scout towbar (again)

:confused:just ordered a 2008 scout tdi. I regularly tow a small fishing boat.I have read the forum comments. (maybe to late)checked skoda .uk. are there any further comments on the subject? has anyone had a skoda dealer fitted tow-bar. recently. and at what cost? Have I made a costly mistake in the skoda mire? Re-assurances needed. mike

I know over here in Australia the Skoda have lost a lot of customers who loved the car, and then found out that the dead weight on the towball itself is so small in SKodas/VW/Audi that despite them saying it can tow 2000kg, it can't cope with the weight on the towball as its not really setup for the chassis properly and can't be.

Funny enough I suspect that despite the ad showing the Toureg pulling the plane, the only reason it can is that there is no weight on the towball itself otherwise in reality it would break off.

I had my 4x4 towbar factory fitted, at a cost of about £250. The dealer reckoned about 4 hours fitting, plus the cost of the bar - around £600!!

If this is coming from the factory, why not see if you can get it added to the order?

Skoda UK do not support the factory fitted towbar (and electrics) on the Scout due to the increased ride height. It would appear that Skoda only produce the removable ball arm in one size, and so on the Scout it effectively needs to be shorter so lowering the height (from ground) of the 50mm ball when fitted on the Scout - hence the need for a third party fitting.

As a result they do not support the OEM wiring kit - some users on here have this kit fitted and have reported no problems. I had my towbat fitted by the supplying dealer and found that they wouldn't fit the OEM wiring as Skoda UK didn't support it - this is a great shame as the OEM kit integrates fully with the reversing sensors and alarm system!

i used a standerd 4x4 removable tow bar from towsure but splashed out on skoda electrics wich the dealer programed foc , i find the extra hight an advantage, cost £300 all in

i used a standerd 4x4 removable tow bar from towsure but splashed out on skoda electrics wich the dealer programed foc , i find the extra hight an advantage, cost £300 all in

How does that work with the bumper? mike

the bumper was already cut from the factory, it was a good fit and no obstruction, hope this helps !!!!

thanks.do I understand you right that the car arrived with the hole already cut out? So far had a random ring around for quotes from skoda franchised dealers for skoda electrics (single socket 13pin +converter) and detachable tow bar they varied from £625 -£800 the cheapest was from one of the dearest areas and the most expensive quote was up north? how does that happen? mike

Yes not so much a hole but a notch in the lower edge,i some time's wonder if the dealers up the costs because thay are avoiding the job!!

I had a Scout ( 08 ) towbar fitted by the dealer last September .

Total cost was exactly £ 500 using Skoda Tow Bar , electrics and Adapter . I am sure that was not the cheapest place but I trust them . The adapter ( ? from 12 to 7 pin ) has an inbuilt sensor apparently which decouples the reversing sensors when fitted .

I think that there is now a detachable version for the Scout . the brand is Westfalia .

Tow Bar ZGB1Z3092101

Electrics EEA600101AEL4

Adapter EAZ000001A

It all works fine except that the end of the tow bar hits the odd speed hump , but this has been reported elsewhere .

Parts £ 302

Labour £ 123

had a quote yesterday from the company that fitted out my audi towbar. £345 fitted. this was a fixed towbar with the vag wiring kit, or £500 with detachable westfalia tow-towbar. which is a bit more like it? mike

• 2 weeks later...

One of the disadvantages of buying " add ons " which are not factory sourced is the paucity of written information IMHO vis a vis the towbar fitted to my Scout .

However one useful " security extra " , discovered this evening , is that if you detach the electric connector when the car is locked , you set off the alarm .