DSG or not?

Here in Oz there have been some owners (mostly VW, but Skoda isn't very popular here yet) unhappy with the operation of their 6 speed DSGs (slow take-up of drive, rough changes). The response from many of the dealers has been pretty poor "They are all like that, just get used to it."

Some have managed to get their mechatronic unit changed (the electro-mechanical control unit for the DSG), and that seems to fix the problem.

As others have said : Test drive thoroughly, and buy the one you prefer. But remember the 170 PD TDI isn't very well suited to short journeys and heavy stop-start traffic (DPFs don't like it).

I prefer the simplicity and control and reliability and price of a manual gear box, but I rarely drive in heavy traffic and I tend to keep my cars for 10 years or more. You may have different circumstances, so a DSG may be better for you.

:rolleyes:

But all that stuff can be turned on from Vag-Com VCDS,

It'l surprise you what can be turned on !!

It'll surprise me even more if Vag-Com VCDS can turn a manual box into a DSG ;)

:mad: Also in manual mode the gearbox will automatically change up a gear at approximately 250 RPM higher than in sport mode; if you leave changing gear too late you run the risk of the gearbox changing up at almost the same time as you carry out the manual change' date=' thus causing a dual change.[/font'][/color]

This is happening because you are pressing the kickdown button at the end of the accelerator. You can use 100% throttle without activating the button and use the tdi's power reserves without changing gear

I agree with the double shift problem, have experienced it myself a few times. I don't think it should change for you, I think it should just bounce of the limiter if you fail to make the change, that would have offered more precise control

After going back to driving my Fabia (The octy's running costs are too high) it makes you realise that while quick, DSG is actually quite a rough changing gearbox. The 6 speed tip in the Fabia is much smoother (because it's slushy). Deffo prefer the DSG over the tip, but until Skoda offer it in the furby like they do in the Ibiza, then what can you do:mad:

I echo some of the comments about test driving - make sure you can have a good go in some start/stop traffic and lots of junctions/roundabouts. I find the DSG can become a bit confused about which gear it thinks you need just as you want something else which means the box is up and down the gears like a yo-yo meaning it can be quite rough gear changes. The other issue is pulling onto roundabouts/out of junctions - you put your foot down and nowt happens for a few seconds until the boost comes on then you are into seconds - if you leave the gearbox in S the pull away is a lot quicker. Suppose that might be overcome to some extent if you had the petrol engine so can't be 100% sure it's the DSG.

This is happening because you are pressing the kickdown button at the end of the accelerator. You can use 100% throttle without activating the button and use the tdi's power reserves without changing gear

I agree with the double shift problem, have experienced it myself a few times. I don't think it should change for you, I think it should just bounce of the limiter if you fail to make the change, that would have offered more precise control

After going back to driving my Fabia (The octy's running costs are too high) it makes you realise that while quick, DSG is actually quite a rough changing gearbox. The 6 speed tip in the Fabia is much smoother (because it's slushy). Deffo prefer the DSG over the tip, but until Skoda offer it in the furby like they do in the Ibiza, then what can you do:mad:

The Octavia 1.4 TSi DSG should be cheaper to run than the Fabia 1.6 Tiptronic. Better mpg, much lower emmisions and better performance - especially with its torque.

I echo some of the comments about test driving - make sure you can have a good go in some start/stop traffic and lots of junctions/roundabouts. I find the DSG can become a bit confused about which gear it thinks you need just as you want something else which means the box is up and down the gears like a yo-yo meaning it can be quite rough gear changes. The other issue is pulling onto roundabouts/out of junctions - you put your foot down and nowt happens for a few seconds until the boost comes on then you are into seconds - if you leave the gearbox in S the pull away is a lot quicker. Suppose that might be overcome to some extent if you had the petrol engine so can't be 100% sure it's the DSG.

Be interesting to compare the 7 speed DSG with the 6 speed. Somebody must have tried both?

The other issue is pulling onto roundabouts/out of junctions - you put your foot down and nowt happens for a few seconds until the boost comes on then you are into seconds - if you leave the gearbox in S the pull away is a lot quicker. Suppose that might be overcome to some extent if you had the petrol engine so can't be 100% sure it's the DSG.

I know what you mean, it feels like a delay, but it's only really very short. I've adjusted to it now, and to be honest, lots of normal autoboxes do it as well. It's worst if you roll towards a roundabout on the overrun, then stamp on the pedal- if you feed the throttle back on it's not so bad.

Presumably that's a conventional torque converter+epicyclic auto then?

I beleive it's a Aisin AW Medium torque capacityTF-60 Series

World's first lightweight, compact and high-performance 6-speed AT suitable for vehicles up to 3 liter class by adopting Lepelletier system geartrain

*Based on Lepelletier system

Only small car to have such a gearbox