it's been faultless. Build quality seems first rate, no rattles or anything. Better hi-fi. Smarter interior: lots of chrome and colour switchable ambient lighting rather than grey plastic. Full electronic stability control, side airbags, curtain airbags, better brakes. Just feels quite a bit posher, and girls love it. They REALLY love it.

Tiny boot, no legroom in the back which even the kids complain about. Not so Q-car. Everyone says it's a girls car.

To sum up, I think for me the Mini wins so far in most areas. It just lacks a bit of acceleration, but that's more than made up for by the handing and grip. I hear they're bringing out a John Cooper Works diesel next year, either with the same 1.6 retuned to 170hp, or with the engine out of the 120d: that should have plenty of shove!

BTW I got £3500 part-ex for the VRS, which was a 53 plate in silver with 130,000 on the clock. I thought that was pretty good, as it was higher than Glasses value. If there had been a new Fabis VRs diesel I probably would've got that, but as there wasn't Skoda lost an easy sale.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. I would personally still stick with a vRS.. having test driven a vRS and a mates petrol cooper it was the vRS that won me over instantly, and now I own a Fabia 1.4, which feels like its kept a far bit from its more powerful brother, which is good in my book. Also doubles up as my GF's first car and she is loving it, just need to let her settle down and start pushing it :)

With regards to image it is still a very style driven car, and I can say my mate who has the cooper has now moved to a RX8 in flame red with the full Mazda Speed kit, which looks nice, but once again a style thing.. but good move for him none the less as he said he was enjoying driving more and the cooper didn't do it for him anymore so in came the RX8..

At the end of the day its horses for courses, so its whatever does it for the driver, either way the MINI are still cars to be respected in the right hands :)

Great thread though!

There is a very simple answer to this question & it is NO .

I sold mine 18 months ago, and am really missing it, this is the only car that iwould consider buying 2nd hand ( in fact i am giving it very serious consideration )

Here are my reasons :-

Its a quick car

It is very economical for its size

it has a half decent sized boot

it will carry 4 adults quite comfortably for a 300 mile trip

It has really good options for remaps etc

it surprises everyone who gets in it for its build quality and performance.

I take it youre talking about a Bini & not a proper Mini.