Poll for instrument panel fault.

Have you suffered this fault with the gauges on the Skoda octavia mark one.  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Have you suffered this fault with the gauges on the Skoda octavia mark one.

Not a dig or anything but its spelt

Warranty

not

warrantee.

Just might look a bit more professional if its spelt correctly. Anyway, good luck with getting this sorted. :thumbup:

'Its' is a contraction of 'it is' and therefore needs an apostrophe. So needs to be spelt 'it's'.

Yeah, I know it could be a typo but I'm an English teacher by profession. Sorry.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Its' is a contraction of 'it is' and therefore needs an apostrophe. So needs to be spelt 'it's'.

Yeah, I know it could be a typo but I'm an English teacher by profession. Sorry.

Hi lumac999,

Is that a single or double space after the full stop between profession and sorry? It's not an English lesson, it's a forum. Spelling and grammar are excused here I think, people just need to get a point across without worrying about pee takers, if you know what I mean. lol.

voting no on this subject btw, 53 plate Octavia 1.9 Tdi Laurin & Klement

• 1 year later...

Hi, is there any further news on this?

I have a 1998 Octavia 2.0L with this problem.

Fuse out helped for a while but now it's almost constant. Needles definately get pushed down below zero. Warning lights work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

'01 VRS, fuel and temp gauges failed a few days ago. There's a bill in the history for the binnacle being replaced with a second-hand unit, so it looks like it's happened twice in my car...

Gonna try fuse 15 today :)

Edit: Just tried fuse 15, it had no effect whatsoever :(

Edited by THE_Liam

temp gauge can be caused by a CTS failure... pulling fuse 15 won't make any difference in case of CTS failure. search around, as there are a couple of threads covering this (including links to DIY guides)

EDIT: just noticed you wrote " fuel and temp gauges ". this can be a hint towards the famous IC failure

Edited by za_killer

temp gauge can be caused by a CTS failure... pulling fuse 15 won't make any difference in case of CTS failure. search around, as there are a couple of threads covering this (including links to DIY guides)

EDIT: just noticed you wrote " fuel and temp gauges ". this can be a hint towards the famous IC failure

It's definitely not the CTS mate, It got a new one on Friday along with a new stat because it wasn't warming up properly, as soon as it got the new sensor it was sitting at 90 degrees. I wish it was that simple!

I'm getting a quote from a company called clusterrepairsuk.co.uk. anyone used them?

It's definitely not the CTS mate, It got a new one on Friday along with a new stat because it wasn't warming up properly, as soon as it got the new sensor it was sitting at 90 degrees. I wish it was that simple!

I'm getting a quote from a company called clusterrepairsuk.co.uk. anyone used them?

why spend money when you can fix it yourself ? 30 min ~ 1h (if extra cautious/carefull) job if you know what you're doing: guide

why spend money when you can fix it yourself ? 30 min ~ 1h (if extra cautious/carefull) job if you know what you're doing: guide

I don't know how to solder mate, and I'm scared to break it. I'm fine with mechanical parts but anything electronic scares the bejeebus out of me :(

I fixed the wifes Octavia 1 last weekend. Took me about 1hr to pull the panel out, strip it down, resolder the voltage regulator and resistor bridge connections then rebuild it and put it back in the car.

She has done about 500 miles since and not one issue with the gauges now - previously they would drop on almost every trip unless fuse 15 was pulled.

I don't know how to solder mate, and I'm scared to break it. I'm fine with mechanical parts but anything electronic scares the bejeebus out of me :(

:D no prob mate, there are a few around who'll do it for around 80 ~ 200 (only heard of them). just pick your price range :D

Might be a daft question but will the fuel and temperature warning lights still work without the gauges? I'm guessing so because even though the gauge is at dead empty the light isn't on, and I know all the other warning lights still work, is it on a different circuit?

all is working on mine exept speedometer and the digital screens, kmh meters does not work nor the economy meter

and i cant get the needles off the spindles, are they glues on? how can i take them off without destroying the whole thing?

Ive not had this problem, early 2003 TDi Elegance with 100k miles. Dont aprox 6000 since owning it. Was used as a fleet car for the first 60k miles and i dont think it was looked after that great for those miles.

You need to twist the needles anticlockwise and pull outwards at the same time - mine would not budge at all by just trying to prise them off but a slight twist and pull and off they came.

Just make sure the stepper motor is at the start of its travel (you will feel the difference when turning the shaft before pushing the needles fully home when you rebuild it.

• 3 weeks later...