Which engine to choose?

Hi everyone, I've wandered onto this forum after browsing the net for ages and visiting my local skoda dealer today. I'm thinking of buying a Fabia 1 estate and am trying to cost the difference between the basic 1.2 petrol and the 1.4 TDI 80bhp. I'm unlikely to sell the car so am not interested in resale value, i tend to keep cars till they die! Obviously the diesel is more expensive to buy and insure but it's cheaper to run and to tax. I've created an excel spreadsheet to list the yearly cost of each car. Based on my calculations to date the diesel will take 6 years before it saves me any money.

However, and this is where you guys hopefully come in, I can't find out what the service interval for each car is and the estimated service costs. Any chance some friendly fabia owners could fill me in with a rough idea on these points?

Thanks ever so much :)

It all depends on what you use it for and how you drive.

If mainly town and the odd trip then it might be pointless buying the diesel.

If you do some journeys then the diesel or bigger engine will work out better than a base or the HTP1.2.

Just one other question

When you say the Fabia 1 do you mean the Fabia mk1 or the current Fabia Mk2 in "1" spec and trim?

If you're talking about the "new" Fabia 2 estate in "1" spec then you need to drive them both and see what fits your budget. Dont forget to calculate discounts!!!

For the same price as the "1" TDI there's the Blueline HTP model

Servicing

Either variable or set to 1 yr 10,000/12,000 miles

if you really want to see money savings? Then don't buy a new one and buy a Felicia. Spend £1000 save £9000

Edited by Captain Sisko

Thanks for your reply Captain Sisko, I'm looking to buy a brand new Fabia 1 - the 09 plate.

I've already costed the fuel difference, special offers etc it's really the servicing costs I'm looking for :) Does anyone know what the difference in servicing costs are between the diesel and the petrol? Are they both 10/12,000 miles?

Fair point on the older car to save money but I'm not a mechanic and my poor brother is fed up crawling about under my car keeping it on the road. The time has come for a new dogmobile something that's covered by a warranty :)

Edited by chaumsong

Costs depends on where you get the work done and how often.

If you know a good mechanic, then provided the works done with VAG/Skoda parts the warranty is unaffected plus you'll make a saving there.

Oil changes round Bolton way, just an oil change after getting prices for my cousins Fabia once

£35 approx - at my Mechanics

£40 at a fast fit place

£130 at Parkside Skoda

£160 or maybe more at the VW main dealer.

I agree that if you do a lot of town driving and short trips the petrol is best but make sure you get the 70 BHP Twin Cam 12V engine as the base SOHC engine is gutless:thumbup: Even the 70 BHP HTP needs revs but it is a rorty little 3 cylinder and has some character.

The 1.4 TDI is much more relaxed to drive and still has a nice three pot thrum but it's not as sweet as the petrol.Avoid the greenline model if you just do town and short trips as you may have particulate filter problems.:thumbup: