Cat Back Exhausts

fitted a magnex cat-back to mine and it ran an extra 10BHP year on year, same rolling road with no other mods save for about 30k miles :D

I know other factors will contribute, air temp etc, Nice noise too, but better still with a de-cat so I'm told.

By reading threads on briskoda

It seems that a backcat isnt up to much on the TDI engine

A decat system is the way to get any real gains

Am i right when i arrive at this asumption?

*Im looking for an aftermarket exhaust and dont want to waste money on a back cat if they arent worth it comared to a decat

well the cat is the most restrictive part so yeah a decat on a standard exhaust will make more difference. i upgraded both the manifold and the decat before the catback on my civic and the difference was unreal, catbacks are really just for sound n looks.

id imagine my vrs to sound pretty dreadful with no backbox on? or is the mid section so baffled up that its not too loud?

Why would it sound dreadful? i've no centre box, straight pipe from the cat. Diesels dont make much exhaust noise UNLESS you remove boxes and even at that, it doesn't sound loud or "corsa-ish"

minimal gains by decatting IIRC but the sounds great :thumbup:

Had a cat back with sports rear box put in, didn't feel any different but made a bit of noise when warmed up after 1/2 an hour.

went back and had a decat put in and it felt a fair bit more "free revving" at higher rpms and sounds quality at full chat

Dovit, do you have any performance gains from your cat back, or is it just noise and looks?

"FEELS" smoother but i'd only know when i decat :thumbup:

I'd rather remove just the back box than spend 100's on a system ;):D

Had a cat back with sports rear box put in, didn't feel any different but made a bit of noise when warmed up after 1/2 an hour.

went back and had a decat put in and it felt a fair bit more "free revving" at higher rpms and sounds quality at full chat

Totally agree. I'm running decated, 3 inch turbo downpipe with Miltek cat-back sports exhaust, sounds great and shifts through the revs.....a little drop in torque but it is a lot smoother and feels like an reasonable improvement in bhp...... also nothing to stop the soot :D