Fuel Filter - quick job?

Hi,

I am about to take my car in for it's 3rd year service, MOT and end of warranty inspection, however my 2nd year service was done at an independent and I don't think the fuel filter was changed!

I know the fuel filter is around £25 for the part itself but do you think the dealer will fit it at no extra labour cost while doing all the other bits? How long does it take and is it easy for them to do?

If it's going to cost more I will get a independent to do it as it's most likely going to be cheaper anyway.

Thanks

Chris

Hi there the fuel filter is a 5 min job. It's the behind the drivers headlight. All you need is a set of pliers to remove the hose clips and it lifts out. Its only held in with three plastic clips. I got mine from Anrew Pages think it was about 11 quid.

Regards Chris:)

It is easy, as said above, the filters are date stamped on the top for you to check.

If you change it yourself do not remove the pipes immediately after driving as the fuel system will be pressurised and fuel will spurt out. Leave overnight to allow the pressure to decay then remove pipes with plenty of old rags around to catch splliage.

Only thing to watch out for is you have to prime the filter.

By this I mean empty the old filter (via the water drain tap at the bottom) into the new filter. Make sue you drain a little bit out of the old filter first as it may be water and also ensure you fill the new filter through the hose connection that comes from the fuel tank feed. This way you ensure that the fuel you are putting into the new filter is on the 'dirty' side of the filter and will get filtered by the new filter.

If you don't at least partially fill the new filter it will be very difficult to start the car. I actually flattened my battery once as I had been cranking the starter for over 2 minutes without success.

Only thing to watch out for is you have to prime the filter.

By this I mean empty the old filter (via the water drain tap at the bottom) into the new filter. Make sue you drain a little bit out of the old filter first as it may be water and also ensure you fill the new filter through the hose connection that comes from the fuel tank feed. This way you ensure that the fuel you are putting into the new filter is on the 'dirty' side of the filter and will get filtered by the new filter.

If you don't at least partially fill the new filter it will be very difficult to start the car. I actually flattened my battery once as I had been cranking the starter for over 2 minutes without success.

And this bit as well.