Super unleaded in a 1.4 MPI W reg

I think there is lots of threads on super unleaded fuel and benefits and what not, but after having a look through there is no mentions of any older 1.4 fabias.

SO.

Can I even use super unleaded in my 2000 1.4 fabia?

And will it have any effect?

Many thanks in advance.:D

I dont think you'd get any noticeable gains using Super unleaded. It only ever came out due to cars with high compression ratios needing a fuel that didn't pre-detonate. Hence the likes of STI's and Evo's etc having to use it due to their relatively high compression ratio's. There have been countless experiments out there claiming it does nothing to normal cars but some have said that it does add a few bhp. So try it and see what you think. I cant imagine that your car wouldn't run on it but i'm sure someone will confirm for you. I think the main gain with super is the cleaning additives that are added to the fuel which you generally dont get (although with some you do) lower quality fuels. :thumbup:

I think that the only "damage" will be to your wallet. You should find that these fuels, if bought from the mainstream fuel companies, like ESSO and BP and maybe SHELL (you might suffer more wallet damage from card skiming at the SHELL outlets though), are well loaded with engine cleaners etc - so your engine might enjoy that. If I were you, if you are going to use this fuel as a "trial", then you should try to do so on a longish run - ie empty the entire tank, to get best benefit from this "clean out". Car might feel "better" in as much as drivability might be improved by using this fuel, but any real power output gains will either be zero or negligible as this engine was not designed to optimise itself to this fuel.

I first tried this about 20 years ago when superunleaded first appeared in some areas - just to see what happened, it was down in Cornwell and the car was a 1984 Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia, it certainly felt better in hot weather and MPG was up - but that was based only on one tank full, and when you have paid more your brain should make it feel a bit better!

Waste of money in your car - the ECU will not recognise it and it will be metered in exactly the same way as standard 95RON fuel. In the past super unleaded would have givent the advantage of ultra low sulphur - which gives reduced emission and longer CAT life, but since the beginning of this year (IIRC), all petrol in the UK is now ultra low sulphur by law.

Some fuels (Shell V-power etc) claim additional benefits due to additives usually cleaning additives. They may or not work, the jury is still out, the vast majority of discussions agree there seems no benefit.

You can use it, it won't damage the engine.

But it's dearer than standard unleaded!

You won't really see much benefit mpg wise although the engine might run better.

I used to fill company vans with BP Ultimate Diesel, certainly made the engine rev cleaner through the range and slightly more refined at cruising speed.

now since I don't drive that often I just fill with normal stuff and use injector cleaner.

Once every 2/3 years should be enough.

Many thanks for all this info guys,

might give it a go on a couple of tanks. only really want to do it to "try something different" in my boring car life at the moment!

being 17, you cant get many frills. :(