Help finding gearbox code - without the car!!!

Hi everyone,

As some of you will know, our 2001 Fabia recently went to the big scrapheap in the sky. However, I wish I'd read the chassis sticker near to the spare wheel before it went...!

I have the gearbox from the car and I need to find out the three-letter gearbox code. I thought that maybe this would be stamped on the box itself, but all I can see are the following letters:

AZ 91 HP

GX2 2

ES

02T 301 103H

Can anyone please help me deciper these? Is one of them the gearbox code, or might I find it somewhere else? I've also looked in the front of the service booklet but sadly this is not filled in...

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Alatair

Thanks both.

Karaibrahim, I have sent you a PM, though I don't know what ETKA is :)

Any way to double-check against the codes stamped on the box? Just in case it has been changed in the past without my knowledge? Presumably it would still be the same type, but it would be great to double-check...!

Superb! Many thanks.

Any clues how I can validate this against the actual box from the car?

I'd reckon that you are as close to knowing this as you would have been if you still had the car and its "build sticker" - if you need to know this so that you can sell this box on, then I'd reckon that if you are wrong when quoting the box type, then you have already done as much as most people could do, and have made an honest mistake. I though that VAG used a couple of different gearbox casing alloys and that that info could be gleaned from the box casing and that that would tighten down which box you had (where or when there was an option of two for that engine and car).

Thanks both... I think I am probably as close as I can be to knowing the gearbox type (and yes, it's so I can sell it with as much info as possible!) Really appreciate the advice.

Helpful Forum, this! :)