Location, Location, Location

Gwilo

Now you get to play the role of Phil or Kirsty for real....

I need a place of my own for various reasons.

But I'm a bit clueless on where is good in/around the Manchester region, so looking to enlist the collective knowlege of, particularly, our Manchester-based Briskies....

Couple of things to consider before you all say "Alderley Edge" or something....

1. Budget. No more than 140-150K.

2. Two or three bedrooms - house preferred, as opposed to a flat.

3. Decent area - ie must accept racial mix. This is so important, it's unreal.

4. Must have a shower - i've seen too many places that just have a shower attachment on the bath....given my size, that's not exactly a practical solution......

5. Not something in need of refurbing.

Anything 11 miles and under from city centre considered. Further for the right distance.

just to give you some idea as to what i've been looking at so far in no order of preference, and I'd welcome viewpoints or alternative locations

1. Greenpark Rd, Manchester, M22

2. Tunsill Road, Brooklands, Greater Manchester M23

3. Wythenshawe Road, Brooklands, Manchester M23

4. Beech Avenue, Whitefield

5. Oxendale Drive,Middleton

So go on, find me somewhere to live!

Do you need a car for working in the city centre or can you travel in on the train?

Would you consider somewhere close to one of the park and ride style stations around Greater Manchester?

Since price is fixed, which is more important to you location or space?

Do you need a car for working in the city centre or can you travel in on the train?

Would you consider somewhere close to one of the park and ride style stations around Greater Manchester?

Since price is fixed, which is more important to you location or space?

Work - salford Uni. I'm not violently opposed to using train/tram, but as i'd have to run a car anywhere for evenings and weekends, just seems a bit daft not to use it for the commute.

I would consider anywhere that isn't a chav-magnet.

So i guess location is more important than space (rampant middle-class, mixed race individual with an even more mixed-race relationships:rolleyes:)

Doesn't have to be biggest pad on earth, but the two bedrooms is a must.

What are you thinking?

I only know South Manchester and you'll probably turn your nose up at anywhere you can buy at that price. Where I am, a racial mix would certainly be accepted, not exactly middle class though.

I'm looking to move too but when I compare my budget to where I think I could live, it doesn't add up. I will be able to get a lot more for my money by renting so that's the plan.

perhaps middle class is the wrong term.....but i don't "fit" in a council estate (been there, never relaxed)

I know the stuff I'm looking at is North manchester, but a colleague here leaves in Chorlton (seems a bit out of budget for something that matches what I'm looking for) and thinks south manchester is a much better area. So I'm open to suggestions.

"racial mix" should be understood, in my context, as half black(guyanese) origins with both white european and chinese/malay friends. Everyone who visits would need to feel comfortable.

Edited by Gwilo
re-worded to avoid misunderstanding.

Have a look around M21 Chorlton-***-Hardy (Chorlton).

This has been a up and coming area as it's the overspill from Didsbury.If you look around Darley Ave area you should find some ex council houses in your budget but the further into the centre you go the more £££'s you will have to pay.

You will get a 3 bedroom for your money but you may have to look on the Merseybank estate if nothing is around Darley Ave.

This is near Southern Cemetery so transport is not a problem especially with the Metro route going to Hardy Lane when it's finished.

Let me know if you need more help.

South Manchester is certainly more fashionable but I think you pay for that in the prices. Also depends if you want a fashionable lifestyle when you get there, otherwise, is it worth it?

I'm not fashionable......just "on the fringes" of society. So i'd rather be somewhere that accept that, whereever that "somewhere" might be.

I'm not fashionable......just "on the fringes" of society. So i'd rather be somewhere that accept that, whereever that "somewhere" might be.

Sorry, by fashionable I meant going to the local bars/cafes/restaurants/independent shops on a regular basis. That's why the fashionable areas of the south, Withington/Didsbury/Chorlton have their cachet.

I meant going to the local bars/cafes/restaurants/independent shops on a regular basis.

I never realised just how unfashionable I am until now!

Had a look at darley avenue.....the response from the Chorlton fanboi was "not really, it's estate".....wonder what he'll suggest next?

Anyone got any experience of the Longley Lane/Palatine Road area of Northenden/Didsbury border?

I lived in Manc as a student and for a while afterwards. During that time I lived in:

Rusholme

Longsight

Levenshulme

Chorlton *** hardy and

Eccles.

Chorlton was OK, seems to have been tarted up a bit since I lived there too. All the other areas I would avoid.

Palatine road is the bottom end of student land IIRC, there's a lot of large houses divided up into flats there. It's seems pretty quite round that way from what I remember.

Just noticed the swear filter has something against Chorlton...

Edited by trundlenut
over enthusiastic swear filter.

I had friends just off Palantine Road in Withington or was it Didsbury, anyway, it was a good place to go for a night out. It was an easy bus ride from Sale, South Manchester. I lived in Sale for three years in a couple of properties and I liked it. It had good links to the city via the tram, and it was easy to get to the flesh pots of Didsbury and Chorlton-cough-Hardy.

How about this, it says corporate client so I imagine they are desperate to sell - a cheeky 150k might tempt them.

3 bed semi-detached house for sale in Sale - Find a Property

It's a shame Google Maps Streetview doesn't stretch to Sale, but it would be ideal to explore a lot of the Manchester properties you listed above.