Playing HD-DVD on my PC...Not!

Philip26

I built a PC with the following specs:

Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H Motherboard

Intel E8400 3.0Ghz Processor

2Gb DDR2

LG GGC-H20L HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive

Samsung F1 640Gb HDD

The motherboard has Intel's latest G45 chipset/graphics which supports full HD decode and acceleration - plus has HDMI/HDCP output. The LG drive came with PowerDVD which supports HD-DVD playback in version 7 when you download the relevant patch.

I started by installing XP Home, Intel's lastest G45 drivers, PowerDVD and LG GGC-H20L firmware update to 1.05 and all up to date patches.

Attempting to run a HD-DVD the PowerDVD/Advisor software tells me that the chipset/graphics are incompatible - rechecking all patches I can confirm that I'm up to date.

So, I suspect that it's a OS problem - Install my copy of Vista64 and repeat the same process and voila! HD-DVD playback! After testing a few discs: The Matrix and King Kong I found that the LG drive would start "Hunting" when changing to the 2nd layer for the HD-DVD so I suspect I have a duff HD-DVD drive which I intend to send back.

My problem is I want it to work with XP because I will have to buy another copy of Vista so can anybody recommend:

- A player which supports HD-DVD playback under XP and is compatible with my G45 chipset.

- A way of getting PowerDVD to work...:o

Because the copy of Vista I am using is already is already running on THIS machine.

Updated DirectX but no change.

Checked on Cyberlinks website and there's a patch dated 03/03/2009 tried this but didn't work - If you read the information on these patches they give reference to Vista and Blu-Ray only and not XP and HD-DVD. (See patch 11/12/2008 and 30/09/2008)

I'm thinking that they are not updating the earlier versions (Their up to version 9) for XP support.

For playing HD-DVDs the onboard graphics of any motherboard will struggle to cope as they typically do not have any hardware accelleration to decode the HD stream fast enough.

You may need to purchase a decent graphics card that can handle HD material and ditch the onboard graphics. A budget Geforce 8300GS can cope, as thats what I have and it can be had for less than £20.

Also if you are using DVI connected monitor, it must support HDCP otherwise the disk will not play. It will however play fine using the bog standard VGA connection.

For playing HD-DVDs the onboard graphics of any motherboard will struggle to cope as they typically do not have any hardware accelleration to decode the HD stream fast enough.

You may need to purchase a decent graphics card that can handle HD material and ditch the onboard graphics. A budget Geforce 8300GS can cope, as thats what I have and it can be had for less than £20.

The G45 chipset plays back just fine (See reviews at Anandtech and other sites) about 8% CPU usage and no stutter UNDER Vista. But a cheap graphics card for Nvidia/ATI (Better HDMI audio pass-through capabilities) is an option - I'm just trying to keep power draw as low as possible i.e. less that 50Ws!

Also if you are using DVI connected monitor, it must support HDCP otherwise the disk will not play. It will however play fine using the bog standard VGA connection.

I'm plugged directly into my Sony 40W2000 through a HDMI plug which works okay when testing under Vista64.

Mannyo, have you got HD playback with Cyberlink under XP with a 8300GS working?

I'm trying to find a software/hardware combination which WORKS under XP.

Thanks

XP will not play HD back because it dosn't have the media centre capabilaties of Vista. But I am sure there will be a way.

I have never tried to get XP to play HD so there might be a way. But I am sure it is due to the multimedia functions in vista. its one of the reasons why people streem from XP MC2005 to there XBOX.

As for Vista.... you can get another licence key from MS cheeply if you already have one. But for the one version you have, you will get two activations over the Internet before you will need to call MS, providing it is a Retail key and not an OEM.

XP will not play HD back because it dosn't have the media centre capabilaties of Vista. But I am sure there will be a way.

I have never tried to get XP to play HD so there might be a way. But I am sure it is due to the multimedia functions in vista. its one of the reasons why people streem from XP MC2005 to there XBOX.

As for Vista.... you can get another licence key from MS cheeply if you already have one. But for the one version you have, you will get two activations over the Internet before you will need to call MS, providing it is a Retail key and not an OEM.

It can. Have played BlueRay films on an XP box output through HDMI on an ATI card.

Thanks Phil. It's the OEM version of Vista64 so possibly doesn't apply and I'm trying to avoid having to by another OS. For you info. XP comes with MCE but it isn't installed by default but it is on the install DVD.

big_dave what software did you use for playback?

Ok. So PowerDVD will work with Blu-Ray under XP - Then I assume HD-DVDs as well.

Now I need to get it to work with my G45 chipset...:confused:

IIRC, there was a horrible (intentional) limitation with PowerDVD that means it detected which drive you had plugged in (HD-DVD or BD) and installed the appropriate software. It was never possible to have both formats supported at the same time, even if you had both an HD-DVD and BluRay drive installed :thumbdwn:

As HD-DVD is no longer being developped, I believe the latest versions of PDVD only provide BluRay support.

Correct, PDVD V9 only provides blu-ray support. However the last version of PDVD Ultra V7 supported both formats at the same time. This is the version thats bundled with the current combined HD-DVD Rom, Blu-Ray Read only, DVDRW, CDRW drive recently launched by LG.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0286030330.1239218942@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadegljgkjdjcflgceggdhhmdfhk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=786734&category_oid=-24858

I have just tried WinDVD v9 with no joy...

So I'm going to get a copy of Vista32 to get the HDCP support for my G45 chipset/HD-DVD support.

And RMA my duff LG drive.

Any more input appreciated and if anybody has seen Vista32 Premium for less than £84 (from a reputable dealer) let me know.