sound deadening and the standard stereo

I thought the Fabia was rated highly for its refinement but there's still plenty of noise, so I'm thinking of sound deadening it with Dynamat, Brown Bread, etc. which will also reduce speaker vibration and help with 'keeping the sound in'.

Has anyone sound deadened their car?

Also, does the standard stereo (Symphony) has pre-outs so I can hook up an amp + sub.

I did my vRS, well, soundkiller did, and it was worth every penny as the car feels much more sedate. That said, that's a derv and the 1.2 isnt all that bad noise wise.

Tyre noise may still be a problem, but it will help loads.

When Ross did the Unit18 Fabia vRS Estate he sound proofed it and it makes a big difference in the driving pleasure :)

The 3 cylinder 1.2 isn't as loud as the diesel but the engine note is still a bit like an old motorbike engine - i love it!

I'm thinking of doing the doors, possibly the boot (but not sure how to hide or get rid of the sound deadening when i sell it) and the front wheel arches. I don't think i'll need to do the roof as there doesn't seem to be much noise from coming through the roof.

I guess it'll be a pain stripping out the carpet, seats, etc. plus i've never done it before so i'll probably risk someone at a car audio dealer to do it.

There are some pics in the thread on my old car - but from what I remember, the boot was done 'under the carpet'. Take out the spare, and you kinda roller the soundproofing in/on. The top of the wheel arches from the inside were done too. Then under the rear seat, plus matts were done, plus under bonnet, underneath the velt, basically in the 'spaces' kinda triangular in shape.

I had it fitted on the vRS, and Ross did the vRS estate U18 Edition, including the doors.

Highly recommended :thumbup:

Standard sterio does not have pre outs. You have 2 options either replace the radio or butcher a set of phono leads and tap them into the rear speakers but this option mite give u a little interferance.

Alternatively to butchering a pre-out from speaker outputs, you can also just buy an amp that takes high-level inputs, tap those into the rear speakers and drop the bass down on the HU, then adjust it up on the (sub) amp to get a good transition.

It really is not that bad in that way :)

Standard sterio does not have pre outs. You have 2 options either replace the radio or butcher a set of phono leads and tap them into the rear speakers but this option mite give u a little interferance.

The standard CD-player does. Its has front and rear pre-outs. I've used mine to power 2 amps.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/preamp.asp

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering if I should keep the standard head unit or get an aftr market one because the standard stereo doesn't sound too bad for OEM stuff compared to a lot of other car's standard stereos.'

Hay, I loved the sound of the little 3 cylinder engine I had as a Hire car. I sounded like a V6 when you revved it, much better than my Diseasel.

I'm sure I saw on here someone put thicker sound proofing around the engine cover to make it quieter. As mentioned above, different tyres may make a difference to noise levels.

The estate was soundproofed by Ross, and it is amazing how good it sounds for an OEM system now, it definitely makes it better, it can handle reasonable bass without rattle now.

A small sub would help, true, but for OEM of that age car it is not bad at all.

I did my vRS, well, soundkiller did, and it was worth every penny as the car feels much more sedate. That said, that's a derv and the 1.2 isnt all that bad noise wise.

Tyre noise may still be a problem, but it will help loads.

When Ross did the Unit18 Fabia vRS Estate he sound proofed it and it makes a big difference in the driving pleasure :)

How much did your soundproofing come to in the end? I looked at a guide a while back and it looked like a lot of work!

Cheers

has anyone noticed a difference in standard HU's between cars?

my Mrs' standard HU is a lot louder and bassier than mine. if i have mine at say vol 20 hers is the equivalent at vol 8, with the same eq settings.

any ideas?!

If you have 2 identical head units with the same rms wattage output and running different speakers the volume can be twice as loud on the speakers with 90db/watt than 87db/watt. It just depends on the sensitivity of the speakers. The more sensitive the louder it will be.

A 25watt rms output running 90db speakers gives the same volume as 50watts at 87db.

Also depends on how much sound deadening and tyres noise depending on make of tyres. Less road noise= hear the stereo more = need less volume.