Felicia 1.6 won't start

This is my first message to forum and I'm trying to write as good english as I can. So, my problem is: my felicia 1.6 won't start up, the problem is pretty much like Captain Sisko had in his favorit (http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/favorit-1-3-turning-but-not-firing/142235/). I have had this skoda five years allready and I haven't any electrical problem before. It all started when washed my car a few days ago. It started up nicely after the wash but it died after few seconds. Next day it started up again well and I tought everything was okay but today it died again after driving a few hundred meters.

I have checked all cables which came out from ECU box, I changed rotor arm and distributor cab, but I haven't got any kind of spark from plug. I measured the voltage coming out from the coil and I don't know was the voltage high enough but I got some readings. Now I really don't know where is the problem, some sensor? something else?

I also red this thread http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/felicia-1-6-glxi-wont-start/100970/ but I have got some redings out from coil so it can't be dead or could it be..

also are you sure it is the right cap and rotor arm? there are a few different types on the aee engine (bosch, valeo, magnetti, etc) the bosch ones are normally black, and the magnetti/valeo ones are normally orange..

it might be worth popping the plate out of the back of the dizzy and spraying in some water disperser like wd40 or switch cleaner too

I haven't found any solution to this problem.. yet. If someone has a similar car, could you check on your car which is the correct order of the spark plug wires in the distributor cap? I think I have the right order but I wan't to be sure on that.

I have trying to dry the engine room and components but it didn't help. After a few calls to the car electricians, I now know that the problem is usually in the hall sensor, as daverapid said, or it could be the ignition coil. Usually there hasn't been any problems with the ECU unit.. I also heard that it's possible to check the "trouble" codes with computer so that could really help, if the code tells for example which sensor is out..

• 12 years later...

Hi, I've just had a similar problem.

It wouldn't start, so I cleaned the points, continued with my day and ordered a new cap and arm. Cap arrived, problem was solved for a bit until it wasn't. New rotor arm has just arrived. The car wouldn't start before I fitted it and now it won't afterwards so I feel it may be hall sensor or coil.

How do I know which? Can I know?

Is it just coincidence that whenever I got stranded, it only ran after I tried to clean the points?

Have you checked the points gap hasn't closed up - you get spark to each plug?

You have to be careful with fitting new modern made ignition parts as some can be crap.

What did you clean the points with, what gap set?

Could be hall sensor or its wiring if damaged particularly, unlikely to be coil usually as they last decades, but they can go wrong or perhaps contribute to other elements to cause an issue.

More info is needed, photos or perhaps a video, I always start at the battery posts, a low battery or poor electrical connections will hinder and perhaps be enough to prevent starting or as on top of other issue(s) to prevent starting.

Best to start at the beginning with the basics as your recent actions may or may not be related - but if new parts are fitted don't dismiss them just because they are new as they sometimes can be contributing to or sometimes even the cause of the problem(s).

I don't know the details of your Fun only remember them when they were first sold.

• Like 1