First 'Service/ Oil Change'

My Fabia 1.4 TDi 'Sport' will soon need its first oil change / check over as its approaching 10,000 miles ( approx 3 weeks time).

The supplying dealer (Streets of Bristol) ceased trading not long after I got the car, although there are several dealers within a 20 mile radius, I happen to work next door to a main VW dealer in Wiltshire, is there any reason why they cannot do this service?

Might be a few quid dearer but would be very convenient, by the way what is the going rate for this 'oil change' ? :confused:

I think it's worth ringing round two or three dealers for a price. I was quoted £175 for a 10000 service from the dealer I purchased the car from, but £105 from a Skoda approved garage (ex Skoda dealer) ten miles away.

Also, specify you only want the basic service ie oil and filter change. You will find some garages add their own bits on to the service and charge you. The dealer that quoted £175 told me that they check fluid levels and "look over " the car- not necessary at 10000 and something most people are able to do anyway.

I feel better seeing some of these quotes. My sister in law has just had her 4 year old 17,000 miles Susy Alto serviced = £75, I asked if this was the 'B' or twin spanner service (major one), no it was not it is the first ever service, she thought the 3 year warranty meant you did not have to do anything to it.

Outcome as some suggest that there is surely far less maintenance required than the car makers try to get from the motorist?

Also, specify you only want the basic service ie oil and filter change. You will find some garages add their own bits on to the service and charge you. The dealer that quoted £175 told me that they check fluid levels and "look over " the car- not necessary at 10000 and something most people are able to do anyway.

Think carefully about this one. By only doing an "oil service", you are, strictly speaking, not maintaing a full service history. It can be used by dealers and manufacturers as a get out clause under warranty.

My 1.4Tdi was serviced from my supplying dealer in Jan for £92.95, all they did was an oil and filter change and replaced the sump plug washer. I thought that was bloomin expensive, so it might be worth ringing around as any workshop who is vat registered can stamp the book and that covers you for the warranty.

They also forgot to put my engine cover back on, my engine all looks naked, going over there to get it put back on later today.

It's essential to get quotes from different dealers. A relative of mine was recently quoted close to £250 for her 12 month service on her petrol Fabia (having actually done far less than 10k). Fortunately for her she'd opted for a fixed monthly charge servicing deal when she bought the car which comes to an annual fee of about £130. I can't help wondering if her local dealer was trying to take advantage of what they perhaps saw as a naive older lady. I do hope they weren't.

Think carefully about this one. By only doing an "oil service", you are, strictly speaking, not maintaing a full service history. It can be used by dealers and manufacturers as a get out clause under warranty.

According to the service book for my Fabia (1.9 diesel), all that is required at 10000 miles is an oil and filter change, checking the thickness of the brake pads and resetting the service interval display. A Skoda approved garage did this and stamped the service book so I'm happy.

Those of you looking at service costs may want to have a read of this thread:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-ii/new-fabia-1-4-tdi-first-service/116108/

There was a lot of discussion around what the service should involve and how much it should cost. I paid significantly more for the first 10k service (after about 5 months!) than it should have been and did eventually get a partial refund from the dealer.

I think over the years we have got use to being shafted by dealers so when we "only" get charged £90-100 for an oil change we are happy because it puts a stamp in the book.

I can see servicing prices going up to help cover the costs on lower car sales.

I think over the years we have got use to being shafted by dealers so when we "only" get charged £90-100 for an oil change we are happy because it puts a stamp in the book.

I can see servicing prices going up to help cover the costs on lower car sales.

Have a look at some of the other servicing threads currently running, the concensus is that the dealer servicing prices have dropped.

• 1 month later...
I rang two local dealers concerning its 1st service for a 1.4 TDI 80 one quoted £139 the other £86. Why the big variation? Needless to say I booked it in at £86.

You need to read the threads, it's all explained and if your only doing one service a year you need the more expensive service as it's part of the conditions of your warranty.

• 2 weeks later...